Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X hit by 17 year old kid who just got his license, what now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel for you. Five Tesla locations and non can take your car? That's ridiculous. Sounds like you're going to wait 2-3 months before you can get the car back. They should have taken your car and give you another MX loaner while waiting.

Every time I read a thread like this, I want to cancel my MX order while I still can.

Right - because you would rather take the hit driving another car - one that could have possibly rolled over.

Reactions: T-Mom and IdaX
I had a good experience at Autonation, they were reccmd by tesla for body repairs. I'm in the DFW area, but i presume they are a nationwide chain. They did a great job and repaired quickly, parts even came quickly. That being said, they were able to give an on the spot estimate.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Out of curiosity, does the insurance company think the other driver is at 100% fault or is it shared fault. Hard to judge from the video, but looks like your Tesla is going a bit fast in a neighborhood. Maybe not, but has me wondering.
Also think that could be more than $20K damage and yea, you don't want a car with a bend frame. Husband says "Uh Oh Gieco. Pressure them". Not sure why he says that.

Reactions: T-Mom and lardog
OP! sorry to see the video and the car damage. I do agree it seemed like the.X was driving a bit fast for being residential road. However the other car came out of into driving lane after being the view blocked from opposite side... Its important to know who at fault is..BTW which year is your Model X anyways? If its last year no way is it 85K as a brand new one is 85K now that too Raven. Most 2018 are now selling at Mid 70K in used market. Is yours a Performance model?

That damage is gonna be way more than 30k. I think in airbags alone is 30k if all deployed. I remember in my rav4 they told me if driver side airbags and driver side curtain airbags deploy its 12k minimum. You look like all of them deployed. Your best bet is to have them total that vehicle. Personally I wouldn’t want to drive it after a hit and repair of that magnitude. Insurance companies are the worse. My rav got hit the other day and they wanted to give me 3500 and when I brought it to the shop of my choice they told me it was gonna be 9k I let the shop deal with insurance and got my check for the totaled vehicle 2 weeks later since it was over a certain percent of the vehicle. I hope for your sake it’s the same experience I had. I now drive a Model x and happier than a Hindu Cow.

Reactions: IdaX
Also the idea that damage cost needs to be 80% of FMV or some other metric to total a car is bunk. I've seen cars totaled for under 50% damage cost to FMV. Also has anyone checked that the battery is fine? Gotta imagine if there's damage there cost to repair skyrockets.

Reactions: jboy210
My quarter panel cost $10k alone to replace. Your damage is minimum $45k judging from other quotes I've seen. And that's before the shop tears into it. It's going to go up for sure. Pay one of the shops $100 to go do an onsite estimate where-ever it's at. They don't want the car anyway so they should give you a high estimate to get it close to being totaled. That's what they do here in Colorado. But we only have two shops now so they're always slammed.
Include $70/day for a rental at 6 months of waiting and repairs. That's another $12k.
Diminished value should come back between $5-10k.

All of these estimates are from my experience. YMMV.

OP! sorry to see the video and the car damage. I do agree it seemed like the.X was driving a bit fast for being residential road. However the other car came out of into driving lane after being the view blocked from opposite side... Its important to know who at fault is..BTW which year is your Model X anyways? If its last year no way is it 85K as a brand new one is 85K now that too Raven. Most 2018 are now selling at Mid 70K in used market. Is yours a Performance model?

If you noticed the other driver was parked on the wrong side of the street too which means he would have gone into on-coming traffic in order to park the car the way he did. Also see that the sun was behind the Ops X so that may have also attributed to poor visibility.

Reactions: ash9.58
Based on my own repair experience with our Tesla, I have found that the final repair cost ends up being at least 2x what the initial adjuster estimate was. Once they take off the outside parts and look at the structural and suspension components, there's always more damage.

Reactions: IdaX
I think initial estimates are low because they can't estimate what they can't see. But they know that too. So if initial estimate is 30k, they probably think 40-50k. Still below their supposed 80% mark.

So, as others suggested, you have to the other insurance company know the cost may increase more than they expect. Make sure they know what rental costs will add up to. Get a "diminished value" company involved now so they know that will be part of the cost.

One thing I don't know is the salvage value of your vehicle. Glass and body panels are worth a lot for most vehicles, but I don't know if Tesla approved shops will use salvage parts. And your car is so new that most people who need parts may be reluctant to use salvage parts.

Our 1 year old X w/ FUSC and FSD got smashed by another car a few days ago. All airbags were deployed. Here's a video of the accident in case you are interested:
piper pl. car accident

My questions are:
1) The adjuster that came out, said due to the high value of the car he can't total it, and it's going to get fix. He proceeds do an estimate and thinks it will cost 30k. In browsing the forums, I see some other X's in accidents much less than this and and their cost to fix is 20k already. Looking at these photos does this look like a repair job or a total? The frame to the trunk is bent, as well as FWD on both sides.

2) I called the Pomona Tesla Body shop and they won't even take the vehicle until October as they are at capacity. I called 5 other local tesla approved shops, and some don't do structural damage and some are at capacity until Oct as well. So is the only option I have now is to wait it out until Oct, for Tesla to do a full tear down and proper estimate?

View attachment 451576 View attachment 451577 View attachment 451578 View attachment 451579 View attachment 451580 View attachment 451581 View attachment 451582 View attachment 451583 View attachment 451584

51% repair cost ratio to present value should = 100% loss.

Reactions: forkee
I too was hit by a newly licensed teenager. I'm comparing my repair experience with an M3 to your X, so this is a little bit of apples and oranges, but the two things that blew my mind were the cost of the repair and the wait time to get it all done - it took me 60 days to get the car into the shop and 30 days to repair it. The lead time on ordering parts from Tesla is insane. So yes, a full three months for nothing but body damage - no lights, cameras or sensors damaged. Cost? $15,000. Knowing what I know now about the Achilles heal of Tesla, I'm not sure I'd buy one again.

Attachments

• Collision Damage.jpg
    Collision Damage.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 87
Looks to be twisted and will not be repairable. Based on the photos the sooner it gets torn down and assessed properly for frame damage it will be written off. Once the integrity of the vehicles structure is compromised it is not repairable regardless of how much the damage is. Good luck with the claim

Last edited:
Reactions: ash9.58
Our 1 year old X w/ FUSC and FSD got smashed by another car a few days ago. All airbags were deployed. Here's a video of the accident in case you are interested:
piper pl. car accident

My questions are:
1) The adjuster that came out, said due to the high value of the car he can't total it, and it's going to get fix. He proceeds do an estimate and thinks it will cost 30k. In browsing the forums, I see some other X's in accidents much less than this and and their cost to fix is 20k already. Looking at these photos does this look like a repair job or a total? The frame to the trunk is bent, as well as FWD on both sides.

2) I called the Pomona Tesla Body shop and they won't even take the vehicle until October as they are at capacity. I called 5 other local tesla approved shops, and some don't do structural damage and some are at capacity until Oct as well. So is the only option I have now is to wait it out until Oct, for Tesla to do a full tear down and proper estimate?

View attachment 451576 View attachment 451577 View attachment 451578 View attachment 451579 View attachment 451580 View attachment 451581 View attachment 451582 View attachment 451583 View attachment 451584
Did you mention to the adjuster that you have a stiff neck since the accident?

Did you call Service King? They did a fender bender repair for me, contract with Farmers.

Also, I agree with the independent adjuster recommendation. It will cost you some money, but it will decrease your headache and increase the chances that you get everything you are legally entitled to.