Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X Ideal Ride Height?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there ideal ride height settings for the X so that it is highway efficient but doesn't grind the tires in the wheel well? Does this setting sufficiently adjust when the vehicle gets off the highway and begins to do turns, etc? Or do manual changes need to be made?

Very low is not an option for Highway. I'm set to Standard and Highway (where the only choices are Never, Always or Highway).
I've often wondered about this, but never tested it. I don't fully understand what Automatic Lowering does and doesn't do. What I don't know is when/why would it switch from low to any other height if you haven't manually changed the height prior to triggering it. It seems to me like if you didn't set "Always Low" or "Lower at X MPH" it would stay wherever you set it unless there was a constraint on your setting (like if Very High was only allowed below 15 MPH and High was only allowed below 35 MPH). However, I don't know why there would be a speed constraint on Very Low. As such, it seems to me like "Always Low" or "Lower at X MPH" might inadvertently cause the vehicle to raise to Low when it is set to Very Low and they are triggered, but in such scenarios, one could theoretically leave Automatic Lowering unset and then nothing would trigger it to go to Low or normal, so it could stay at Very Low. So I have two questions you might know the answer to since you made the quoted comment:
  1. Do you know when/why the vehicle would switch to "Normal" when "Always Low" is set or Automatic Lowering is disabled?
  2. Was it your intent to imply that if you set the vehicle to Very Low while you are driving it will raise during the drive regardless of how Automatic Lowering is configured?

I don't know everything there is to know about this either, but I can tell you what my MXP100D does. I drove my car in LOW for the first several days I got the car. Kept it in low everywhere, and it was perfectly fine, so that's where I keep it normally, and I also have the Automatic Height Adjustment set to ALWAYS adjust for speed. The requirement for towing is to have the car in STANDARD, so I always put the car in STANDARD just before hooking up the boat. When I back down the boat ramp, I put it in VERY HIGH to keep the car out of the water. Early on I would forget to switch it back from VERY HIGH to a lower setting. The car automatically moves from VERY HIGH back to standard at some speed on the highway - not sure what speed that is. All I know is I would remember when I got home from the river, and when I would check it, I would see that it switched from VERY HIGH to STANDARD, which is where you want it for towing. If you're not towing (in TOW mode), I believe I remember it switching from STANDARD to LOW at a certain speed as well (maybe 80mph?). The car also learns. Now sometimes when I back my car up to front of the garage where my boat is, the car will automatically rise from LOW to STANDARD in anticipation of having to tow the boat. I also put my car in VERY LOW from time to time on the interstate, and I've noticed that when I slow down and get off the interstate, it will change back to LOW, which is where I tend to keep it. I don't think VERY LOW causes the tires to bump the suspension or anything else. That has never happened to me. If someone has different experiences, would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks!

I once realized that standard provides a noticeably more comfortable ride on highways, so I disable lowering unless I’m on a road trip and care about range.

I also use auto rise in various locations in San Francisco as the roads here are a reflection of how the city is managed.

The settings seem to reset every once in a while, maybe during upgrades not sure.

• Helpful
Reactions: RedXowner
How do you keep '22 Model X set to Standard height? It seems to revert to Low every time I drive. My '16 X was set to Standard height with the option to lower at speed set to Never.
I noticed in the manual that ride height set to Medium (Standard) adjusts to low at 55 mph. But how to lock that out? Wear on the inner tread was much higher on my '16MX when running in Low.

I once realized that standard provides a noticeably more comfortable ride on highways, so I disable lowering unless I’m on a road trip and care about range.

I also use auto rise in various locations in San Francisco as the roads here are a reflection of how the city is managed.

The settings seem to reset every once in a while, maybe during upgrades not sure.
Standard ( now Mefium) in '22 Xs is not sticky. It will reset to low at Highway speeds. Annoying to lose the lock functionality esp. if excessive inner tread wear occurs. I don't know as I have only 1500 miles on the car.

I'd like to know more about this and the inner treadwear. I'm trying out standard now to see how that works. If tread wears more even on low than I probably don't want to keep using it, unless there's a significant hit to range at standard versus low.
What year is your X? Ride height setting was sticky in my '16 X, and the suspension geometry caused high wear on the inner tread. Maybe the suspension geometry was changed after the refresh? If so, then even wear in Low might be possible.

What year is your X? Ride height setting was sticky in my '16 X, and the suspension geometry caused high wear on the inner tread. Maybe the suspension geometry was changed after the refresh? If so, then even wear in Low might be possible.
2017 (December). I'm planning on trying standard for a bit, but the question is whether I should do automatic lowering at speed. Perhaps not if I'm doing this to save tire wear, especially since I can't rotate the backs to the fronts. Thoughts are welcome.

The half shaft seems to be more susceptible above low, but I always drive in chill mode and conservatively at that. I've never come close to flooring it. (no need)

I'd like to know more about this and the inner treadwear. I'm trying out standard now to see how that works. If tread wears more even on low than I probably don't want to keep using it, unless there's a significant hit to range at standard versus low.
What year is your X? Ride height setting was sticky in my '16 X, and the suspension geometry caused high wear on the inner tread. Maybe the suspension geometry was changed after the refresh? If so, then even wear in Low might be
2017 (December). I'm planning on trying standard for a bit, but the question is whether I should do automatic lowering at speed. Perhaps not if I'm doing this to save tire wear, especially since I can't rotate the backs to the fronts. Thoughts are welcome.

The half shaft seems to be more susceptible above low, but I always drive in chill mode and conservatively at that. I've never come close to flooring it. (no need)
my experience was half shaft noise was more noticeable above Low, but only under moderate-heavy acceleration. I put most of the miles on my 16 X in Medium, almost none in Low because of the tire were issue. So, automatic lowering was disabled. My tire where was terrible: 5500 on the original Conti tires, 12,000 on the second set (Michelin). I don't have enough miles on my '22 X to say whether inner treadwear on low is an issue, it would be helpful if others could advise on this.

Reactions: JPWX

It varies from vehicle to vehicle, but inner treadwear was still a problem even on Ravens. Some people claim to have no problem, and others claim they can't get 10k on a set of rear tires. See Caution Model X, Hidden Tire Wear and scroll down to #20 for an example of what can happen if you don't keep an eye on it. You can't see that without getting down low and looking for it (generally from behind vs beside). My first set not only had extreme inner wear, but it also wasn't even, so I felt it before I saw it and then lucked out to see it before I had a blowout after feeling it. I've ordered the N2itive kit and expect to have it delivered and installed soon. After doing some math, I believe it would have paid for itself by now if I had done it when I first heard about it 80k miles ago. Hopefully I have my X a lot more miles so it still can, but time will tell.