Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X instead of S - Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had originally looked at getting an S several months ago and really liked it. My only "complaint" was that I'm not only tall but long-waisted so I sit pretty high and the roof line interferes with my view of stop lights, etc but that happens to me in a lot of cars and isn't a showstopper. I held off buying because I knew the X was coming and eventually put down a deposit. At this point, I'm 20k in line and I have no real expectation of getting one until at least July of 2106. My current lease expires in March. I'm going to wait and see what the wait period looks like come March but if it's going to be another 6 months or more I may bail and get an S.

I was trying to list off all the reasons I would prefer the X over the S and I could only come up with the better visibility due to the windshield design. The falcon wing doors are neat but not particularly useful to me as I have no kids and rarely have people in the back. Towing is somewhat attractive as I have an ATV that I haul around sometimes but I have a Honda Element that I can tow with instead. I don't care about the air filtration, IMO it's a gimmick unless you have serious allergies and even then it's not all that useful.

I actually think the S looks better and I could get one virtually any time.

So, I end up with the question - what makes you want an X over an S outside of the "I have kids/passengers and want more seating and easier access to rear seating". That seems to be the prevailing sentiment along with towing ability. Maybe there are things I'm not considering.

At this point, I'm 20k in line and I have no real expectation of getting one until at least July of 2106.
You are really patient! ;) j/k

So, I end up with the question - what makes you want an X over an S outside of the "I have kids/passengers and want more seating and easier access to rear seating". That seems to be the prevailing sentiment along with towing ability. Maybe there are things I'm not considering.
I can relate and having the same debate in my head in light of some recent news on MX charging limitations. I am tall, do not have human children, and only one or two people will occupy my MX > 95% of the time. I'm not in love with the Falcon wing doors.

Although I don't have serious allergies, I do like the air filtering bonus. I'm not one to buy cars more than once in a decade so who knows when or where it may come in handy?

You already intend to keep your SUV so I can definitely feel your dilemma. I currently only have a sedan and miss the SUV convenience and higher profile. Towing is also a plus.

/subscribe

If you have any larger breed of dogs then the S is not a very good choice since the back is large in area but low in volume and therefore problematic for larger breeds. Also the rear hatch window is not tinted enough to protect from the harsh sunlight even when driving, this will heat the dogs unnecessarily. For long trips it is very nice to be placed a little higher off the surface of the road an therefore have more visibility which in the end has a safety aspect to consider.

I don't think the X has any more storage than the S (there is some debate that the S has greater storage). I was planning on the X because I like the higher ride of an SUV over a sedan. No kids, need storage. Unless Tesla comes up with folding/removable seats for the X I may go with a S which seems to have a more flexible configuration with the folding rear seat.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

If you have any larger breed of dogs then the S is not a very good choice since the back is large in area but low in volume and therefore problematic for larger breeds. Also the rear hatch window is not tinted enough to protect from the harsh sunlight even when driving, this will heat the dogs unnecessarily. For long trips it is very nice to be placed a little higher off the surface of the road an therefore have more visibility which in the end has a safety aspect to consider.

What... your dogs don't ride in the back seat :wink:

What... your dogs don't ride in the back seat :wink:

Bah..... NO! ;-) But its not ONLY that. Its the hight under the pavilion in the S that is too low for them to stand properly even if back seat folded. So, much better with a taller vehicle. And we have three beasts and two REGULAR children as well.... so need to keep the 4-legged in the back, only due to the law of course! :)

Since I have only ridden and never driven a Model X, I look forward to finding out the real benefits and issues:

The higher profile may make entry and exit easier for the driver.
Guest passengers will love the ease of 2nd row entry and comfort (nothing else like it while standing).
Towing package provides flexible options for transport from trash bins to trailers: http://www.cansporter.com
Windshield allows for more sightseeing while monitoring Autopilot.
Six or seven adult passenger capability. (Only the 2nd row center seat has limited headroom.)
Six Seat Interior provides extra floor space.
Ability to open falcon wing doors with limited side room.
Taller rear hatch may provide extra space for tall items.
Latest design will generate interest by onlookers.

Advantages for Model S:

Better range and faster performance.
Optional Panoramic Roof that opens. (Gives added headroom like Model X.)
Vast cargo space and larger frunk area in some models.
80 Amps charging at home instead of 48 Amps: Update: Model X has a single charger, but only 48A capable

Last edited:
To be honest, the main reason we have an X reserved instead of buying an S is that my spouse prefers the X--I want a Tesla, she wants a minivan/SUV ish vehicle, we're compromising on the X.

More specifically, we have 3 kids, including an infant, and we expect that getting them into and out of the X will be easier than the S, and that the X will be more comfortable when we have adults in the back (e.g. when my parents visit, we'll want to have the option of 4 adults and 3 kids). Automatic rear doors should be helpful, and the ability to get an infant into a seat without crouching low and kneeling on the seat our oldest sits in will be very nice. We also found the S on a test drive to be great for the driver (with the panoramic roof--without, I'm too tall for it to be comfortable), but not great for adults in the back seat. We expect that the X will be better in that regard.

If I were deciding on my own, I'd still probably get the S, because we could get that now, more or less, instead of in 8 or 12 months. But I think there are trade-offs for our likely usage, and so the compromise that makes us both happy is the easiest solution.

I must admit I’m also giving some though to canceling my X reservation (rn# 66xx) and picking up an S instead. Called my DS to see about some of the inventory cars available and if they qualified for the federal tax credit. Talked me into driving a new S with autopilot and second gen seats. Told him I have the luxury of driving my friends Model S when he is out of town but his is a 2013 60K.

Knowing I have my money down for a model X my DS (great guy) is really trying to sell me on a model S? Since they do not work on commission I’m wondering if he know more about the model X production ramp-up…or are they trying to get deliveries up for the 4qt?

My concern about the model X is the falcon-winged doors could be problematic (I saw on a video at the launch where the driver was holding the bottom of the FW door as it was closing to help it latch?). I also like how the S seats fold down, I can throw 2 bikes back there and plenty of room for the dogs.

Why Model X Makes More Sense (for me) than Model S

Benefits of X over S (for me):

• Better visibility due to increased ride height and massive windshield.
  • Falcon Wing Doors - more practical, with easier access to both rear rows and dead sexy. I'm not normally an ostentatious kind of guy but I am looking forward to the looks I'll get when those doors open (and the conversations it will start about Tesla and EVs). Is that wrong?
  • Greater storage capacity, particularly when you have 6 or 7 passengers (S has very little storage room if you're using all 7 seats)
  • Tow hitch allows for flexible add-on storage for bikes, sports equipment, additional luggage, etc.
I guess ride height/visibility and falcon wing doors are the two that clinched it for me. Driving a Highlander Hybrid, I've gotten used to the higher vantage point. When I test drove the Model S, it reminded me of my mom's old Porsche 928 which handled well but was so low to the road that I never really enjoyed driving it. Also, we have 6 or 7 people in the car often enough (on longer trips) that the Model S 5+2 configuration just isn't ideal.

-CB

- - - Updated - - -

My concern about the model X is the falcon-winged doors could be problematic (I saw on a video at the launch where the driver was holding the bottom of the FW door as it was closing to help it latch?).
Pretty sure the video you're talking about was pre-launch and this was a test mule, not a production car. The white Model X in the parking lot with 63277 manufacturer plates on it, right? That was pre-launch. The production Model X cars at the launch event had no trouble opening and closing the FWDs (that I saw) and this was after literally hundreds of openings and closings during the test rides that evening. This isn't to say that there won't be issues with them over time, but I saw no evidence of problems with the FWDs at the launch event.

I also like how the S seats fold down, I can throw 2 bikes back there and plenty of room for the dogs.
Yep, flat folding seats on the S is definitely nice, but I'm OK with the way the current Model X seats work and it looks like the X will more than meet my storage/transportation needs.

I must admit I’m also giving some though to canceling my X reservation (rn# 66xx) and picking up an S instead. Called my DS to see about some of the inventory cars available and if they qualified for the federal tax credit. Talked me into driving a new S with autopilot and second gen seats. Told him I have the luxury of driving my friends Model S when he is out of town but his is a 2013 60K.

Knowing I have my money down for a model X my DS (great guy) is really trying to sell me on a model S? Since they do not work on commission I’m wondering if he know more about the model X production ramp-up…or are they trying to get deliveries up for the 4qt?

My concern about the model X is the falcon-winged doors could be problematic (I saw on a video at the launch where the driver was holding the bottom of the FW door as it was closing to help it latch?). I also like how the S seats fold down, I can throw 2 bikes back there and plenty of room for the dogs.

I think the DS's have instructions of NOT selling the X and I think it's a good strategy for a good reason:

Waiting 8-12 months for a car (when you have already been waiting for ages) might be a little nerve-wracking so they try to please customers that are not entirely sure they should wait that much. Even for non-reservation holders interested in the Model X, the queue is so long right now that it's preferable to go for the Model S. They know that hardcore fans of Model X won't change their decision but doubtful folks might go for a CPO or a new Model S and be happy during at least 1 year. After then, when the painful ramp up is over, they at least will have been driving an S during the wait. Taking out doubtful reservation holders will also speed up the delivery of Model X for the ones that stay in the queue.

Model X is the new one in town so it'll be more attractive to buyers so DS's must go the other direction to keep the interest in Model S.

A lot of good reasons to get an X instead of an S do not apply to you.

I don't think the air filtration is a gimmick. I would pay good money for it. But it all depends on where you live. Where I live, I'm behind dump trucks and tractor trailers pretty much daily, many of them spewing black clouds of exhaust that smell terrible.

One possible additional reason that might apply to you is if you have to occasionally drive around aging parents or grandparents. The higher ride height really helps older folks in getting in and out of a vehicle. I have a Volt (compact car) and a Ford Escape (small SUV), and it is MUCH easier for my grandma to get in and out of the Ford Escape than the Volt.

I initially reserved a Model X because I had always driven an SUV and preferred sitting higher up and having a roomier cabin, plus I wanted AWD. Over this past summer I came close to convincing myself to just go for the Model S given the 70D fit my needs well and between that and the referral program I would have saved a fair amount of money versus waiting for a Model X. Ultimately I decided that I would still be compromising given that I wasn't completely comfortable with the low seating position in the Model S and while I could have lived with it given no alternatives, I would still be longing for a Model X.

I only bought the S because I got tired of waiting for the X.

And everyone around me was telling me to shut-up about Tesla, or buy one.

And boy... do they regret it! Now I talk even MORE about Tesla. But I'm still waiting until I can find a CPO X in my price range.

One reality for the Model S is, for taller people both the front and rear seats are a little difficult to get into (I'm 6'2, both sons are taller, and we all agree), including the driver's seat. If you have back problems, it will be a small struggle. I haven't seen an X except for videos but I'm assuming entry and exit will be a lot easier.

OTOH, I'm quite happy doing a tiny bit of contortion-ing on entry/exit to gain all the driving benefits.

One reality for the Model S is, for taller people both the front and rear seats are a little difficult to get into (I'm 6'2, both sons are taller, and we all agree), including the driver's seat. If you have back problems, it will be a small struggle. I haven't seen an X except for videos but I'm assuming entry and exit will be a lot easier.

OTOH, I'm quite happy doing a tiny bit of contortion-ing on entry/exit to gain all the driving benefits.

As a fellow + 6ft2er I was wondering..

1. Do you have problems with the manoeuvring knees around steering wheel when getting in?

2. Is visibility a problem ie. have to bend forward to look up at traffic lights etc?

3. Is sitting ok? Do you get bad back?