TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

X Off Road

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Local host, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Local host

Local host Member

Stumbled across this on youtube and was wondering if the Model X could pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUGOgF4UgsY

The low centre of gravity would have the range rovers beat. The X's variable traction control and dual motor is probably better as well. I suspect clearance would be the most important variable though. The titanium under plate would also likely be a plus.

Wonder the how the X will / could handle deep water?

Not sure anyone would be willing to try...

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

if suspension can be raised high enough, I'll try. Love Moab trails!

3. Zybane

Zybane Member

At the very minimum you would need to swap out the tires. Not sure how the X's air suspension will handle constant articulation. Also would probably require skid plates of some sort underneath the battery pack. Especially since the X's air suspension doesn't raise the vehicle very high.

4. Local host

Local host Member

I was reading that the land rovers have 10" of ground clearance. I cant find anything for the X other than speculation that it was 8" on high with air.

I wonder how battery life would perform with this sort of driving? Very low speed, but high torque?

5. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Range Rovers have around 11.5" ground clearance and, importantly, low front and rear overhangs. I would not expect the Model X to be as competent off road as a Land Rover. Then again, the Model X will be much better on virtually every other surface so who really cares.

6. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

People who use SUVs the for what they were originally designed :wink:

Yeah, I know, 99% of modern SUVs probably never get to see so much as a gravel road...

7. YoungStranger

YoungStranger Member

I remember a long while ago, when it was assumed that the Model X would be more utility and less sport, people speculating on the off road capabilities. But Didn't Elon himself talk about the off road capability of the model X?

Here is a link to the last time this topic was discussed.
    Off-Road Ability of Model X?

8. hill

hill Member

As a former owner of both American Motors cj5 Jeep and a 2002 Range Rover (almost forgot 2 4x4 ford explorers) , I can tell you with absolute certainty the king of all dogs is the Range Rover. It is underpowered and overweight. Nothing that a Range Rover can do can not be done by virtually any other 4x4 vehicle. That is the opinion of someone who has done everything from rock climbing, to sand dunes, to fire trails etc. Our Montana neighbors with a Subaru can out crawl & out rock climb a Range Rover.

9. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Whether the X can or not -- I don't know. I do know my nerves can't. I get dizzy standing on a curb waiting to cross the street. Y'all enjoy.... I'll stick to the boring pavement, like 90% of the SUV's. :crying:

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

Climbing my daughter's shale driveway in the snow will be the biggest challenge for my X.

11. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Watched the whole thing. Nice. The takeaway - Utah is an amazingly beautiful place that would be even better with fewer - the fewer the better - Range Rovers
    icchk

12. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Tesla appears to have a SuperCharging station in Moab. Hmmm... ;-)

13. gene

gene Active Member

#13 gene, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    I have a lot of experience on these trails around Moab. But most of my wilder travels have been several trips through arctic regions and Sahara crossings both east to west and north to south. Those of you hung up on comparing ground clearance, it is the line you take that is more important than an inch or two here or there in clearance. Very important is behavior of the differentials. I think the Tesla traction control works very well and the ability to go as slow as needed but with full torque is a huge advantage Tesla would have over these other vehicles. Suspension articulation is very important, I expect the coils would be much better than the air suspension in this regard.

The biggest #1 problem I see in how the X comes is the wheel diameter. For off road you not want but NEED a lot of tire profile. You need it for flex, you need it so you can "air down" 30% or so for greater traction, and you need the high tire profile so boulders, stair steps, and ridges do not pinch your tire all the way to the wheel causing a sidewall blowout. I am considering an X to replace my Dodge Cummins ( I have diesel guilt) and I would still like to keep up on my back country travels with the X. I am waiting to see if the 19's will fit on the X, meaning clear the brakes. If they do, I can fit them with a proper tire that yields the same outside diameter as the 22's. Also, I would wait for the 90D to be available with coils.

14. postpast

postpast Member

Had to do a quick chop to visualize the X with small rims off road style tires and slight lift; looks pretty cool.

Attached Files:

15. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I can also tell you that the Range Rover is useless in real offroading. I had a Defender 90 in Afghanistan - what a POS. The Turbo Diesel Toyota Hilux we had smoked it with a four cylinder engine! The HUMVEE did well too.

My FJ Cruiser does better than a Rover - granted my FJ is highly modified.

I would never take an X offered due to the most expensive part being the in the most vulnerable location...

• Informative x 1
  16. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

17. Local host

Local host Member

The vehicle spec page says it has 150kwh "Tesla" battery...

18. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Which is why I posted it here. Sure doesn't look like a Tesla pack. Maybe those are Roadster modules?

19. tander

tander Member

It's awesome to see where things are going.

20. Barry

Barry Member

I was in Moab with my Model S about 2 months ago. If you're coming from the east on I-70, take Rt 128 into Moab, instead of 191. Amazingly beautiful area. Did all my off-roading by foot :smile:

Just one word of warning re the Moab superchargers - they are in the parking lot of a Best Western and were often ICEd while I was there, especially in the evenings. I did send a note to the Tesla SC team about this, and they said they'd contact motel management.