Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X Off Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Suspension articulation is very important, I expect the coils would be much better than the air suspension in this regard.

The biggest #1 problem I see in how the X comes is the wheel diameter. For off road you not want but NEED a lot of tire profile. You need it for flex, you need it so you can "air down" 30% or so for greater traction, and you need the high tire profile so boulders, stair steps, and ridges do not pinch your tire all the way to the wheel causing a sidewall blowout. I am considering an X to replace my Dodge Cummins ( I have diesel guilt) and I would still like to keep up on my back country travels with the X. I am waiting to see if the 19's will fit on the X, meaning clear the brakes. If they do, I can fit them with a proper tire that yields the same outside diameter as the 22's. Also, I would wait for the 90D to be available with coils.

Gene - thanks for the intelligent input; I'm a Land Cruiser guy myself, with a BJ40 and a BJ70. And Ford pickups...and all diesel...

My concern with the route you're suggesting - other than that it seems to me the very last place for which Tesla has designed the X is off-road - is the base restriction a coil suspension has versus its air suspension. Now, this is a tentative caveat I hold, and am happy to change it once we get real numbers, but it is as follows: IF the air option gets you the ability of clearance from "A" inches though "E" inches, BUT with springs you get only "D" inches, then, seemingly, air wins out. Am I missing something with my logic here...or just with the lack of hard data?

Gene - thanks for the intelligent input; I'm a Land Cruiser guy myself, with a BJ40 and a BJ70. And Ford pickups...and all diesel...

My concern with the route you're suggesting - other than that it seems to me the very last place for which Tesla has designed the X is off-road - is the base restriction a coil suspension has versus its air suspension. Now, this is a tentative caveat I hold, and am happy to change it once we get real numbers, but it is as follows: IF the air option gets you the ability of clearance from "A" inches though "E" inches, BUT with springs you get only "D" inches, then, seemingly, air wins out. Am I missing something with my logic here...or just with the lack of hard data?
Audubon, I agree with you. That is why I will wait and see what we learn from folks that already have these. Really, what I'd prefer is a full size Tesla pickup but that will be a long time off, if ever. BTW, you are in Cantwell? I am up there almost yearly. I have friends I play music with (I'm a fiddler) in Cantwell and friends that are Park Service Rangers (and fiddlers) at Denali. My favorite area in the north is NWT. From time to time I make the Midway Fiddle Festival, it's 1/2 way between Ft. McPherson and Inuvik in NWT, on the Dempster. Inuit and Athapaskan fiddlers actually play the same tunes we do down here!

So what's the verdict now that the X is out? I was just in a dealer store and they weren't very helpful nor hope-inspiring. Google also comes up short for searches like 'model x lift kit' or 'can you lift a model x'... I guess I could get technical and add 'feasibility' into the search... but I doubt that will help.

I really want a vehicle to take off paved roads in the local forests... not rock crawling, but I don't want to get stuck (sand for example, or stiff clay mud), have to travel 5mph on washboard roads, or worry about bottoming out and bending some preciaion frame element.

Off Road S

Attachments

• IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 121