Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X or 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like my work might be about to offer leasing for electric cars. I currently have a SR+. With the new leasing option I "might" be able to get an X or 3 long range. I've got two children and we're thinking of getting a dog so the X would make sense. However I'm conscious how the 3 is the more recent car and might be better built? Is this true or a new X? I recently had a service and was put in a S and it felt a lot worse that the 3 but it might have been due to its age.

Loaner cars are often locked in chill mode and older smaller battery models which reduces any oomph. Just to add to your mulling over - an S would have dog room in the boot and how often do you need capacity for kids, dog, wife and camping gear? Or a 3 with towbar and trailer...

Reactions: TooEager
Would be amazing if you were permitted an X but this may be restricted due to the price of the car and insurance for a company car scheme.

My company's car scheme allows all variations of Model 3s as well as other brand's EVs.

• Helpful
The X offer a different league of utility to the 3, especially in 6 seater form. The interior passenger space is bigger than some office cubicles.

All Tesla's are badly made, am not sure why the 3 is thought to be any better than a X?

I would also ignore the condition of loaners they are some of the most neglect and abused cars I've driven/sat in Tesla or not.

This is the interior of our X after 3 years and 36k of daily family use. If you can get a X for the same cost as a 3 its surely a no brainer which one to go for?

50096970896_39a18568bc_k_d.jpg

50096970011_851909e44e_k_d.jpg

Having had a 7 seat 100D MX as a courtesy car the past couple of days, I'd definitely say you should go for it if you have the option and a need for transporting family regularly. The one I had was a 2017 (17) plate and had done 46k miles, and whilst it didn't feel as tight as my 3 and squeaked a bit it still felt great.

You can also see where the extra money is going. Whilst a 3 isn't lacklustre, having the X open the drivers door as you walk up to it from behind (not from the front - clever) was quite the treat. I picked my 4 year old niece up from school in it and she was spellbound by the falcon doors, and asked if I could pick her up the next day too.

I do also like having the two screens too - you get much more information as you're driving. As great as the 3 screen is, and I don't have any complaints about it really, it's just sortof there on the dash whereas the X screens are clearly part of the design.

it didn't feel particularly slow even in locked Chill mode, either. If you didn't know any different you wouldn't necessarily think something was wrong.

The X offer a different league of utility to the 3, especially in 6 seater form. The interior passenger space is bigger than some office cubicles.

All Tesla's are badly made, am not sure why the 3 is thought to be any better than a X?

I would also ignore the condition of loaners they are some of the most neglect and abused cars I've driven/sat in Tesla or not.

This is the interior of our X after 3 years and 36k of daily family use. If you can get an X for the same cost as a 3 its surely a no brainer which one to go for?

It would definitely cost more, but I think within what I'm currently paying personally on pcp for a 3 (to be confirmed). Knowing if build from 3/X is better was really the ask. From what I understand build/design iteratively gets better with Tesla (they're relatively new). If your X is good then this is a good sign (I haven't seen one very close up - that'll be the next step...).

It would definitely cost more, but I think within what I'm currently paying personally on pcp for a 3 (to be confirmed). Knowing if build from 3/X is better was really the ask. From what I understand build/design iteratively gets better with Tesla (they're relatively new). If your X is good then this is a good sign (I haven't seen one very close up - that'll be the next step...).
I think build is very subjective, there are so many variables that range from objective measures of panel gaps and faults to subjective measures of "it's not as good as my BMW". The interior of my M3LR is beautiful, the exterior is currently undergoing a full body respray because of a poor paint finish (it's two weeks old).

It's not the first time Tesla have resprayed a whole car. The last person I knew who had it done was a long term Tesla advocate and now has a Porsche Taycan as the respray wasn't much better. If its that bad, I think you'd have been better off rejecting the car personally but lets hope they're doing a better job,

It's not the first time Tesla have resprayed a whole car. The last person I knew who had it done was a long term Tesla advocate and now has a Porsche Taycan as the respray wasn't much better. If its that bad, I think you'd have been better off rejecting the car personally but lets hope they're doing a better job,
It's complicated... My pickup experience was poor as it was, this was the *second* car as "my" car that I'd been given the VIN for was damaged at West Drayton on the day of pickup. I only found out the extent of the required paint correction for this one on Tuesday, past the seven day return period. Rather than get in to a debate about rejecting this car then waiting XXX weeks or months without any car (there's none showing in inventory of my spec), I'm trusting that they make good and deliver me back a car that I can live with for the next few years.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Knowing if build from 3/X is better was really the ask.l

Tesla ability to build reliable cars hasn't really improved, given the whole wooden plank DYIng seen on the Y if anything it might be getting worse.

The 3/X really are about as comparable as an A4 versus Q7.

As a family wagon the utility of the X really is almost unbeatable, if cost isn't an issue your family will love the extra space. We love ours despite it been the most unreliable car we have ever owned.

I'm not really questioning build quality. There's plenty to love and hate about the 3. I'm really trying to understand if there's anything fundamentally different in the design. E.g. the 3 has later hardware and fewer physical buttons. Appreciate they're quite different cars but still interested to hear about these things. The S I drove had physical buttons that looked like they were pulled out of a vauxhall.

Many of the MS and MX touch points were actually Mercedes.

You’d expect a company to learn from its mistakes but in parallel Tesla are reducing cost dramatically. The paint shop has been a known manufacturing limitation for a while (something to do with the ventilation) and that’s why we get limited colours and big batches of same colour cars go through. I suspect white is also quicker to paint or cure which is why it’s free but I couldn’t tell you why. But either way, paint seems to be a ‘JFDI’ activity and the balance between learning and cost cutting is a hard one to judge. Tesla are certainly taking liberties everywhere with customer service, warranty, FSD promises because they can, so why wouldn’t product quality be on than list too? The bits of wood holding a heat pump in place on a MY says to me getting cars out the door cheaply is the only goal. But equally the addition of a heat pump is moving them forwards.

it’s the old adage about 2 steps forward, 1 step back, only some days it feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back. What matters to you might not matter to someone else, either good or bad.

Reactions: gangzoom
I'm really trying to understand if there's anything fundamentally different in the design. E.g. the 3 has later hardware and fewer physical buttons.

A brand new X has the same AP/MCU hardware as the 3 but with the additional drivers display and larger screen. The latest air suspension is also suppose to improve ride (still not an option on the 3), the buttons/stalks as mentioned are from Mercedes, and stalks to control wiper speed is quite useful for when AP doesn't read the rain better.

The X is a BETTER family car than the 3 hence it costs more, if its worth the price difference is down your personal choice. I wouldn't swap our X for a 3, no way, not even a S or Y.

There really aren't any other cars around that can do what the X can, from the massive windscreen, to the powered doors all round, so much passenger space.

...better built?...

Model 3, Y, S don't spoil me as much as Model X can.

Model 3 without a hatchback is a major drawback for me. Thus, at least, I got to get a Y or above to solve that problem.

Model 3 and Y got a newer design but lacks features:

Model S and X have 2 screens while Model 3 and Y have only 1 screen. It's kind of annoying because I am used to with more than less.

In an non-X model, I have to physically get out of my seat to close a door if that door or trunk is not tightly shut. Mode X spoils me because I can do that on the display screen.

The automatic opening and closing driver door feature for Model X also spoils me (The door automatically swings out without me touching any part of the car).

I love the convenience of the Falcon Wing Doors...

I love the roominess of the X.