Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X or S?

What would you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in purchasing a Tesla X due to the falcon doors. My spouse wants the S but says the decision is mine. I do not feel the need to pay for the performance, but if I purchased an X I am looking for a 6 seater and hoping to purchase before the unlimited (free) charging ends (again). I plan on going in today or tomorrow to test drive both again. Any input from owners is appreciated!

I have both, and while I prefer the feel of the S, both are nice.

The X is bigger, and thus a bit harder to park, but the difference in parking is minor. Check the dimensions of where you plan to park. The X definitely has more room, and more carrying capacity. My biggest complaint with the X is the falcon wing doors. They are great when they work, but if they fail, repair is very expensive.

We have put over 100k miles on two Model S in the past, and we've had an X for 2.5 years now.

I don't think it's a case of one is better than the other; I think each has some notable advantages and disadvantages. It all depends on what's important to you.

To make the decision easier, my normal buying advice is to try the S first, if for no other reason than it's cheaper. If you are happy with it, great, you're getting a car that's cheaper, better-looking, quicker, more efficient, has more range, can have a roof rack, is probably more reliable, etc.

Some reasons you might be willing to give those things up and go for an X include:
  • Towing
  • Easier ingress/egress (this is why we switched; my father-in-law was having trouble getting in to our S)
  • Seating for more than 6 or 7 (and seating for the first 5 is a little more comfortable)
  • A little more interior space (it's not an enormous difference though)
  • The cool windshield that sweeps back to over your head
  • The cool door tech, like auto-open front and falcon wing rear
Here is a thread where I discuss the differences between the cars in some detail: Which Tesla should you buy? A decade-long comparo: Roadster, S, X, 3

I have both, and while I prefer the feel of the S, both are nice.

The X is bigger, and thus a bit harder to park, but the difference in parking is minor. Check the dimensions of where you plan to park. The X definitely has more room, and more carrying capacity. My biggest complaint with the X is the falcon wing doors. They are great when they work, but if they fail, repair is very expensive.

Has yours failed a lot? Does warranty cover that?

;)Had the S and now have had X last few years ...love both cars ..I agree with other poster above if space is not issue than I would opt for 3, Y now given they have a lot of newer technology etc

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
;)Had the S and now have had X last few years ...love both cars ..I agree with other poster above if space is not issue than I would opt for 3, Y now given they have a lot of newer technology etc

I have 3 kids + a spouse. So, honestly a 5 seater is fine. We have a Land Cruiser and a 4runner. I am looking at trading in my 4runner for a Tesla though so we can enjoy the technology and decrease our gas consumption.

Any input on the JD Power report putting Tesla dead last?

Reactions: P85_DA
In addition to what I mentioned above, the 3 is a better value, bang for the buck, and also has the newer better battery technology.

Build quality? LOL

Yeah, it was just one person saying that since it cost less it wasn't as nice of a car. I am leaning towards the X just because of the doors. I was fully prepared to buy one before the end of the month but then my spouse read the article about it not ranking well.

I have 3 kids + a spouse. So, honestly a 5 seater is fine. We have a Land Cruiser and a 4runner. I am looking at trading in my 4runner for a Tesla though so we can enjoy the technology and decrease our gas consumption.

Any input on the JD Power report putting Tesla dead last?

I’m on 73k miles in less than two years I drive this car a lot ..my main expenses were several tire sets (I’m on 22s) got about 35k miles on first set ..my AC compressor went out outside of my warranty at 70k miles ..other than that I didnt have any warranty claims during the warranty period ...car has been reliable for me ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
I had an S and now an X, we decided to get the X because we wanted to be able to tow a camper and putting small children in car seats is so much easier with the Falcon Wing Doors. I think both are great cars with tons of storage. I found that I enjoyed driving the Model S significantly more (So that’s my overall favorite car), the Model X is just so big and heavy that it lacks anything approaching a sporty feel. Having said that the enormous windshield on the Model X may make it the best Autopilot car the visibility is just amazing and allows you to really take in your surroundings while you travel.

As for reliability, I have had a bunch of small things break many of which I would have never fixed if it wasn’t covered under warranty, and only minor wear and tear issues as they got into higher milage, but between the savings on gas and the lack of any kind of required regular maintenance I don’t think I would have spent anymore money on the Tesla’s than I would any other premium vehicle in a similar price range. The only thing that surprised me was how fast these cars go through tires, be prepared to get tires far more often than in any other car, and especially with the X the tires you want with these cars are not cheap.

3 kids then X over S for sure. 6 seater over 7 unless you need full flat fold down space.
JDP report is junk data.
X can have issues with gaskets, panels, paint rubbing FWD but not usually. Mechanical issues like door opening mechanisms have been updated. It is not likely yours will have these problems. No drive train problems. Paint could still be an issue.

I think the model S is the sharpest-looking car ever made. But I really don’t like driving it; hate when I get one as a loaner. It feels bulky to drive and visibility out of both the front and the back is not good.

I have a model X and a model 3. I agree with other posts that the tech in the model 3 is just more advanced. And there are so much fewer things to go wrong on the 3. And those wonderful OTA updates we get.... they seem to roll to the 3’s first. If you buy the first class seat, you get served after coach. Not really that big of a deal, but pretty annoying.

if I were new car shopping, I’d be looking at the model Y. It is now the car with the newest tech. If I still had 3 kids at home, though, I can’t imagine doing trips in anything but the model X. Do your 3 kids actually like each other well enough to stay lined up next to each other without WW3 breaking out in the back seat?

• Funny
Reactions: jet44
Both are awesome. In addition to the normal use case comparisons such as utility, towing, seating configurations, door access, and price, you might also consider garage parking size and constraints, ease of getting in and out if the car, and general driving feel and comfort. Test driving both and comparing each aspect of the two might help with the decision. Good luck and hope you enjoy whichever one you choose!

I've owned the S/3/X and I'd have to say that I'd go back to the S if it wasn't for the low ride height.

With the S being the flagship model, it is just more aesthetically pleasing and elegant overall. All the technology and speed you can handle.

The 3 is hands down the most efficient (especially on the highway). I hated the handles, small trunk and the center screen.

The X is simply the 600lb beast in the room and has really fancy rear doors (which will garner unwanted attention at times). When I look from afar, it looks like a giant turtle, but it certainly doesn't lack speed. The auto-present doors are literally a game changer for me. I have all kinds of squeaks and noises inside the cabin though.

I simply like the elevated ride height of the X and will transition to the CT once it comes out.