Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X or S?

What would you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it was just one person saying that since it cost less it wasn't as nice of a car. I am leaning towards the X just because of the doors. I was fully prepared to buy one before the end of the month but then my spouse read the article about it not ranking well.
If you dig deeper on the ranking it was only surveyed by 35 states and totally skewed (in my opinion completely subjective). Not a fair comparison by any means as I think big oil played a huge part in leaving their mark. I love my X as I had a loaner S which felt too low to the ground. When comparing to the model 3 it’s like comparing toyota to lexus; there are more luxuries the end user pays for such as air suspension, quieter cabin, and spacious interiors. Just to make things easier go with your gut!

Yeah, it was just one person saying that since it cost less it wasn't as nice of a car. I am leaning towards the X just because of the doors. I was fully prepared to buy one before the end of the month but then my spouse read the article about it not ranking well.

I bought it for the door and performance. If you are buying it for the falcon door, don't buy it. Please put your 3 kids and wife in the car to test drive it. The ride is stiffer, because the car is very heavy. I am in the northeast, the road is a bit bumpy. The family road trip was not a good experience.

Thought that I can have the best of both, a performance car with a bonus of being a family car. I was wrong. We use our Lexus RX350 for the road trip. I even bought the 19" wheels for my X to make the ride a bit more comfortable, but it is not even close to the comfort and quietness of the Lexus.

I love it because of the performance option, and it is higher than the S.

Just my opinion.

I fell in love with Tesla by driving my SIL's S. But my 72 year old back and knees did not like getting in and out of it. I got the X. If the Y had been available I might have gotten it. I see talk about the better tech in the 3/Y but the controls in the X are miles better in that more of the things you need most often are controllable by the stalks.

We had an S for 18 months but, my wife in particular, was uneasy driving it in town. After an afternoon trial with an X, we traded the S for an X. Visibility, ride height, eases of ingress, more room for painting canvases, and the falcon wing doors. We have grand children and getting them into and out of baby and booster seats is far easier than any sedan. The X is easier to drive in the city and fantastic to take on scenic trips. Not like a pill box sedan view. Currently have about 28k miles, lifetime average 310 Whr/mile. The electron use is low because we are able to walk to most local spots. Only issue has been the opening of the driver's door. FWDs have been fine except for a seal replacement. All under warranty. The X is big, bigger than the S but the S is also a big car not to forget that it is a very attractive car.

Thanks! I went with my husband and children yesterday to look at both. We decided on the X with 6 seats. And then I saw they had a Y on the lot but the lady wasn't interested in showing it to us. I noticed a few people are mentioning the newer technology of the 3 and Y. Wouldn't that be true of the newer year model of the X?

Yes. New technology recently came to the Model S/X with the Raven and + updates.

The 100kWh battery was just upgraded to a newer release. Range has gone over 400 miles in the S. The X also got an efficiency update. Supercharging has gotten much faster and the computer is upgraded with the latest V3 chips. Falcon Wing doors were up rated some time ago, and now open or close in less than 5 seconds.

The fantastic new adaptive air suspensions have been installed and they make both cars ride much smoother over bumps while at the same time hunkering down better in high speed sweepers and enthusiastic driving. This results in a quieter cruising car as well.
They now charge much faster and can take more advantage of the newer 250 amp chargers.
They have recently updated their motors and upgraded to ceramic bearings to enhance efficiency.

S is the best looking car Tesla makes, and the X is the most versatile with towing capacity up to 5,000 lbs standard. Both are fantastic Grand Touring rides.

They cost more than the smaller 3/Y. Are a bit less efficient as well, but they have a commanding presence going down the road that the more nimble, smaller cars, just cannot match.

Reactions: bnb85