Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X or Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to decide to get a X or order a Y as follows:

Model X
  • Model X Long Range $84,990
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat Included
  • 20" Silver Wheels Included
  • All Black Premium Interior with Figured Ash Wood Décor Included
  • Five Seat Interior Included
  • Autopilot Included
  • Full Self-Driving Capability$7,000
  • Free Unlimited Supercharging Included
  • Purchase Price$91,990
Model Y
  • Model Y Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive $48,000
  • Pearl White Paint Included
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels Included
  • All Black Premium Interior Included
  • Autopilot Included
  • Full Self-Driving Capability $7,000
  • Purchase Price $55,000
Here are some initial thoughts:
1) I do not mind to pay extra $36,990 for X if it is a "better value".
2) Insurance for X can be twice as much as insurance for Y. Do not really like that.
3) Falcon-wing door, love it or hate it? Any potential problems?
4) Free Unlimited Supercharging. Big saving for X over Y or not really?
5) Maintenance/repair cost difference. Do not want get into a headache later on.
6) Why do you choose Y instead of X?

Any comments and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have a similar question: I was one of the first to deposit on a Model 3 but let it lapse after a test drive. The 3 drove well, but with no hatchback and limited cargo room it was not practical for my needs. I'm still driving my trusty old ICE Lexus SUV. Now the dilemma: to purchase a good low mileage Model X 90 now or wait for the Model Y. Online resources pin the price of either, comparably equipped, at about $60k. As I'm a newbie to the Tesla world advice from the more experienced would be appreciated! I've posted the same question in the "X forum" ... it will be interesting comparing the responses. :)

I’ve had the same debate, but on towing capacity. If the Y can tow at least 4000 lbs, I’ll be getting one. If not, I’m either getting a used X or another SUV that can.

I really don’t like the Falcon doors and I’d rather have a new car so my fingers have been crossed for quite a while.

Reactions: Watts_Up
@wuxyjj, I choose MX

I prefer the MX to the Rear-Wheel Drive MY. Not a close comparison for me. Tesla LR and AWD is my minimum requirement. I like the Falcon Wing doors, but not worth the extra cost.
Now the MY LRD (Dual Motor) vs. MX LR is a fair comparison. I still choose the MX because I like the extra space and Falcon doors, but the MY high efficiency and faster SuperCharging of the newer 2170 cells is a nice plus.

1) The MX is worth the extra $36,990 because it is heavier, safer, longer range(328 vs 300 miles) and Dual motor. Dual motor and heavier also means safer. Crash a heavy one-star truck with no safety, no airbags and no seat-belts into a light 5-Star econobox and the heavy truck will win. Weight class wins.
2) I didn't know that insurance for X is twice as much. I don't like that either. Tesla should fix that.
3) Falcon-wing doors -- love them. No problems, but not needed.
4) The Free Unlimited Supercharging Included is worth $2k or maybe $3k if you use it a lot. No biggie.

5) The MX is heavy and an older design, so I guess 25% more in Maintenance/repair/tires cost difference. Tesla will sell every MY they can make, and Tesla will make huge quantities of the MY in the USA, China and Germany. That means parts and service will be easier and cheaper for the MY.

6) I would only choose the MY over the MX if the MY was Dual Motor and I didn't what the extra space. The MY will be better in city driving, small garage and tight parking.

Last edited:
If you have not driven the MX go test drive it. I found for myself it felt too big although that depends on if you have a few kids and want to tow something. The MY seems to be much larger than the 3 from the pics... you could always place a deposit and once its out coerce an early owner for a ride and if you don't like it get the MX. Don't let the free SC persuade you either way its not a big deal especially when most are so crowded, I just charge my MS at home.

I am trying to decide to get a X or order a Y as follows:

Model X
  • Model X Long Range $84,990
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat Included
  • 20" Silver Wheels Included
  • All Black Premium Interior with Figured Ash Wood Décor Included
  • Autopilot Included
  • Full Self-Driving Capability$7,000
  • Free Unlimited Supercharging Included
  • Purchase Price$91,990
Model Y
  • Model Y Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive $48,000
  • Pearl White Paint Included
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels Included
  • All Black Premium Interior Included
  • Autopilot Included
  • Full Self-Driving Capability $7,000
  • Purchase Price $55,000
Here are some initial thoughts:
1) I do not mind to pay extra $36,990 for X if it is a "better value".
2) Insurance for X can be twice as much as insurance for Y. Do not really like that.
3) Falcon-wing door, love it or hate it? Any potential problems?
4) Free Unlimited Supercharging. Big saving for X over Y or not really?
5) Maintenance/repair cost difference. Do not want get into a headache later on.
6) Why do you choose Y instead of X?

Any comments and advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Yeah, I’ve got a comment. You might pay $37k more based on what people using screen names told you on the internet? ;)

At this point suggest you put a refundable Y Rez down to get a place in line, wait a couple of months and drive both. Which fits you should be apparent.

PS, lifetime supercharging is of no significant value to most drivers who have home charging. You can calculate how many supercharged miles you might drive. I’ve had an S for 7+ years and free supercharging has saved me a couple hundred $.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Have a 2019 raven X and considering trading it in once Y production ramps up and I have positive equity in X. The only rationale would be to save on financing payments. Also considering getting a cybertruck and having two large cars may not be the best thing for me. Otherwise love X.

My whole family loves the falcon wing doors. They are actually convenient especially if you have kids. They are functionally like minivan sliding doors. Only might be a problem in a tight garage. I park it outside.

Had X for 7 months and did 3 road trips with a total of about 3000 miles. Spent a total of about $100 on SCs. (Also used destination chargers overnight) I don’t think free SC is a deal breaker unless you have a special circumstance.

Not sure X is a great value. It is relative to other EV SUVs (etron, I pace, etc). Less sure relative to the Y. Kind of depends on your needs/wants and the premium you’re willing to pay. There is speculation that there are imminent changes coming for X/S so you have to either wait or be content that if changes come (new battery, charge port, etc) you would be ok with that. The hardware for 3 has been pretty static in terms of changes. Guessing that model y will not change much after production starts outside the introduction of new trims.

So I honestly have no Tesla yet- but I do have a place in line for the DM-MY. I had the exact same questions though- Used MX or go with MY.
Why not MY:
  • So I'm not sure I'm going to like that center screen thing- everyone says you get used to it, but that's been a big question in my head- nothing in front of me.
  • New MX has more range
Why not MX:
  • Agnostic about the falcon doors
  • No new charging system, so the MY will charge much faster than the MX when travelling
  • Yeah, $35k+
In the end I went with the MY because I think the faster charging is going to be important when we do family trips of ~300 miles. Maybe if they updated that in MX I would reconsider, but also I can think of a lot more things to do with the $35k... And quite frankly, as a person who has been watching the used Tesla market for 2 years now- they don't really lose their value too much, so even if I decide later to upgrade, not a huge deal.

I reserved an X almost year before purchasing a model S and still want an SUV. My priorities are size, ground clearance, $$$, technology, and comfort.

Size:
Y wins. The X is huge and is significantly wider than my S. Hate narrow parking spaces and construction area drives. The CT with its indestructible body will be perfect huge EV.

Ground Clearance:
X wins with air suspension. I’m hoping the Y will be better than my coil suspension S.

$$:
Y wins all around — price, insurance, 3rd party upgrades. The history of the 3 is a strong indicator.

Technology:
Y wins near-term based on the 3. This should change with Plaid S/X but for how long? Given its popularity, focus will remain on this platform.

Comfort:
Mixed. Ingress/egress and seating on the Y will fall between the 3 and X. Egress from the 3 is superior to my coil suspension S. The 3 wins ingress. The X is the most comfortable for seating.

Other:
Range - X
Maturation - X
Supercharging - X
Modesty (or not owning an expensive car) - Y

• Informative
Reactions: Aarons12
I placed an order for MY yesterday with $2500 refundable deposit. Today the order page changed to $100 nonrefundable deposit and the price went up $990. Also the range increased to $315 miles. What happens to those order place before today, including mine?