Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X owner claims unintended acceleration caused accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

Tesla Model X crashes into building at high speed, owner claims it accelerated on its own

I look forward to hearing from Tesla regarding what the vehicle logs show at the time of this accident. There are several possible explanations. One possible explanation is pedal confusion on the part of the driver. There are other possibilities of course, including the cars' software failed to operate correctly. Fortunately, the vehicle logs will shed light on this incident.

From the article: "In his post just hours after the accident, he made some odd statements, including that Tesla should immediately stop Model X deliveries and he prompted anyone with a similar experience to contact him directly."

I do not necessarily find those statements "odd". If the driver believes the car accelerated on its own, contrary to his actions, then of course he would say those things.

Reactions: FlyF4 and Eclectic
i wanted to make a joke but he doesn't have ludicrous:(

' including that Tesla should immediately stop Model X deliveries and he prompted anyone with a similar experience to contact him directly.'
What a douchebag. He seems so over confident that he didn't cause the accident that deliveries should stop. Sorry but that is just plain stupidity. On the other side, at least he was lucky and didn't fly through the store.

'Tesla Model X causes extreme accident'. I don't want to see something like that on the news.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Sounds like the driver confused go pedal and brake pedal. This is common in many accidents.
I guess he should get points for trying to blame it on the AP but that's fairly lame.
I think the logs should sort it out. Fortunately, Tesla has the data on what really happened.

Tesla Model X crashes into building at high speed, owner claims it accelerated on its own
I look forward to hearing from Tesla regarding what the vehicle logs show at the time of this accident. There are several possible explanations. One possible explanation is pedal confusion on the part of the driver. There are other possibilities of course, including the cars' software failed to operate correctly. Fortunately, the vehicle logs will shed light on this incident.

From the article: "In his post just hours after the accident, he made some odd statements, including that Tesla should immediately stop Model X deliveries and he prompted anyone with a similar experience to contact him directly." I do not necessarily find those statements "odd". If the driver believes the car accelerated on its own, contrary to his actions, then of course he would say those things.

This sounds like the bogus Audi unintended acceleration incidents back in the 80's :eek:

upload_2016-6-6_8-46-44.png

• Informative
Reactions: X Yes?
I too believe it is driver error.
However, there is something I experienced twice on my S, and I do not understand why it has not worked here: my S reduces power to a ridiculous amount when I start fast in a situation where the sensors believe the risk of collision is too high. No braking, only extremely limited power and a message on the dashboard. Maybe it only works when accelerating from a standstill?

• Informative
Reactions: Ciaopec and bhzmark
I do not necessarily find those statements "odd". If the driver believes the car accelerated on its own, contrary to his actions, then of course he would say those things.
It looks like his wife was driving it.

As a lady driver, I hate to blame a lady driver, but that's what it sounds like. As someone new to driving a Tesla (which may not be true in her case, but very possible,) I can see how this happened. It takes awhile to get used to the regenerative breaking. If you're not, I can see how it's possible to make the connection that the accelerator is the brake pedal. And if you slam down on the accelerator in a P90D, it's gonna launch.

So she might have really believed it was the brake, or embarrassed and lied to her husband. Or told him the truth and he's looking to blame someone else....but it's sus as hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyF4
When the turn-indicator stalk was moved to the upper position, and the TACC to the lower position in the new models, it became very easy to inadvertently click the TACC up, thinking you are signaling for a left turn. I've done it several times, at low speeds, and have felt the car accelerate. I posted in an earlier thread that changing the stalk positions on the X for those of us previously driving the S, and a MB S550 prior to that, have ingrained habits. Hated that they chose to swap them. Be curious to know the brand of car the lady drove before the new X?

I too believe it is driver error.
However, there is something I experienced twice on my S, and I do not understand why it has not worked here: my S reduces power to a ridiculous amount when I start fast in a situation where the sensors believe the risk of collision is too high. No braking, only extremely limited power and a message on the dashboard. Maybe it only works when accelerating from a standstill?

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
It looks like his wife was driving it.

As a lady driver, I hate to blame a lady driver, but that's what it sounds like. As someone new to driving a Tesla (which may not be true in her case, but very possible,) I can see how this happened. It takes awhile to get used to the regenerative breaking. If you're not, I can see how it's possible to make the connection that the accelerator is the brake pedal. And if you slam down on the accelerator in a P90D, it's gonna launch.

So she might have really believed it was the brake, or embarrassed and lied to her husband. Or told him the truth and he's looking to blame someone else....but it's sus as hell.

Is this a joke? You can't be serious. If you are serious, I'm assuming your conclusion that 'she was embarrassed and lied to her husband' or that 'he would look to blame someone else' reflects your personal situation. (And in that case, sympathies.) It surely doesn't reflect my situation or that of women I know.

Studies have support that while men drive about 30% more miles than women (on average), on a 'per mile' basis, the accident rate is the same.

Seems unlikely that of all times the car would take over the controls, that it would be at a time such as parking when the driver is making several minor adjustments with the drivers stalk and pedals.
Still I feel for the owners of this vehicle (and for Tesla since they will now have to prove that this was not their fault).

Hmm...sounds super similar to a post here about a month ago...Model X vs. Tree

At the time, the driver of our car also claimed that the car suddenly accelerated on it's own despite her mashing on the brake pedal. Tesla got back to us a few weeks later after looking at the logs and confirmed what we suspected - she hit the wrong pedal.

Unfortunately, these kinds of "unintended acceleration" incidents are all too common, and are typically the result of human error. While I understand emotions are running high for this family, I think it's really irresponsible to be pointing fingers and calling for a shutdown on model X deliveries a mere hours after their accident.

P.S. our X still isn't back yet, and we miss it dearly...