Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X pectations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please,Tesla if you read this expectations, just ignore it.

The Model X will be great and at this point of the timetable, I don't want anything to be changed, because I want the model X now and not be modified forever!

Please just deliver...

I know I don't waited as long as others had here, but it's also over a year, knowing Europe will take till '16, that made me suffer long enough. And I think there are a bunch of people in that reservation line, that don't want to wait longer just for some other feature.

Sorry, I feel for the wishes and expectation everyone has, but the time window for new hardware hopefully closed a while ago.

Last edited:
While my car was at the shop fixing the front bumper (accident), I was given a Buick Lacrosse with all the tech goodies on it (lane departure, ACC, collision avoidance, etc, etc).

I must say I really liked the HUD and the air-cooled seats, especially with the recent heat wave here in Southern California. I'd love it if my Tesla had both of those.

I will add to my expectations that it will NOT feature DRIVE PX, primarily because the system is far too new to throw into a production vehicle. I know Tesla likes to take the hardware first, software later approach, but with DRIVE PX just being made available to manufacturers this month, it's far too late in Model X development to add it to the initial production version. They have to have locked in the electronics configuration long ago.

From Car Safety IPO Mobileye Ties Future To Tesla, Others:

A U.S. carmaker will soon launch a semiautonomous, nearly hands-free-driving car for highway use, using Mobileye's camera technology, Aviram says.

The driver need only push a button and leave much of the highway driving to the car itself, he says. For speeds of up to around 40 miles per hour on the highway, it'll stay within a lane, keep the right distance from the vehicle in front and brake or adjust speed as it reads signs and traffic signals.

Aviram wouldn't disclose the name of the automaker behind the vehicle, but Shanker of Morgan Stanley said, "We believe it is going to beTesla Motors (TSLA)."

He expects Tesla's semiautonomous car to come out toward the end of the year, by way of the Model X.

How is it unfair to compare to features that Manufacturer A should offer to those offered by Manufacturer B(and in my many cases C, D, E & F)? That is what car buyers do everyday.

That comparison does not ignore the unique features of the Tesla, nor does it ignore the unique weaknesses of the Tesla (yes there are also unique weaknesses of the Tesla compared to other ICE luxury autos).

Just because the Tesla is a real cool electric car that does 0-60 like nothing else, does not give it a pass on matching and exceeding other features that luxury car buyers might want / expect / be offered from competitors.

I believe Tesla is an amazing company and believe much of this will be in the car. I also believe that after a much delayed 2 year wait and a $125,000 price tag, I am not unjust in expecting a luxury car to be competitive with other luxury cars - feature to feature. The unique benefits are the reason I reserved it in the first place and I decided I could overcome the unique weaknesses as well.
I totally get MaxK's point. Ignore the drivetrain -- normal driving highend luxury cars are smooth and quiet, and reasonable powerful for normal use acceleration. So ignoring drivetrain .... COMPARE features of luxury high 5 or very low 6 digit vehicles.

I'm always curious when I see these lists of expectations compiled against what is available on other cars, if people would compile lists for THOSE cars saying 'able to accelerate like a bat outta hell', 'always full every morning when I go to the garage', 'manufacturer puts free fueling stations across the continent for my use', 'no more oil changes', etc.

Yes, I'd love all this stuff too. But I want what it will have even more. It's not lacking if something here is missing. Maybe the other cars are lacking because they don't have what this one has.

Perspective.

If we were to make a list of all the features of every car in a certain price range ... this manufacturer offers this tech, this other one offers these paint colors, this one offers this service package .. there is NO way we're going to be happy with whatever a particular manufacturer offers.

Make lists as long as you want about what you want in a car. My point, again, was it is unfair to say that Manufacturer A should offer this because Manufacturer B offers it - while ignoring the unique features that Manufacturer A is offering. It was the rationale that I was commenting upon. Sorry you couldn't see that.

I gotta agree with MaxK. If Tesla wants to play in the big boy arena, it needs to offer features all the other $100k cars are offering. Most of those $100k cars are also able to accelerate very quickly. Many offer hybrid drivetrains for better mileage. Some newer ones even offer plug-in charging and all-EV driving for shorter trips. And all of them have most or all of the expected features listed above by the OP. Heck, cars half the price offer most of those features! So how can one justify buying a $100-125k car that's missing features found in a Buick? I don't care how fast a Model X accelerates or whether it can drive 300 miles between charges; I want a car that's comfortable, safe, has cooled front seats, has blind-spot warning, and has around-view cameras. If that means buying a Cadillac plug-in CT6 or ELR and saving $50k instead of a Tesla Model S/X, then so be it. I can live with filling up the gas tank four times per year like I current do, and still get mostly all-EV driving...but with no range anxiety. Or I guess I could buy the forthcoming Mercedes-Benz S550 plug-in, but then you're talking about a similar price with very limited EV-only driving, so in that case I'd choose Model X even though it might be missing some newer features.

If each and every one of these expectations is not met, will you be canceling your signature reservation?
If the $100k+ Model X didn't come with Adaptive Cruise Control (which it does, thankfully - AutoPilot), I for sure would cancel it. No cooled/ventilated front seats? Cancelled, since I can get that plus ACC on a $42k car with 0-60 in 6 seconds. Significant road noise encroaching into the cabin? Cancelled. No around-view monitor? Well... I'd have to think about that, but I'd probably keep the reservation.

I totally get MaxK's point. Ignore the drivetrain -- normal driving highend luxury cars are smooth and quiet, and reasonable powerful for normal use acceleration. So ignoring drivetrain .... COMPARE features of luxury high 5 or very low 6 digit vehicles.

I'd argue that ignoring the drivetrain is equivalent to ignoring "luxury feature X". For some of us, the drivetrain is the most important feature. I understand that's not the case for everyone, but it's valuable to understand this point of view.

I don't see how you can ignore the drivetrain. You'd never present someone with a 5 series BMW and so 'oh, and it has a state of the art 140hp inline 4 cylinder engine'. Sure, compare the luxury features but no one car can have everything.

I'd argue that ignoring the drivetrain is equivalent to ignoring "luxury feature X". For some of us, the drivetrain is the most important feature. I understand that's not the case for everyone, but it's valuable to understand this point of view.
The drivetrain is the reason I reserved the X and the reason that I almost did not. With it's benefits also come some negatives. In the end, I believed the balance tipped more towards the benefits.

However, that equation is not the same for all customers and certainly not for all markets. China is probably an example of a market where the Model S is lacking compared to other luxury autos and the drivetrain is viewed as a negative rather than a positive. Thus the poor sales performance. I expect Tesla has learned from that experience and is one reason why the 2nd row seating is such a priority in the X development.

In the end you are buying an EV from a company with far fewer production vehicles than the competition. Comparing features with other luxury vehicles/makes is silly without consideration for costs that the other vehicles/manufacturers don't have.

First and foremost you are paying for an EV drive-train, and to a lesser extent exclusivity (whether this is important to you or not). Expecting to pay the same amount as similarly equipped luxury ICE vehicles doesn't seem practical.

I just cann't understand why people are always comparing a Tesla with other $100+K cars. As everyone knows the drivetrain of a Tesla is much more expensive than the drivetrain of an ICE. This leaves less money for other luxury items found in similar priced ICE cars, without compromising a healthy profit. You are, however, buying a new and superior technology and in the mean time investing in the future. Profits mad on the X and the S are used for the development of the Model 3.

In the end you are buying an EV from a company with far fewer production vehicles than the competition. Comparing features with other luxury vehicles/makes is silly without consideration for costs that the other vehicles/manufacturers don't have.

First and foremost you are paying for an EV drive-train, and to a lesser extent exclusivity (whether this is important to you or not). Expecting to pay the same amount as similarly equipped luxury ICE vehicles doesn't seem practical.

I predict to pay a 30% premium over a similar ICE luxury auto. Many of the features listed as expectations are offered on cars at 1/2 the price of the Sig X (projected). I am ok with a 30 to 100% premium, however I would like it be feature comparable at that price premium.

China is probably an example of a market where the Model S is lacking compared to other luxury autos and the drivetrain is viewed as a negative rather than a positive. Thus the poor sales performance. I expect Tesla has learned from that experience and is one reason why the 2nd row seating is such a priority in the X development.

you are probably right but probably for the wrong reasoning. in china it would be more indirectly the drivetrain and the blue eyed beginners way of entering a complicated market. the low acceptance in china is mostly due to local red tape and miss conceptions by building managements. TESLA believed that getting government with them on infrastructure should have given them a short cut to charging infrastructure. the problem is that the local authorities and often building managements will not allow high power outlets in the parking garages so..... if you can't charge in the convenience of your home or office and is forced to go to a supercharger outside the city (could be a good hour of driving in traffic) then the allure of going green with a car is quickly fading. and no plush back seat can change that.

however back to this thread. it seems the problems between different points of view on this thread are more down to semantics in the heading of the thread. since it is called expectations it is not wishes but what you expect the car to have when you can fulfill your order, or you will not. on the other hand if it is a wish list then your order will stand but you might be left wishing for more of the luxury goodies offered by the car(s) that you forgo by this purchase..... in the end one has to be satisfied with the choice at hand, otherwise there is no point for purchase, wether it's 10'000 100'000 or 1'000'000........

I just can't understand why people are always comparing a Tesla with other $100+K cars. As everyone knows the drivetrain of a Tesla is much more expensive than the drivetrain of an ICE. This leaves less money for other luxury items found in similar priced ICE cars, without compromising a healthy profit. You are, however, buying a new and superior technology and in the mean time investing in the future. Profits mad on the X and the S are used for the development of the Model 3.

I disagree. The Tesla drive train is actually cheaper than ICE vehicles. The Electric motor is much more simple than than an ICE plus all the extra support infrastructure to keep it running (oil lines, exhaust lines, cooling lines, etc.). And there are already threads out there that indicate that the batteries are much cheaper than most people suspect. The main reasons why Tesla is so expensive is the R&D, low volume productions and because they have (or will eventually have) very high margins.

The actual reason why the Model-S was lacking high-end luxury features is because Tesla is a new company and its going to take them time to implement each and every one of these luxury features. Over time, they'll eventually catch up and will likely surpass everyone else. It's very similar to the very first iPhone that didn't even have cut&paste or the ability to send MMS messages. It just took time for Apple to get around to adding these features and getting it right in the process. Tesla wouldn't be around today if they waited until they had every single luxury item in the very first car they sold.

I disagree. The Tesla drive train is actually cheaper than ICE vehicles. The Electric motor is much more simple than than an ICE plus all the extra support infrastructure to keep it running (oil lines, exhaust lines, cooling lines, etc.). And there are already threads out there that indicate that the batteries are much cheaper than most people suspect.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Having something be simpler doesn't necessarily make it cheaper, and vice versa. Fairly certain a 2-cycle gas engine is more complex and cheaper than a Model S motor, for instance. It's not like the Model S only has a battery and 1 or 2 motors. I would find it difficult to believe that the drivetrain of an M5/6 is more expensive than the Model S (including battery). I could be wrong, however.