Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X Plaid Dead in Garage and Supermarket Parking Lot with Plenty of Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, my MY loaner is in my app as if it were mine. I was able to add a phone key and a key fob.
Next for the loaner program is to download profiles and settings when the loaner is added to your account.

Yeah, the loaner legacy x was in my friend’s app too.

A few more funny thing from tesla service (not very funny when happens to you) the loaner agreement in the app is a EU verison, all prices are in euro. Distances are in km. It says you can’t drive 125miles away from service center, where the paper version my friend signed was 200 miles, which I think it makes sense for population density. He has to travel frequently between two places that’s 220 miles away by the road but direct distance is like 150 miles.

And when he contacted the Tesla service when the car was dead in the garage, he waited a long time. Later his son asked if he had contacted Tesla, cause his son got their message. His son was not associated with the X, but he was a co-driver of his son’s Y. Not sure what happened there.

I haven’t updated for a while. The X was “fixed” and returned to my friend on Spet 25th, here is what’s in the invoice:

Reviewed customers concern for low voltage battery dead,
Was able to duplicate alerts at time of service, confirmed a CAN communication problem with ECUs.
begun diag performing checks to vehicles harness in area of ECU fails, found damaged wiring to
CAN breakout under display.
Made repairs to harness, confirmed alerts are no longer present and low voltage battery is being
supported.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Wire - Electrical Harness (Does Not Include Access Labor) (Repair)
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

However, one day later, car dead in his garage again. Now X in the service center again. They said it’s likely due to wires bitten by rodent, we will see.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I haven’t updated for a while. The X was “fixed” and returned to my friend on Spet 25th, here is what’s in the invoice:

Reviewed customers concern for low voltage battery dead,
Was able to duplicate alerts at time of service, confirmed a CAN communication problem with ECUs.
begun diag performing checks to vehicles harness in area of ECU fails, found damaged wiring to
CAN breakout under display.
Made repairs to harness, confirmed alerts are no longer present and low voltage battery is being
supported.
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Wire - Electrical Harness (Does Not Include Access Labor) (Repair)
Pay Type: Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

However, one day later, car dead in his garage again. Now X in the service center again. They said it’s likely due to wires bitten by rodent, we will see.
Rodents eating wiring is common in all cars. Check YouTube for "rats in cars". Your friend should call an exterminator and see if they can seal up any entries and trap anything. This is the time of year that rodents and other critters are looking for warming nesting spots and they love cars. Your friend does not want them moving into their garage, attic, basement, etc. They leave a mess and can cause a lot of damage because of their nesting behavior, urine, etc.

Reactions: Tz00
Rodents eating wiring is common in all cars. Check YouTube for "rats in cars". Your friend should call an exterminator and see if they can seal up any entries and trap anything. This is the time of year that rodents and other critters are looking for warming nesting spots and they love cars. Your friend does not want them moving into their garage, attic, basement, etc. They leave a mess and can cause a lot of damage because of their nesting behavior, urine, etc.

Yeah I know. Already seen a few reports on here. It is a reasonable cause but they didn’t seem to find out the damaging wire and fix it in the first service. Hope they can learn from it and make the self diagnosis more reliable.

Yeah I know. Already seen a few reports on here. It is a reasonable cause but they didn’t seem to find out the damaging wire and fix it in the first service. Hope they can learn from it and make the self diagnosis more reliable.

Maybe they did fix it the first time. How do you know that there wasn't more rodent damage the day he brought the vehicle home?

Though they normally charge for rodent damage, so by it being covered under the warranty makes me think that what they fixed wasn't rodent damage.

Maybe they did fix it the first time. How do you know that there wasn't more rodent damage the day he brought the vehicle home?

Though they normally charge for rodent damage, so by it being covered under the warranty makes me think that what they fixed wasn't rodent damage.

Likely not… the house ( also in a wooded area )where the problem first occurred at is 200 miles away from the service center and the house it stayed after the repair.

If they claim it was damaged by rodents make sure you ask for the original harness to inspect the damage

It seems reasonable to me. His car had a failure and Tesla paid for a tow truck to go pick it up. He refused to let them take the car to be repaired. So now when it suffers from the same problem again Tesla shouldn't have to pay for a second tow truck. (Which maybe he would do the same thing, oh they got it going, don't take it I'll just drive it some more.)

And look, exactly what Tesla thought would happen, happened:

Technically, I think that Tesla could refuse to honor the warranty for the repair, because he refused the repair the first time:

View attachment 853322

I've never heard of Tesla actually doing that, but they likely could.
This isn't saying what you are implying that it is saying. It's not saying that failing to take the car in for recommended service makes it so they will not cover the same repairs later. It's saying if FURTHER damage is caused AS A RESULT of FAILING to take the car in, then the FURTHER damage isn't covered.