Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X Plaid Unplugged Performance Rear Sway Bar Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had this bar installed today at AutoRnd/Zevcentric in Fremont, and all I can say is wow; it is insane that one bar can dramatically alter the dynamics of the car. It is so much more planted and stable during those freeway maneuvers, which was the primary reason I bought the bar. The car is just solid at all speeds. Really solid. What is shocking is that the comfort levels seem to have gone up as there are way less unwanted motions. I run my X plaid in the advanced setting with comfort and handing dialed to firm or in sport (depending on how smooth the road is). I liked how it felt, but I was getting way too much unwanted feedback from the suspension over rough pavement; now the car just seems to glide over those imperfections, and I can feel it being so much more solid and satisfying. When cruising on the freeway or changing lanes, the car is just rock solid and so much more sure footed.

I can now sway the car back and forth at 70 mph, and it just does what you ask it to do, without upsetting the chassis balance. I can take some freeway exits at 5-10+ mph now, and when you reach about 7/10 of the limits, the rear tires start to lose traction/squeal a bit before the stability control kicks in. The x plaid did not understeer too badly, but now the balance is pretty neutral and with a hint of oversteer, which is awesome. The car no longer pushes on the front end. What a dramatic difference on an 5400lb AWD car.

The car also now puts down power in the rear with so much more certainty. You can feel the rear just as a solid unit when you accelerate hard. It is so satisfying and the feedback is amazing, telling you exactly what the rear is doing without any drama. The car also is much more eager to turn in.

I am probably the first person who installed this bar on a X plaid (at least the first with a public review), but I am so glad I did. I know many have installed this on their S plaid and have had nothing but great things to say about the product.

Many, many thanks to Unplugged Performance for making this bar. I am not aware of any other company that does aftermarket sway bar for the X plaid. I have not felt this much of a difference ever that a single mod had made to a car. Thanks to Andrew as well from UP for helping me with answering all my questions.

When I bought the X plaid after watching couple of popular reviews on youtube, the reviewers were clearly impressed with the handling in the canyons (we all know its fast in a striaght line). They were actually very surprised. After I drove it myself on my favorite roads, I knew the car was amazing, with being able to enter corners at some good speed while javing the confidence that the car will stay in it's course through a turn. I also felt that all it needed was to stiffen the rear and maybe some bigger tires. With the bar now, and my bigger wheel/tire setup on the way (285/35/22 & 315/30/22 summer tires), I feel the car will be a monster. I am guessing it might get close to (or even exceed given the massive power/torque advantage) the Cayenne Turbo GT’s ring time with the right brakes.

I set mine at full stiff. Let me know if anybody has any questions.

The furthest hole towards the rear of the car is the stiffest setting (if anybody is a bit confused).

IMG_8856.jpg
IMG_8855.jpg
IMG_8854.jpg
IMG_8853.jpg

Had this bar installed today at AutoRnd/Zevcentric in Fremont, and all I can say is wow; it is insane that one bar can dramatically alter the dynamics of the car. It is so much more planted and stable during those freeway maneuvers, which was the primary reason I bought the bar. The car is just solid at all speeds. Really solid. What is shocking is that the comfort levels seem to have gone up as there are way less unwanted motions. I run my X plaid in the advanced setting with comfort and handing dialed to firm or in sport (depending on how smooth the road is). I liked how it felt, but I was getting way too much unwanted feedback from the suspension over rough pavement; now the car just seems to glide over those imperfections, and I can feel it being so much more solid and satisfying. When cruising on the freeway or changing lanes, the car is just rock solid and so much more sure footed.

I can now sway the car back and forth at 70 mph, and it just does what you ask it to do, without upsetting the chassis balance. I can take some freeway exits at 5-10+ mph now, and when you reach about 7/10 of the limits, the rear tires start to lose traction/squeal a bit before the stability control kicks in. The x plaid did not understeer too badly, but now the balance is pretty neutral and with a hint of oversteer, which is awesome. The car no longer pushes on the front end. What a dramatic difference on an 5400lb AWD car.

The car also now puts down power in the rear with so much more certainty. You can feel the rear just as a solid unit when you accelerate hard. It is so satisfying and the feedback is amazing, telling you exactly what the rear is doing without any drama. The car also is much more eager to turn in.

I am probably the first person who installed this bar on a X plaid (at least the first with a public review), but I am so glad I did. I know many have installed this on their S plaid and have had nothing but great things to say about the product.

Many, many thanks to Unplugged Performance for making this bar. I am not aware of any other company that does aftermarket sway bar for the X plaid. I have not felt this much of a difference ever that a single mod had made to a car. Thanks to Andrew as well from UP for helping me with answering all my questions.

When I bought the X plaid after watching couple of popular reviews on youtube, the reviewers were clearly impressed with the handling in the canyons (we all know its fast in a striaght line). They were actually very surprised. After I drove it myself on my favorite roads, I knew the car was amazing, with being able to enter corners at some good speed while javing the confidence that the car will stay in it's course through a turn. I also felt that all it needed was to stiffen the rear and maybe some bigger tires. With the bar now, and my bigger wheel/tire setup on the way (285/35/22 & 315/30/22 summer tires), I feel the car will be a monster. I am guessing it might get close to (or even exceed given the massive power/torque advantage) the Cayenne Turbo GT’s ring time with the right brakes.

I set mine at full stiff. Let me know if anybody has any questions.
Can you elaborate on the change in comfort with this sway bar?

Reactions: MobileMikeV