Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X reservation is in. Volvo out. What can I do for salesperson and forum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove a Model S P85D this weekend at my local Tesla dealer. The following day, I explained to my wife how amazing it was. For the past 4 years, we have always known we would get a Honda Pilot for our next family car. But in the past months, I have been excited for the new Volvo XC90. She went from banning me from getting the new Volvo XC90 due to price ($57K), to accepting the Model X without her ever having sat in either. So without any hesitation, this morning, on my commute into work, I placed my reservation for the Model X on my phone... how cool. With that said...

1. Do the dealers get any kickback/commission? If so (or even if not), I want to ensure the sales rep gets what is due to her and that the store is aware of her performance.

2. What should I do / provide on the forum for logging/counting purposes and where?

Thanks

1. Do the dealers get any kickback/commission? If so (or even if not), I want to ensure the sales rep gets what is due to her and that the store is aware of her performance.

Thanks

They do not. Tesla does track test drives/orders though. I got a call the morning after my order from the guy I had taken a test drive with several months earlier congratulating me on my purchase.

Congratulations, and welcome. Are you in North NJ? Did you test drive in Paramus?

Congrats! There is a model X reservation thread on this forum. Just go up to the search button and it can be found. There is also an outside site (run by a forum member) called modelxtracker.com that would love your info. You will need to set up a user name and password for that site.

Welcome to the Tesla "family". Small nit, Tesla doesn't have dealers. They have show rooms, sales centers, and service centers. They are all company owned. I realize you're probably saying to yourself, "man this Andrew guy has a pole ..." I call it out because it's a common mistake. You may not be aware that Tesla is still fighting for the right to sell in several states, and the battle is with franchised dealerships and their associations. So, it's an important distinction.

As far as giving credit to the tesla staff, they don't get commission but they do track sales. A nice note to the store manager and the regional manager will go a long way.

Andrew

Congrats on your X order! Did your wife accompany you on your P85D test drive?
Note: Tesla does not have "dealers". In the car business, that word means an independent company that has a franchise contract with specific manufacturers to sell cars.
All Tesla showrooms are wholly owned and operated by Tesla.
I believe Tesla salespeople get a very small commission on a sale, a few hundred dollars.

That is the funny part... she was at home caring for our kids. You'd think she wouldn't take my word for it :)
OK to the showroom lingo!
Has she got a sister? :) Actually, it's only recently (after she viewed the 9/29 event live stream as she couldn't join me at it) that my wife has warmed up to the idea of spending $100K on a car. It's more than twice our previous record. I wouldn't even consider spending $100K on any *other* car (except a Model S).

She is most definitely not a car person, and still worries that it will be too big for city driving, but she was very impressed with what she saw at the event. As for my kids, well they wanted me to take the Model S test drive car home after our family ride two years ago.

I test drove a Model S P85D this weekend at my local Tesla dealer. The following day, I explained to my wife how amazing it was. For the past 4 years, we have always known we would get a Honda Pilot for our next family car. But in the past months, I have been excited for the new Volvo XC90. She went from banning me from getting the new Volvo XC90 due to price ($57K), to accepting the Model X without her ever having sat in either. So without any hesitation, this morning, on my commute into work, I placed my reservation for the Model X on my phone... how cool. With that said...

2. What should I do / provide on the forum for logging/counting purposes and where?

Thanks

Definitely write a nice thought out note to the store manager or regional manager telling them that she is the reason you decided to go with Tesla. That's way more encouraging than any commission could ever be to a salesperson (especially since they don't make commission at Tesla).

Commission

Ditto to commission. I was in line at Model X event with guy who used to sell Teslas. At first there was no commission, but at the end of his run they introduced commissions but only for full time employees. Since he was a part-timer his commission went to a full time employee. At that point he decided he needed to either be full time Tesla sales or do something else, so he did something else. He still loves Tesla though.

Congratulations and welcome! Interestingly enough, we've been in a similar boat. My wife had an older Honda Pilot and has been interested in the new one. We went so far as to take an XC90 home for an afternoon test drive to check it out. Frankly the XC90 was pretty underwhelming even though the styling is probably more to our liking. They didn't have any of the higher trim Pilot's available to look at but I was really unimpressed with it mechanically. Then again, I've gotten to the point where pretty much all ICEs are unimpressive. Most of them do the basic driving thing so poorly that I can't see any of their strengths.

The difference is that we've has a Model S for almost three years now and my wife has driven it several times. She's a little worried that she won't like the width of Model X. In any event, we've ordered it and, if she really hates it, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm relatively certain she'll love it

Congrats, but be forewarned, once you go to a Tesla you'll never go back. Have a 3 yr. old Model S and are anxiously awaiting delivery of our Model X. We've never been "car people" and our most expensive auto purchase previously was $50k. This is what Tesla does to you!

Funny thing - we just did the opposite. We canceled our X reservation yesterday and am going with the XC90 T8. We just realize that there are parts of the country that the superchargers support travel, and parts that they do not. We love our S, and drive it daily, but there are areas in the Midwest that we travel to regularly which do not have good supercharger coverage, and the projected maps for the next 2 years does not fill those areas. It is time to replace our 2003 Pilot so we had to pull the trigger. But...in the future if coverage gets better we will strongly consider ordering another one!

I am in the same decision cycle as well, though delayed. Replace my wife's aging Saab 9-5 wagon with either Model X or Volvo XC90-T8 plug-in hybrid. We aren't pulling the trigger for another 9-12 months though (will wait until after the current Model X reservations are delivered AND more superchargers come online to decide), so no rush.

It was too good to be true. My wife has gotten cold feet or something. She feels it way too expensive. In fact, she is back to talking about getting a 3 year old Honda Pilot since we "don't need luxury and don't need to spend money on something new". I'll still keep keep my $5,000 deposit for as long as possible. Perhaps she will be able to test drive it her self one day soon.

Blech!

That is part of why I am letting this simmer for another year. In that time, my wife will pay off the last of her student loans, and we (I) should be able to amass enough of a down payment to make the monthly payments digestible for her.

What may swing the decision is the difference in tax credit between the vehicles (I imagine the smaller battery in the Volvo will be a factor there) and the potential of buying it into my wife's business, allowing for business depreciation of the vehicle as well as ensuring the deductability of the interest on the loan. The depreciation curve of the Model X may be better due to the 6000 lb. Gross Vehicle Weight (IRS Section 179 "hummer loophole") All that being said, I would like to get it into tax year 2016.