Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"X" shaped scratches on my hood. Any ideas what caused this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed before leaving for a trip that there are 3 "x" shaped scratches on my hood. They are very "perfect" in that it doesn't seem they were from vandalism. It looks like something placed on the hood. Two of them are in almost exactly the same location (opposite sides) about a foot below my windshield and about a foot in from the side of the car. The third is about 6" from one of the others.

I've had two things happen recently that may have caused this and I wonder if anyone has any feedback on this.

1) I had the autopilot camera replaced. I was told that the replacement included having to calibrate the camera. Could the calibration included placing a tool of some kind on my hood to aim the camera?

2) I had clearplex and tint installed (same day as the camera, actually!) Could the installer have placed a tool on the hood while doing this?

I'll try and post pictures tomorrow if I can get a good angle. I tried with my iphone and the flash wiped out the image. The scratches can be seen from a distance so it's pretty bad - IMO.

I noticed before leaving for a trip that there are 3 "x" shaped scratches on my hood. They are very "perfect" in that it doesn't seem they were from vandalism. It looks like something placed on the hood. Two of them are in almost exactly the same location (opposite sides) about a foot below my windshield and about a foot in from the side of the car. The third is about 6" from one of the others.

I've had two things happen recently that may have caused this and I wonder if anyone has any feedback on this.

1) I had the autopilot camera replaced. I was told that the replacement included having to calibrate the camera. Could the calibration included placing a tool of some kind on my hood to aim the camera?

2) I had clearplex and tint installed (same day as the camera, actually!) Could the installer have placed a tool on the hood while doing this?

I'll try and post pictures tomorrow if I can get a good angle. I tried with my iphone and the flash wiped out the image. The scratches can be seen from a distance so it's pretty bad - IMO.

Hopefully the scratches are only in the clear-coat and can be removed.
I would talk to a good car detailer to see what can be done before taking it to a touch up service or a smash repairer.
Sorry to hear about it and good luck.

Come on guys. Loosen up. It is not as if someone got injured and I made fun of it. It's scratch on the hood and sure it needs to be fixed and can be fixed.

To me every X mark looks like a falcon landing zone. To think of how amazingly with such precision they can land those things... I can't take that out of my mind, like a tape that won't stop replaying....

Do you really think it's appropriate to make a joke about a fellow forum member's car getting scratched up? There are things to joke about and things not to joke about, and in my opinion this falls into the latter category.
Andy, you are not wrong. Someone recently made a joke in another thread about the summon feature, imagining a prank that could be played on a woman waiting in the car by starting the car in motion and somehow locking the doors so she couldn't get out. That crossed the line for me in a big way, but nobody else seemed to find it in poor taste and I also was told to just lighten up. I suspect we all have different buttons that others push without realizing they are doing so.

Really sorry to hear about this damage, and I sure hope the scratches can be removed easily. If the autopilot camera was replaced at a service center, maybe they would be able to answer questions about the calibration procedure, and whether anything might have been placed on the hood corresponding to the location of those marks.

When news is bad like this, though, sometimes it helps to find some humor in the situation. "I took my S to the shop and they made it an X"?

Maybe the Clearplex installer set his spray bottles on the hood?
If you cant feel the marks with your fingernail then don't panic, a good detailer can remove them and even if they are deep they can make them a lot less noticeable.
Having worked with window tinters , there some that are super careful and others that will set anything on a cars paint.... spray bottles, squeegees , razor blades, etc.. any of which can damage paint.