Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X still stuck in production after 3+ weeks, deeply exasperated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am aghast and exhausted. Using the forum to vent out.

It's been over 3 weeks and my X is still in production. Was supposed to get it delivered tomorrow but now DS says it is still in production so probably sometime next week. Have no idea on the hold up.

Looking for a shoulder to cry, someone please suggest what can I do while I wait?

Reactions: jbcarioca
Sometimes they just pop out of production and you get the call to pick up. Not much you can do... some cars come off the line fast and others much slower. For what it's worth my P85D was significantly delayed so I was concerned there was an issue with it but I had one of the best built cars around - it was perfect. It will seem like a short wait about a week after you actually have your vehicle.

It's been over 3 weeks and my X is still in production. Was supposed to get it delivered tomorrow but now DS says it is still in production so probably sometime next week. Have no idea on the hold up.

Looking for a shoulder to cry, someone please suggest what can I do while I wait?

Keep going to the sales center and test driving theirs, they'll get tired of it and start calling the plant on your behalf!

Reactions: 8XATL

I just switched to production complete after a 50 day production wait. Still awaiting delivery, but it has to happen eventually. It's better to keep low expectations.

Argh. I feel your pain. Mine was stuck in production for a few weeks like yours. My DS was able to tell me which stage of "in production" my car was in during the agonizing process. Apparently, they caught some quality-control-related issues, and last month, my DS told me that two weeks was a typical delay for correcting quality-related issues, on top of the few days it takes to build the car. My car went into production November 4 and my DS emailed me that it was shipped on November 26. It took a couple days to arrive in Seattle, and I took delivery November 30. Fingers crossed you're at the final stages of production.

Reactions: krazineurons
Surprised that you had an actual delivery/pick up day arranged before you received an out of production or in transit message, or instructions for final payment.
So I had placed the order back in July and postponed delivery waiting for AP 2.0. Once it was announced I asked my DS to schedule it for production keeping 28th Dec as the delivery date. Guess he missed estimated the timing.

Were you at least able to do the paperwork so that your purchase is registered as a 2016 sale? So you can claim the fed tax credit for 2016?
Disclaimer: I am not an income tax expert. I am sharing with you what has been discussed many times, many places in this forum, the IRS code says the car must be "put into service in the tax year in which the deduction is taken." This has been explained as driven. Please contact your tax professional for a definitive answer.

Reactions: bonaire
Disclaimer: I am not an income tax expert. I am sharing with you what has been discussed many times, many places in this forum, the IRS code says the car must be "put into service in the tax year in which the deduction is taken." This has been explained as driven. Please contact your tax professional for a definitive answer.

Specifically it says "title to that vehicle passes under state law". But I agree you should double-check with a tax adviser. Then you can blame them :p

Reactions: bonaire
To make you feel better you are getting an AP2 car that might have better AP than those 1,000 cars when it gets delivered. I have to give props to your patience as we ordered same time but I didn't hold delivery like you did. Good luck!

Were you at least able to do the paperwork so that your purchase is registered as a 2016 sale? So you can claim the fed tax credit for 2016?

That is tax fraud based on the way IRS handles "put into service" of a vehicle. No big whoop - just take $700/month or $350/paycheck or send in Fed tax quarterly estimates with 2000 less each on Federal withholdings through the year so it can qualify as a 2017 tax year vehicle. it is possible that tax fraud fines and fees are higher than $7500. The CPA advising to "do it" should have suggested doing the alternatives first. Unless someone is in dire-straights needing 7500 "now" - and in that case, shouldn't be buying an expensive car - they have alternatives to the tax situation given. Do it right or the IRS will fix it for you.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: bro1999
That is tax fraud based on the way IRS handles "put into service" of a vehicle. No big whoop - just take 700 less on Federal withholdings through the year so it can qualify as a 2017 tax year vehicle. it is possible that tax fraud fines and fees are higher than $7500.

How is it tax fraud if all the purchase/finance/insurance/registration documents are dated 2016, as well as the date it's titled? What is the IRS gonna do, hook you up to a polygraph and ask if you physically took delivery before 31 Dec 2016?

How is it tax fraud if all the purchase/finance/insurance/registration documents are dated 2016, as well as the date it's titled? What is the IRS gonna do, hook you up to a polygraph and ask if you physically took delivery before 31 Dec 2016?

The car isn't in service. The hand-over of the manufacturer title "could" happen early but it's a gray zone. And if it was done systematically, then Tesla is culpable for inciting multiple cases of tax fraud. Though, I am more in favor of a direct rebate at time of sale rather than an ITC which can be gamed in this way at year end - does it actually matter for a working person who can simply lower their Fed Withholdings through the year instead of waiting one whole year? A sale rebate can be gamed also in the same way, so it's hard to say what is "right". I think what really ends up being right is no ITC at all and 7500 lower car prices as the cost of scale fixes the whole kick-start of the industry. ITC will run out and if the EV industry is healthy, the government should just put money into making input parts cheaper than doling it out to buyers.