Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X Subzero Details vs S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, as Winter will be approaching for most of us in months ahead, I wanted to clarify some questions I had about the MX and its subzero package as well as standard items to deal with cold weather.

Standard Items
1. Obviously front seats are heated for everyone, great
2. Rear defroster is there for all of us, great (hopefully works better than S since no wiper back there still)
3. Heated side mirrors are standard. Question 1: Doe these come on only when you use rear defroster, or automatically at a certain outside temp? I think it is only with defroster right?
4. Question 2: Is the wiper fluid reservoir heated at all, or nozzles by default? Related to below wiper question.

Subzero Package
1. Add heated steering wheel, great. Loved this in Model S. Gets pretty hot.
2. Adds heated seats throughout. Question 3: Anyone feel the heated seats in X work better than the S? They were slow to get hot/warm thus didn't serve the purpose of having the seat warm quick on cold days which is most needed. (wished the app allowed control of SZ package).
3. Heated wiper blades. Main question 4: Are the actual blades heated now, or is it still just that grid on windshield at bottom that is a defroster also? That didn't work too well on the S it seemed. Also would this include wiper nozzles?

Thanks! Very little info out there on actual SZ package for X.

The heated seats in the Model X are freaking instant. I literally had someone else comment on it last night; they watched me reach forward and touch it, and respond “woah! I felt that!”

I'll try out the wiper-blades next time I drive it. I guess, turn them on in Service Mode or something, where they don't touch the tray, and see if they heat up? idk?

The heated seats in the Model X are freaking instant. I literally had someone else comment on it last night; they watched me reach forward and touch it, and respond “woah! I felt that!”

I'll try out the wiper-blades next time I drive it. I guess, turn them on in Service Mode or something, where they don't touch the tray, and see if they heat up? idk?

Thanks, glad to hear about the seats. Our BMW X5 is instant and the Model S warmed up usually by the time I got to work, a little too late.

For the wipers, thanks! You should see on the windshield a little grid like the picture here, which stinks. If not, then assume the actual blades have some heating & nozzles which is great hopefully for Winter.

images.jpeg

I couldn't see any heating grid lines on the windshield, but it's in a masked area so I'm not sure I would be able to see them. I've attached a picture of the passenger side area where the windshield wiper sits. You can see the driver wiper on the right of the picture. I also attached a picture I took with my low res thermal camera of the drivers seat heating coils. They heat up pretty quickly and are usually too warm for me to put on full. The steering wheel heats up quickly too.
20160909_074659.jpg
Screenshot_20160909-074953.png

• Informative
Reactions: Ormond
For the wipers, thanks! You should see on the windshield a little grid like the picture here, which stinks. If not, then assume the actual blades have some heating & nozzles which is great hopefully for Winter.
This has been discussed extensively in the past. Did you try searching TMC? Here is what I found Do the heated wiper blades do anything?

This has been discussed extensively in the past. Did you try searching TMC? Here is what I found Do the heated wiper blades do anything?

Thanks will check again. I've seen this old model s post. My question was if it's the same heated area on windshield discussed there or actual blades on MX. I headed the latter possibly. That and the seats are different so seem improved.

Just to partially update/close this thread mostly for anyone looking for a similar answer...

I can verify that MX doesn't seem to have the heated area on windshield, the loaner with subzero I have doesn't. Thus I'm assuming the blades themselves are actually heated. Hopefully this works a lot better when it gets snowy/icy. :)

Just to partially update/close this thread mostly for anyone looking for a similar answer...

I can verify that MX doesn't seem to have the heated area on windshield, the loaner with subzero I have doesn't. Thus I'm assuming the blades themselves are actually heated. Hopefully this works a lot better when it gets snowy/icy. :)
Sorry. It's definitely the windshield. I just turned mine on and put my hand between the blade and the glass. The glass got warm, the blades did not.

Here's a thermal of the resting windshield wiper area. It's all in the black part of the windshield. Thus is taken from the drivers side, looking across the car. The wipers are on the left and the windshield on the right.

Thanks again, it does look like a much bigger area than the bars (that were visible) on the S, so maybe it will be stronger or more effective. That is where ice/slush tends to accumulate.

My MX confirms on Tuesday.. can't decide on Subzero. Small kids in carseats, so backseat warmers won't be a big deal for a while. Detached garage, which we may or may not park it in all the time. I suppose in inclement weather we will be sure to leave it in there. So probably going to pass, although the heated steering wheel makes it tempting.

Subzero costs such a small portion of the car I don't know why anyone would not order it. Years ago I was looking for a used 911, and I ruled out a large number of Florida cars because they didn't have a $500 option. It you think you're going to sell your car some day, order it. It's especially helpful in an EV. The seats use far less energy than the heat pump.

Reactions: FarmerDave