TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

X To Cost Less Than The S?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Local host, Oct 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Local host

Local host Member

#1 Local host, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    Yahoo Autos Car of the Year

"But ultimate survival will depend on a genuine marketplace embrace of both the Model S and the forthcoming Model X, a four-door mini-ute that should be priced a bit downmarket from the S"

So the X will cost less than the S? Has anyone seen any info from Tesla that backs this up?

2. spleen

spleen Active Member

No ... In fact, the X may end up being considerably more expensive than the S. "Comparably priced" leaves a lot of wiggle room. Certainly the dual motor option is likely to add quite a premium.

3. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

I agree with Spleen... Not to mention the falcon doors.

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I'm expecting it to be more. But I won't complain if it isn't. :)

5. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

Also, I wouldn't exactly call it a mini-ute!

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I do believe the author was getting confused between the Model X and the Gen III. Model X is expected to be a bit more expensive than the Model S. It's bigger!

7. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

My recollection is that Tesla said that, generally speaking for similar sized battery packs, the X would cost about $10k more than the S.

8. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

This is my expectation. And the addition of the front axle motor to make all-wheel drive will probably add and extra $10K.

9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I could have sworn that they said the X was going to start at $40k, but maybe I'm making that up....

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I've never seen that number - or anything other than "comparable to the Model S".

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I haven't either, but with the second motor option, I'd expect it to be a fair amount more.

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

13. ahimberg

ahimberg Member

I haven't heard any specific numbers, but I thought at the supercharger event it was noted by some there that the price of the X was going to be a bit more than originally stated

14. BenjaminJWD

BenjaminJWD Member

I would be surprised if the X doesn't follow typical SUV vs. Sedan pricing premium. So about $5,000 - $10,000 more sounds accurate to me.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think it's safe to say that the base Model X will be cheaper than a fully optioned Model S and any retail priced Roadster. Beyond that, we're all just guessing. IMO.

16. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Given there's no 40 kWh model, the base price is already more expensive.

17. StephRob

StephRob Member

I wonder what kind of trade in value they'll give for an S. I think I'm going to get a 60 kw S (which I would guess I'll get around March) and drive it until the X comes out. If my S costs $70K originally, and has 12k miles on it, any speculation regarding how much Tesla would give for trade in value?

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913

Trade-in values for the Roadster - even the low mileage ones - have been so-so from Tesla. So, you may be looking at a significant drop if you trade in within a year or so. You can easily find third-party buyers offering a good price for a year-old 60 kWh Model S, I'd think.

19. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

Extremely slim chance that the X is less than the S.

So the least expensive Model X will start at $59,900 or more.

I am hoping that it will not be too much more, in part because I'm hoping an 8% annual reduction in battery costs will offset the higher cost of falcon doors and bigger vehicle (nicer interior).

I also am hoping that the AWD option will not be an additional $10,000 more. There is no ICE automaker that charges a $10,000 premium for an AWD model over a FWD model (ceteris paribus).

20. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Well a Porsche 911 is $9,500 more for AWD. Granted the Panamera is only a $5,000 premium for AWD.