Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X to Y 'down'grade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a test drive in the Model Y LR yesterday. A lot of the things that you folks said rang true, and I'm glad y'all prompted me to book one.

It didn't feel quite as punchy off the line as the 90D Model X although pretty close (the test drive car didn't have Acceleration Boost), but it did feel pretty powerful flooring it from 30mph+. The handling felt sharper, and the steering a little more stiff (which is what I like; only when I parked up at the end did I find it was set to "normal" rather than "sport"). The tyres were inflated to 47psi. I ran a loudness meter app on my phone, and it was no quieter in the Model Y than in my Model X: ~55dB-A at 40mph, and ~62dB-A at 60mph. Neither the missus nor I noticed any discomfort in the ride owing the absence of air suspension, but we were driving around the Dartford service centre which is mostly 40mph dual carriageways.

The software is a clear generational leap from what my Model X runs. Everything is way more responsive, and things like the Autopilot cameras showing you the rear views when signalling are cool. That said, it felt like there were more clicks required to get to most things (seat-heaters, for example). It's possible that there were shortcuts that I didn't notice.

There are a bunch of things that'll take some time to get used to, like not having the dashboard screen, not having a separate Autopilot stalk, and the indicator stalk not having a physical latch - that was really distracting to the point of me being dangerous on roundabouts whilst I was trying to figure out WTF was going on. The responsiveness of the software was even apparent when the windows drop when opening/closing the doors, it was way more snappy than on my Model X. The wing mirrors are noticeably narrower. Not being able to see the nose of the car from the driving seat was a bit disconcerting.

The backseats were roomier than I was expecting, and as a not-particularly-tall person I could sit in the back seat, and my fingertips just about touched the back of the driver's seat. The roof glass is cool. The boot mahoosive. I didn't notice a lack of space as the driver, but the centre console/armrest thing is definitely on the large side.

The sound system wasn't as good. The bass goes pretty loud, but the middle didn't sound as well-formed. It seemed all bass and treble, with the middle a bit thin.

All in all, I was pretty impressed, and if the Performance is pokier off the line, that'll be great. The missus thinks she'll miss the X, and whilst it's definitely been awesome having a space-age car, it makes no financial sense to keep it. My current thinking is to hold on to it until the Model Y Performance arrives, and until we've done our Norway road trip so we can exploit the free Supercharging.

It will suck having to open doors by hand though.
the ridclouse central 'asiel' in back

Yes! It feels like a plush private jet... At least, that's what the kids first said when I unexpectedly turned up to pick them up from school in it for the first time. The back of the Model Y does feel so normal by comparison.

I guess what future readers can learn from this thread and everyone's contributions is that perhaps the Model Y can do everything that the Model X can do, except be a really flashy, exciting, space-age car that will turn heads. I think I'll miss kids passing by and asking if it can fly after seeing the falcon wing doors open, and people stopping and staring in car parks. The best incident was when we went to some outdoor kids thing, where the car park was next to a load of outdoor trampolines. Literally every child on like six trampolines stopped bouncing and stared when we parked up and opened both the falcon wing doors with music blaring :D

Reactions: Durzel
Tyre pressures should be 42 psi cold, but they get delivered at 50 psi. Sounds like your test car was set somewhere in the middle. Lowering the pressure smoothes out the ride and reduces tyre rumble a little too. Been living with ours for coming up to 2 weeks now and really happy so far.

I could never see the nose of our MX when driving either. That's the one thing I prefer in the M3 i.e. being able to see the front wings like in a sportscar like the 911, lol.

Why are people comparing a Y to an X? One is £100k, the other is mid £50k. You can rattle on about ‘downgrade’ this and ‘snobbery’ that. Buy a Y or an X, nobody cares. What a completely useless thread.
I'd personally call it an upgrade from the X to the Y. I wouldn't buy an X if it was the same price as a Y - it was a gimmick of its day - now long gone!

• Funny
Reactions: UrbanSplash
I’m glad you used Caps. Thanks for that, I wouldn’t of realised if you didn’t accentuate. Principle is the same. These aren’t the same market. This thread smacks of snobbery. Still nobody cares.
Well they are both mid £50k cars (well actually the MY P is more like £70k) in the context of this thread and so you totally missed the whole point of the question. They are very much in the same market (I've literally just made a straight swap) and there are going to be loads of other people contemplating swapping an older X for a Y over the next 12 months. So you're probably going to have to suffer many more threads like this. But why should you care if nobody else does?

Reactions: gangzoom and ArunG
My current thinking is to hold on to it until the Model Y Performance arrives, and until we've done our Norway road trip so we can exploit the free Supercharging.

Does that mean you have to pay the £50k+ taxable loan? I have to confess if I HAD to spend £50k+ on any car right now I wouldn't bother with any Tesla and just get the cheapest thing going to keep going in the context of starting a big building project. I'm still in half a mind of just trading in the X and releasing the capital once our summer road trip is done. The only issue is how expensive all EVs, used or not are, the alternative of us is just to stick with the trusted £500 worth Mazda....

This thread smacks of snobbery.
Sorry if you felt inferior as a result of reading it; may I suggest not reading threads that are likely to arouse negative emotions?

The thread presents a predicament that I have: keep the old Model X, or proceed with waiting for my new Model Y Performance. I was hoping to find other people who had the same quandary and learn from their experiences. Given that we're talking about £110,000 cars, I would've thought that some amount of snobbery is intrinsic to the discussion.

Still nobody cares.
Which is odd, given the number of replies and that some people care so much that they'll stop by the thread just to comment that they regret their own decision to voluntarily read a thread that doesn't apply to them.

Still, you know what they say about arguing on the internet.

Sorry if my words made you feel bad. I'd be interested in learning how I could have sought relevant experience to my situation in ways that people would take less offence to. I'm off to have a day out in the sunshine with the family; I hope you also have a nice day.

So a chance to poke around a friends Y, interms of size and utility I would say the two are almost identical, so interms of practicality the Y is absolutely fine. However interms of complexity the Y and X are like a Duplo versus Technic, I can see why Tesla rather build the Y than X, especially given how close the list price of the Y is to the X back in 2016/17!

They are both make great family cars for me, I love the addtional bits of our X its going no where, but can see why others prefer the simplicity of the Y.

Incidentally on the way into London today on the M1 I've seen more EVs than ever, a couple eNiros, a few eTrons, a couple of X and Ys, and plenty of 3s.

Overall though still a long long way to go for EVs versus combustion cars, so the more EVs that get sold the better :).

52004566406_3616fa3385_k_d.jpg

Reactions: DeejUK
I had a 2019 X that I liked a lot and I had a Model 3 before the X. I recently went with a friend to pickup his Model Y LR. I was pretty impressed with how quiet and comfortable it was compared to my X and former 3.

If you care at all about ride don’t get low profile tires.

I recently traded the X for the S. Best of all worlds. Space of Y, Speed of Model 3 performance, cheaper than an X, way past the teething phase of ramp up and looks to kill. Close to efficiency of 3/Y. Also longest range. It’s win, win, win, ….

Oh and the Yoke is absolutely fine. Get over it. Elon is right again. Damn it. There are work arounds if you hate the Yoke. 95% of owners are fine with it.

Reactions: gangzoom
Just got back from a really nice holiday in France. Went in convoy with an ID4 Pro, which I think has roughly the same range as a Y and crazy charging speeds even at 90%.

Despite the X having less range and slower charging the actual travel times were identical with kids in the car. And in France where possible the 6 seats in the X were occupied far more often.

52107682094_cc39b1727c_c_d.jpg

Certainly not life changing but the cost of DC charging is now noticeable, especially versus 'free'. Cost of fuel for me was barely 2p per mile taking into account some the lack for SC costs for me and very cheap local charging in France.

52133108228_e5bc4d410f_c_d.jpg

More by accident than design, our 2017 X I think is destined to stay with us till the wheels literally fall off....well one of the tires did try to do this on the same morning as when we suppose to board the ferry!! Good thing I had joined the AA just a week earlier.

52103835972_3b6897731d_c_d.jpg

We all like been attracted to new stuff, but sometimes in life the really good things are wroth holding on to, our X is now firmly in that very small list of things I have little interest in ever getting rid off. Which means any ££££ spent on it now is fully justifiable....once our summer road trip is done, may well get the paint work 'corrected' and sealed again :).

Why are people comparing a Y to an X? One is £100k, the other is mid £50k. You can rattle on about ‘downgrade’ this and ‘snobbery’ that. Buy a Y or an X, nobody cares. What a completely useless thread.
This feels like a really bad take on the thread. I did not get the vibe at all that the OP was making any kind of judgement about the markets for each car, quite the opposite in fact.

• Love