Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X versus S Supercharging...who gets the juice?

IanMcL

Jan 13, 2019
Laverstock
I was in Bristol yesterday and needed a charge to get home. Both bays at Cribbs Causeway, apparently spare.

However, on arrival, 5 mins later, a Model X was charging.

I started to charge my 2016 S in the remaining bay.

15kw charge out of 130kw!

I thought it might recalibrate but it did not. I even stopped and restarted the charging, but to no avail.

That seems totally unbalanced and pointless for the 2nd vehicle.

2/3 to 1/3 I could understand but 90% to 10% seems faulty and the word supercharger registered invalid!

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
I was in Bristol yesterday and needed a charge to get home. Both bays at Cribbs Causeway, apparently spare.

However, on arrival, 5 mins later, a Model X was charging.

I started to charge my 2016 S in the remaining bay.

15kw charge out of 130kw!

I thought it might recalibrate but it did not. I even stopped and restarted the charging, but to no avail.

That seems totally unbalanced and pointless for the 2nd vehicle.

2/3 to 1/3 I could understand but 90% to 10% seems faulty and the word supercharger registered invalid!
Assuming your battery was low enough that the car was capable of accepting a faster charge, then the hardware wasn't fully working properly. The second car to plug in should be getting up to ~30 to 36 kW if the first car is charging with a low battery. Once the first car's rate tapers to below 72 kW, the second car's rate will increase.

Reactions: IanMcL and Big Earl

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC