Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X vs Mercedes ML350 / GLE350 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife has had an ML350 for 6 years (Lexus RX prior to that) that she's been quite happy with. I thought it time to replace it a couple of years ago but she wanted to hang on to it until last week when the xmission decided to no longer xfer power from the engine to the wheels. She's a GLE 350 as a loaner and overall really likes it. She had been thinking that she'd get an X as a replacement but is having second thoughts.

How will an X compare? My P85D is much louder inside than any of her cars with a lot more road noise, has a much harsher ride (performance suspension though) and is generally much lessor quality from an interior fit, finish and luxury standpoint. I'm happy with it, she not so much. Will she find an X similar to my S or more similar to a GLE? Will an X compare favorably to the Mercedes or is she likely to find it much less of a car? We'll be driving her brand-new fully loaded loaner GLE down to Tesla to look at an X, what should I be prepared for?

Thanks,

We had an S for 18 months before trading it got an X. We discovered that there was a marked improvement in quality and amenities in the X over S especially in ride quality and visibility. We had next Gen seats in the S which were good but the X seats are better to our feeling. There a number of other standard features that used to be extra in an S such as power lift, air susp. Auto door closing. Arrange an afternoon trial for just you and your wife with an X. It will answer your needs better than any discussion.

Our model X seats are definitely more comfortable than any loaner Model S we have driven, even compared to next gen seats in S. However, road noises in the X is just as bad as S, and our Model X is the loudest in our car family (from quietest to loudest on freeway: 2018 Odyssey, 2017 VW GTI, 2017 BMW i3, and 2016 Model X). Also, ride quality wise, the Model X is definitely on the stiffer side than typical luxury SUV. She'll have to take an extensive ride on a freeway she is used to in order to get a good sense of comfort and road noise.

Model X seats is not as soft as ML/GLE

AMG has adjustable suspension that could change hard/soft and high/low
Model X suspension is harder than GLE’s hard settings

For passenger, GLE is a better choice cuz soft and comfort
For driver, Tesla is definitely good choice cuz awesome performance and Autopilot

the new GLS is good too, consider GLS+Model S, good on both world

Thanks all. I fear the road noise, harsher ride and the overall quality feel will put her off the X. She's been leaning towards an X for some time but I'm guessing the test drive will kill that and result in her getting a GLE (or maybe a GLC though it might be too small). We looked at and sat in a Jag I-Pace at the NYC e-prix which she liked but was concerned about cargo space (she's a gardener) and it's likely too far out yet as is BMW's eSUV.

Might be worthwhile to hold off for an EQC but I think she's thinking that it's time. Now. If the EQC was fairly certain for this year she might hold off but 2019 is probably pushing it.

We both hate the thought of buying an ICE that we know will have poor resale but I don't think she's willing to compromise on comfort.

My wife has had an ML350 for 6 years (Lexus RX prior to that) that she's been quite happy with. I thought it time to replace it a couple of years ago but she wanted to hang on to it until last week when the xmission decided to no longer xfer power from the engine to the wheels. She's a GLE 350 as a loaner and overall really likes it. She had been thinking that she'd get an X as a replacement but is having second thoughts.

How will an X compare? My P85D is much louder inside than any of her cars with a lot more road noise, has a much harsher ride (performance suspension though) and is generally much lessor quality from an interior fit, finish and luxury standpoint. I'm happy with it, she not so much. Will she find an X similar to my S or more similar to a GLE? Will an X compare favorably to the Mercedes or is she likely to find it much less of a car? We'll be driving her brand-new fully loaded loaner GLE down to Tesla to look at an X, what should I be prepared for?

Thanks,

The overall quality and luxury component of an X is much better than a S. I do feel a step down when I switch to the S. With that said, they're both a step down compared to the Merc, and both will ride very similar to each other and very different from the Merc. Plush these cars are not. But give it a try, you never know. My wife went from a Lexus RX -> Acura RDX -> MX and loves it.