Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X vs. S frunk size comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

While there have been scattered posts about the X frunk capacity compared to the S, I haven't seen anyone attempt to calculate the size differences.

The S specs page at Model S Specifications | Tesla Motors states "Front trunk cargo volume 5.3 cu ft". It does not state if that is for the Dual Motor or RWD cars. Searching for Model S reviews online from 2013 shows that same figure was reported, so that tells me that the 5. 3 cu. ft. is for RWD cars. For example, see How Much Space IS There Inside A 2012 Tesla Model S Anyway?
Dual Motor S cars have a significantly smaller frunk.

The X specs page at Model X Specifications | Tesla Motors does not appear to show a frunk volume figure.

In another thread the dimensions were posted: 44L X 15-18W x15H. Assuming an average width of 16", the volume calculates out to about 8.3 cu. ft.

So the X frunk appears to have over 50% more capacity than the RWD S frunk, and likely about double the capacity of the Dual Motor S frunk.

Corrections to my data are welcomed.

Last edited:
I got a good look at a Model X lately. The frunk seemed overall much smaller than my rear wheel drive S. It is wider side to side, but not nearly as deep top to bottom and not as wide front to back. And because of the front motor, there is no bonus space back toward the passenger cabin.