TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

X vs. S frunk size comparison

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by ecarfan, Jan 23, 2016.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#1 ecarfan, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    While there have been scattered posts about the X frunk capacity compared to the S, I haven't seen anyone attempt to calculate the size differences.

The S specs page at Model S Specifications | Tesla Motors states "Front trunk cargo volume 5.3 cu ft". It does not state if that is for the Dual Motor or RWD cars. Searching for Model S reviews online from 2013 shows that same figure was reported, so that tells me that the 5. 3 cu. ft. is for RWD cars. For example, see How Much Space IS There Inside A 2012 Tesla Model S Anyway?
    Dual Motor S cars have a significantly smaller frunk.

The X specs page at Model X Specifications | Tesla Motors does not appear to show a frunk volume figure.

In another thread the dimensions were posted: 44L X 15-18W x15H. Assuming an average width of 16", the volume calculates out to about 8.3 cu. ft.

So the X frunk appears to have over 50% more capacity than the RWD S frunk, and likely about double the capacity of the Dual Motor S frunk.

Corrections to my data are welcomed.

2. Edward D

Edward D Member

I got a good look at a Model X lately. The frunk seemed overall much smaller than my rear wheel drive S. It is wider side to side, but not nearly as deep top to bottom and not as wide front to back. And because of the front motor, there is no bonus space back toward the passenger cabin.

3. ecarfan

Tesla's stated Model S RWD frunk volume, and the posted measured dimensions of the X frunk, disagree with your eyeball assessment of the S RWD frunk.

4. wheresmyx?

wheresmyx? Member

We test drove an X today and had the same conclusion as Edward D regarding the frunk space.

5. pvogel

pvogel Member

The S frunk is considerably shallower, though perhaps slightly longer (nose to tail) than the X frunk. But the significant extra depth adds significant volume over the S

6. ecarfan

I welcome data that differs from what I posted to start this thread, meaning volume calculations based on measurements.
    That is why I started this thread: to see if there was data that differed from what I was aware of and posted.