Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X vs S550 vs 911 vs GL450

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for my X 2 days ago, drove some familiar roads and trips, some comparisons

Background:
25 cars in last 15 years, currently have a 991 TTS, S550E, GL450. And just got the X with all options. The last EV i had is the BMW Active E. I had high expectation to the X, so i compare it to all my cars i have and had. I am kind of comparing the X to the best in class of luxury sedan, SUV and sports car. A bit harsh, but that's my nature.

Performance: 8.5/10
Very quick. But still not as fast as my 911.
Handling is very good. But the tires seem not as capable of the car. A lot more confidents in the 911, but i think i need more time to get used to the X.
Suspension is great, very good balance between comfort and body roll
Steering i sharp, a bit heavy but understandable as a performance crossover.
Brake is a weak point. Cant compare to the ceramic on the Porsche for sure, but not as good as my S550e. Maybe the pads and rotors are not broken in yet.
But the feeling is not graduate, hopefully I can feel better in the future.
Another complain i have is the change the setting. In the Porsche, I can adjust the suspension, transmission, with one buttons. In the X, i need to go to the right page and look for what I want to change. I dont have the time and the focus when I need the performance while i am driving to change the settings.
HUD is needed. Porsche is also missing that.

Comfort: 8.5/10
Rooms are sufficient. 2nd row is okay, but the 3rd row is not as roomy to my GL. Tall people will have problems at the 3rd row. The trunk can hit their heads if they sit in the 3rd row.
Seats are really good, but the S has more features and modifiable more. Such as, massage function, lumber support, seat extension.....
Sitting Position is a bit too high for me, Cayenne feels more attach to the road and sporty.
S class still feels a lot more luxury inside, all the buttons and material are in a different league. For example, the steering wheel in the X is not much better than in a BMW 2 series.
The super white interior looks good and feels good. Only a bit too plastic vs the S class leather.
Wind noise is the weakest point. Way too loud....
Sound. I am very picky, i have burmester in both my 911 and S. The Tesla Fidelity sound feels like a JBL in my old 10 years ago prius compare to the systems I have in other cars. Maybe not as bad, but for the money to pay for the upgrade, it is very disappointing.
Also disappointing the 3rd row is not automatic/electronic. A hassle to go back to the side from the back to pull it back up.
No Sunroof, that i miss in my 911 and S.
Control is using a different methods vs all the cars i have. The short cuts buttons in the S class spoiled me. Make it one touch away and always in the same spot. In the X, it is more than 1 touch away. For example, if the screen is not on the music page, i want to switch from radio to iphone, i am few steps away. In the S class, one button.

Safety Features: 9/10
It has almost everything the S class have.
The blindspot assist in the Mercedes is easier to the driver, give me the sound warnings when I touch the signal lights, the X doesn't. Maybe I can set it up? Correct me if i am wrong. The blind spots in the X is really a complete blind spot that turning head is the only way to confirm if there is a car there or not.
The middle mirror is a joke. Do not understand why Tesla does not want to make it a functional mirror. It's doable.
Auto Pilots vs Mercedes Distronic Plus: The turning is better in the X, but if the roads are too curvy, it will give up. The Mercedes i can expect it can only do 10 degrees or less, but I need to get used to the X capability. Sometimes it will oversteer, (which is scary) which the Mercedes will never. There is a lot to improve, but a good start.

Look: 8/10
Missing the artistic touch. Looks okay, but I will not say it is sexy. Without constraints of how the car shape, I can imagine it can look like much more futuristic. I appreciate how BMW approach the design of the i8 more than the Tesla approach.

Overall: 8.75/10
The X can be better in many ways. Its not bad, super fast, comfortable enough. Cant give a 9, because i can see Tesla is able to make it better without adding a lot of costs, Tesla did not because of short of time and resources. Not a bad first version at all, (a very good one as a super young maker)
IMG_1946.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    654 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: umeshunni
Just for my X 2 days ago, drove some familiar roads and trips, some comparisons

Safety Features: 9/10
It has almost everything the S class have.
The blindspot assist in the Mercedes is easier to the driver, give me the sound warnings when I touch the signal lights, the X doesn't. Maybe I can set it up? Correct me if i am wrong. The blind spots in the X is really a complete blind spot that turning head is the only way to confirm if there is a car there or not.

That's a shame if there's no ability to turn on an audible signal (I see nothing in the manual and I'm still awaiting delivery of my X). I'm very used to that from Mercedes too - definitely extremely useful to hear a warning tone when there's something difficult to see next to you.

I learned a lot from this post. Overall, it's amazing to think it (model x) compares so well to a cute little two seater, given that it's size and weight. Very good insights, thank you. I am looking forward to the arrival of my X in Canada.