Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X vs Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so I thought I'd post a quick thread here that may (or may not) be helpful for those thinking of an X or a Y and the differences between the two. I'm posting this because I just took my Y in to get a few minor items that I noticed during/after delivery fixed up and they gave me an X as a loaner which I was able to drive for a day (including 45-60 min drive back and forth between the service center). I'd been in an X before but never driven it, and the difference between it and my Y was stark enough that I really thought it warranted a thread that may be useful to anyone trying to decide what Tesla SUV to buy (assuming that you've decide you want a Tesla SUV). So I hope this info is useful. Also, I bought a Y so obviously I'm a bit biased in its favor, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible. The X I drove was a P90D from 2016, so also I think had AP1, not AP2/FSD, so take that into account though I don't think it would've made a huge difference. I had the X in ludicrous mode (of course, why wouldn't I it was a loaner) and my Y is a Performance w/ PUP.

So here are some thoughts:
  1. X feels like a spaceship -- everyone knows this but driving it, that windshield is huge. It's pretty amazing and makes it feel special in a good way for sure. It also makes the headroom feel bigger than it actually is in the front seat. In reality the head room I don't think is that different from the Y (as unscientifically tested with my hand over my head) but it FEELS way bigger in teh front
  2. X feels like a much bigger car when driving, Y feels MUCH sportier and smaller -- the handling between the two is stark. This was the biggest difference. The X handles like a big SUV, which it is, but I was shocked by how much less sporty it feels. It's night and day, and I strongly preferred the feeling of driving the Y for this reason. Getting back into the Y after driving the X, i started having so much more fun again, darting around, whereas the X makes you just want to cruise. This is no doubt the biggest difference between the two, and I could see people strongly preferring one car or the other when driving back to back. If you want to just be comfortable and go on long trips I could see an argument for X, but for day-to-day, for me, the Y wins driving enjoyment and it's not close (but my wife has a 3 row SUV that we will use for longer road trips for what it's worth).
  3. Air Suspension on X -- definitely a bit smoother than Y as you'd expect, but not crazily so, I suspect because the X is also so much heavier it really needs it more than the Y does. I don't think I'll miss not having this, which was another concern of mine in skipping S/X. On long
  4. Speed/Acceleration -- they both feel like insanely quick Tesla's though again I felt the Y was just quicker to go, again I suspect weight matters here. No doubt if you mashed the peddle the X went HARD, but I found it harder to sort of modulate it. I'd probably get used to it, they're both obviously extremely quick cars, but I found the Y's speed slightly easier to access if that makes sense.
  5. Regen breaking -- for whatever reason, i find the Y easier to one-pedal drive -- perhaps the extra weight of the X makes it more likely you need the brakes, but there were way more times I was hovering over the break to see how fast i'd slow down, whereas in the Y I almost never touch the brake or worry about it. Again I'm sure anyone would adjust to either and be used to it, but my experience was that not using the brake and relying solely on regen is easier in Y.
  6. X feels more luxurious than Y -- I love the matte wood and the extra detailing in the doors, etc. The model I drove had the white interior with dark wood and was gorgeous (i have an all black interior on my Y). This is obvious to everyone so I won't focus on it too much. I still like the clean/modern interior of the Y, but no doubt you feel the specialness of the X
  7. Extra screens -- okay, this is a big one that I thought I would much prefer in the X and thought I was giving up in the Y. However, my take is actually that the 3/Y setup, once you adjust, is better. Everything you need to see is on the one screen, you don't have to decide where to look. You get used to it super quickly and once in the X I had to think about which screen to look at for NAV (in both places), car data, music, etc. Also I find the horizontal orientation of the 3/Y more user friendly and easier to reach without looking too much at it, whereas adjusting the music/HVAC by reaching way down was harder in the X. There is no doubt the 2 screens look "cooler" and more impressive, but as for actual usability I was shocked by how much more strongly I prefer the UI of the Y. I thought this was one of the biggest things I was giving up in going Y over S/X, but in fact I now think it's a feature. I am sure that v2 of S/X, whenver redesigned, will split the baby, and I wouldn't mind having a small speedo/car only UI in front, but I've adjusted so well to the Y in less than 1000 miles of driving that I really no longer worry about it, and i would strongly recommend against someone feeling like they are "missing out" by
  8. Y feels more "normal" -- the middle console is much more like a normal car (easier access to cupholders, etc.) and I think the front storage seems more practically useful.
  9. Autopilot V1 vs V2 -- I don't want to focus on this too much as I didn't have that much time to judge, but personally I felt they both performed well on highway but my navigate on autopilot w/ lane changes in Y with FSD computer I felt better about and generally a bit more confident in. I'm sure that a newer X would feel the same.
  10. Visability -- Front X wins for the spaceship, but rear I was shocked how bad it is. Y is well known isn't great, but the middle row headrest in X is really annoying (and doesn't go down like Y). If you got 6 seater and put down back row, you might not notice this, and I might choose that config for this reason alone.
  11. Rear seat room -- I didn't spend a lot of time evaluating but honestly leg room wise they seemed very close if you moved the X all the way back (leaving very little legroom for row 3). I thought Row 3 looked pretty useless in X, much less than my wife's Hyundai Palisade even though the lenths of the two are not that different. I have no idea how they will put a third row in Y.
  12. Storage -- clearly, with 3rd row down, X is bigger, in particular I think the extra width here makes it seem bigger. However, Y is substantial and plenty for me day to day.
  13. Stereo system -- i played with the X quite a bit and it sounds very very good, but I think the Y's does as well. I care about this and I think most anyone will find both very satisfying options. I did think bass was a little punchier in X but may have been settings, but again these are both really good, and thats from someone whose last three cars where an Audi A6 w/ Bose and BMW X3 with Harmon Kardon, both of these are better in my opinion.
  14. Falcon wing doors -- speaks for itself, these are amazing engineering but also seem more complicated and even though there appeared to be room I couldn't figure out how to get them to open wider in my garage so they only were like half open, seems like they'd be more trouble than they are worth though in the great wide open they look super cool. Plenty of info on these out there but I was excited to play with them, but I think glad to hand them back when my time was up.

In short, while they both have their plusses and minuses, I was shocked how happy I was to get back into my Y. Driving it for me is just way more fun given how it handles like a vehicle that is two classes smaller despite really not being that much smaller, and I find the user interface less stressful and more intuitive. I will admit I was a bit more nervous driving the loaner and that may have added stress as I obviously didn't want to smash it up. The X is an amazing proof of concept, but I think the simpler Y is also simply more enjoyable for daily life. Also you save 30K+ so there's that. If you want a super road-trip highway cruise machine and don't much care about driving feel or how big the car feels day to day, I could see picking the X, or if you NEED 6-7 seats, I would get it, as I'm really skeptical that this 7-seat Y is going to be practical given the room left in the back and the shape of the tailgate. I think caring about the luxurious feel is more personal and I could see that as well, but personally I'm thrilled I ended up in the Y. Just my two cents, again mainly giving it to help anyone who is struggling to decide without the ability to drive both. Let me know if there is anything I didn't hit that I could address though I've covered all the big differences I noticed.

Yes, thanks for all the details.

My wife has an X, and I have a 3. I will probably replace my 3 with a Y some day, but my wife decided she'd rather keep her X. Some of the things she likes about the X that are not on the Y (in addition to what OP already noted, like more storage, second screen and adjustable suspension) include:

1. Passengers 5-7 have more room
2. Tows 5,000lbs instead of 3,500
3. Smoother, quicker, AND quieter
4. Biohazard filter
5. Easier-to-use Autopilot controls
6. Free supercharging
7. Better seats
8. In addition to rear Falcon wing doors, the front has auto-open doors
9. More range

I agree the steering on the 3 (and presumably the Y) is much more responsive than on the X, so it's likely more fun to drive around town. But the X is likely more comfortable on longer trips. The Y is far cheaper than the X, likely good enough for most, and so will no doubt sell in much higher quantities. But if you won't miss the extra money, the X really does have a lot of nice extra features.

Yes, thanks for all the details.

My wife has an X, and I have a 3. I will probably replace my 3 with a Y some day, but my wife decided she'd rather keep her X. Some of the things she likes about the X that are not on the Y (in addition to what OP already noted, like more storage, second screen and adjustable suspension) include:

1. Passengers 5-7 have more room
2. Tows 5,000lbs instead of 3,500
3. Smoother, quicker, AND quieter
4. Biohazard filter
5. Easier-to-use Autopilot controls
6. Free supercharging
7. Better seats
8. In addition to rear Falcon wing doors, the front has auto-open doors
9. More range

I agree the steering on the 3 (and presumably the Y) is much more responsive than on the X, so it's likely more fun to drive around town. But the X is likely more comfortable on longer trips. The Y is far cheaper than the X, likely good enough for most, and so will no doubt sell in much higher quantities. But if you won't miss the extra money, the X really does have a lot of nice extra features.

One response on this, I did not find the autopilot controls easier to use on the stalk than the wheel. I'm sure I would've gotten used to the stalk just fine over time, but once you've adjusted to using the right hand wheel for speed up/down and following distance, it is incredibly intuitive, and I made more than a couple mistakes using autopilot at first on the X. I think that is more a wash/personal preference. Otherwise I would agree with some of your notes.

Could add faster supercharging to the Y (but hard to argue with "Free"!) if we were making the list comprehensive.

Reactions: davedavedave
Okay, so I thought I'd post a quick thread here that may (or may not) be helpful for those thinking of an X or a Y and the differences between the two. I'm posting this because I just took my Y in to get a few minor items that I noticed during/after delivery fixed up and they gave me an X as a loaner which I was able to drive for a day (including 45-60 min drive back and forth between the service center). I'd been in an X before but never driven it, and the difference between it and my Y was stark enough that I really thought it warranted a thread that may be useful to anyone trying to decide what Tesla SUV to buy (assuming that you've decide you want a Tesla SUV). So I hope this info is useful. Also, I bought a Y so obviously I'm a bit biased in its favor, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible. The X I drove was a P90D from 2016, so also I think had AP1, not AP2/FSD, so take that into account though I don't think it would've made a huge difference. I had the X in ludicrous mode (of course, why wouldn't I it was a loaner) and my Y is a Performance w/ PUP.

1. X feels like a spaceship -- everyone knows this but driving it, that windshield is huge. It's pretty amazing and makes it feel special in a good way for sure. It also makes the headroom feel bigger than it actually is in the front seat. In reality the head room I don't think is that different from the Y (as unscientifically tested with my hand over my head) but it FEELS way bigger in teh front
  2. X feels like a much bigger car when driving, Y feels MUCH sportier and smaller -- the handling between the two is stark. This was the biggest difference. The X handles like a big SUV, which it is, but I was shocked by how much less sporty it feels. It's night and day, and I strongly preferred the feeling of driving the Y for this reason. Getting back into the Y after driving the X, i started having so much more fun again, darting around, whereas the X makes you just want to cruise. This is no doubt the biggest difference between the two, and I could see people strongly preferring one car or the other when driving back to back. If you want to just be comfortable and go on long trips I could see an argument for X, but for day-to-day, for me, the Y wins driving enjoyment and it's not close (but my wife has a 3 row SUV that we will use for longer road trips for what it's worth).
  3. Air Suspension on X -- definitely a bit smoother than Y as you'd expect, but not crazily so, I suspect because the X is also so much heavier it really needs it more than the Y does. I don't think I'll miss not having this, which was another concern of mine in skipping S/X. On long
  4. Speed/Acceleration -- they both feel like insanely quick Tesla's though again I felt the Y was just quicker to go, again I suspect weight matters here. No doubt if you mashed the peddle the X went HARD, but I found it harder to sort of modulate it. I'd probably get used to it, they're both obviously extremely quick cars, but I found the Y's speed slightly easier to access if that makes sense.
  5. Regen breaking -- for whatever reason, i find the Y easier to one-pedal drive -- perhaps the extra weight of the X makes it more likely you need the brakes, but there were way more times I was hovering over the break to see how fast i'd slow down, whereas in the Y I almost never touch the brake or worry about it. Again I'm sure anyone would adjust to either and be used to it, but my experience was that not using the brake and relying solely on regen is easier in Y.
  6. X feels more luxurious than Y -- I love the matte wood and the extra detailing in the doors, etc. The model I drove had the white interior with dark wood and was gorgeous (i have an all black interior on my Y). This is obvious to everyone so I won't focus on it too much. I still like the clean/modern interior of the Y, but no doubt you feel the specialness of the X
  7. Extra screens -- okay, this is a big one that I thought I would much prefer in the X and thought I was giving up in the Y. However, my take is actually that the 3/Y setup, once you adjust, is better. Everything you need to see is on the one screen, you don't have to decide where to look. You get used to it super quickly and once in the X I had to think about which screen to look at for NAV (in both places), car data, music, etc. Also I find the horizontal orientation of the 3/Y more user friendly and easier to reach without looking too much at it, whereas adjusting the music/HVAC by reaching way down was harder in the X. There is no doubt the 2 screens look "cooler" and more impressive, but as for actual usability I was shocked by how much more strongly I prefer the UI of the Y. I thought this was one of the biggest things I was giving up in going Y over S/X, but in fact I now think it's a feature. I am sure that v2 of S/X, whenver redesigned, will split the baby, and I wouldn't mind having a small speedo/car only UI in front, but I've adjusted so well to the Y in less than 1000 miles of driving that I really no longer worry about it, and i would strongly recommend against someone feeling like they are "missing out" by
  8. Y feels more "normal" -- the middle console is much more like a normal car (easier access to cupholders, etc.) and I think the front storage seems more practically useful.
  9. Autopilot V1 vs V2 -- I don't want to focus on this too much as I didn't have that much time to judge, but personally I felt they both performed well on highway but my navigate on autopilot w/ lane changes in Y with FSD computer I felt better about and generally a bit more confident in. I'm sure that a newer X would feel the same.
  10. Visability -- Front X wins for the spaceship, but rear I was shocked how bad it is. Y is well known isn't great, but the middle row headrest in X is really annoying (and doesn't go down like Y). If you got 6 seater and put down back row, you might not notice this, and I might choose that config for this reason alone.
  11. Rear seat room -- I didn't spend a lot of time evaluating but honestly leg room wise they seemed very close if you moved the X all the way back (leaving very little legroom for row 3). I thought Row 3 looked pretty useless in X, much less than my wife's Hyundai Palisade even though the lenths of the two are not that different. I have no idea how they will put a third row in Y.
  12. Storage -- clearly, with 3rd row down, X is bigger, in particular I think the extra width here makes it seem bigger. However, Y is substantial and plenty for me day to day.
  13. Stereo system -- i played with the X quite a bit and it sounds very very good, but I think the Y's does as well. I care about this and I think most anyone will find both very satisfying options. I did think bass was a little punchier in X but may have been settings, but again these are both really good, and thats from someone whose last three cars where an Audi A6 w/ Bose and BMW X3 with Harmon Kardon, both of these are better in my opinion.
  14. Falcon wing doors -- speaks for itself, these are amazing engineering but also seem more complicated and even though there appeared to be room I couldn't figure out how to get them to open wider in my garage so they only were like half open, seems like they'd be more trouble than they are worth though in the great wide open they look super cool. Plenty of info on these out there but I was excited to play with them, but I think glad to hand them back when my time was up.

In short, while they both have their plusses and minuses, I was shocked how happy I was to get back into my Y. Driving it for me is just way more fun given how it handles like a vehicle that is two classes smaller despite really not being that much smaller, and I find the user interface less stressful and more intuitive. I will admit I was a bit more nervous driving the loaner and that may have added stress as I obviously didn't want to smash it up. The X is an amazing proof of concept, but I think the simpler Y is also simply more enjoyable for daily life. Also you save 30K+ so there's that. If you want a super road-trip highway cruise machine and don't much care about driving feel or how big the car feels day to day, I could see picking the X, or if you NEED 6-7 seats, I would get it, as I'm really skeptical that this 7-seat Y is going to be practical given the room left in the back and the shape of the tailgate. I think caring about the luxurious feel is more personal and I could see that as well, but personally I'm thrilled I ended up in the Y. Just my two cents, again mainly giving it to help anyone who is struggling to decide without the ability to drive both. Let me know if there is anything I didn't hit that I could address though I've covered all the big differences I noticed.

Thank you for the detailed and well-written comparison. I have been thinking about X or Y and your evaluation is helpful.

Reactions: davedavedave
I did not find the autopilot controls easier to use on the stalk than the wheel. I'm sure I would've gotten used to the stalk just fine over time, but once you've adjusted to using the right hand wheel for speed up/down and following distance, it is incredibly intuitive, and I made more than a couple mistakes using autopilot at first on the X. I think that is more a wash/personal preference.

I agree it may well be personal preference. And using the wheel control for speed up/down on the 3/Y is indeed pretty cool. But after switching back and forth between the S/X and 3/Y models for 2 years now, I definitely prefer the S/X model...but not so much that I'd advise somebody to switch cars because of it. It's a minor thing.

For those that haven't used Autopilot on both types of cars (the S/X style and the 3/Y style), HERE is a post where I described the differences in detail.

IMO:

The X has much more cargo capacity and towing capacity. Width, depth, height, frunk, and under deck.
The rear seating is better.
Can be had in a real 7 seat config.
The controls such as mirror adjustment are not nested tree structure.
The door handles are better.
Ingress and egress is simpler.
You have a higher POV in the X.
The single stalk TACC/AP is perhaps the best control solution in the industry. Steering wheel thumb wheels are inherently less controllable.
Rear visibility is easily fixed by saying SHOW REAR CAMERA.
351 mile EPA range.

vs.

Model Y costs less and has better thought out USB support.

I'll be giving my X up in a few months probably for the Y.
Things I'll miss..
1. Ludicrous acceleration.
2. self presenting doors (once you have it you know what I'm talking about)
3. front screen (I've had a Prius years ago and unless you have HUD it sucks to look down and to the right for info like speed/radio)
4. being able to go to the third row without pushing middle row seats forward (if you have more than 2 kids its a must)
5. a fairly cheap interior for even a cheaper interior (and exterior) build .
All those points said, I couldn't imagine going back to anything else out there.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Seems fair enough. I drive an X, mostly on road trips, and a 3 AWD locally. The X is definitely a bus on local roads and interesting to park. Fantastic for road trips and when I need to carry six people. The 3 is simply a blast to drive. I'm pretty good at switching between the two AP systems, left bottom stalk in the X and shift stalk on the 3. I prefer using the scroll wheel on the 3 to change the AP max speed, but the twist dial for following distance is nice too. It's even easier to shift between the different screens in the two cars. I don't have a clear favorite, other than looking at tire pressures.

Overall the critique was spot on, other than realizing the X he drove was a 4 year old model.

Latest Raven + has so many improvements.
Over 350 miles range.
Much faster Supercharging plus V3 250v capability.
Remarkable adaptable suspension. Both smoother riding and more nimble handling.
Latest V3 computer.
Choices of 5-6-7 seat configurations.
Much faster acceleration.
Now premium sound and interior comes free with basic Long Range.
Now Ludicris mode comes free with performance model.
Center headrest now much smaller for better rear visibility etc.

Reactions: Highway18

I agree with you on most of your point. Coming from an 2018 Model S, and drove an X for a day as a loaner, I have to say I like the 2 screens a lot more. I like having Navigation info on the dash, or I can easily answer phone call or hang up from the steering wheel. You are right about horizontal is better than the vertical screen of the S and X. With the air suspension, I thought it didn't matter, but it does. definitely a lot smoother driving the S vs the Y.
You mentioned 1 foot pedal, but sounds like you got a non raven X. Only Raven has true 1 foot pedal driving as the Y. Non-Raven model only has a hold function, but it is not true 1 foot pedal driving.

Last edited: