Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X: What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, our cars seem to have identical characteristics. So this is indicative of a greater problem.
I too noticed that I lose about 1 mile on the 90% charge each time I go on a long trip involving superchargers. I took it to the Tesla Service in Houston and they said perhaps I need to get it down to near zero and fully charge it to reset the system. I am not too excited to do this as I am afraid I might brick my battery. I have gone down to 2 miles and then did fully charge it once, but it had no effect on my 90% indicated range.
I have notes on almost every charge. (taken manually) I have not seen this have any effect at all. I do seem to get my highest miles when charged to 90%+. Charging to 80% for a couple of weeks will make a mile go away for a while. The couple of times I've had to slow charge, I have had a couple of miles go in to hiding until my next L2 charge. (I would avoid L1 charging since it could result in keeping the battery heated up with the heater for longer, and LiIon batteries have longer life when kept cool).

Mostly this has lead me to believe that apart from abuse (leaving it at a low SOC for instance), mostly this capacity loss seems to be luck of the draw.

(I would avoid L1 charging since it could result in keeping the battery heated up with the heater for longer, and LiIon batteries have longer life when kept cool).

Mostly this has lead me to believe that apart from abuse (leaving it at a low SOC for instance), mostly this capacity loss seems to be luck of the draw.
Battery heater only comes on when it's really cold. My heater hasn't come on since April (via TeslaFi.com)

Reactions: Kacey Green
Good to know.

Given the low C rates even at L2, I still think always charging at L1 is not the best choice. At worst it is no more or less harmful, and it's less efficient.
Well, remember that 1,500w (give or take) of L1 charge power is being spread over 7,000+ batteries, so individually the heat from L1 charging is almost a rounding error if you could track it somehow.

/edit. Yea, you're right that it's not the most efficient way to charge either. Low amperage at 208/240v at least has less losses.

The heat at even L2 is pretty minor, but the car still runs the cooling system. So you are putting wear on all the pumps for much more time. And when the battery heater is in use, you are warning up the pack, instead of rushing back to a cool pack. I think the Tesla recommendation of a 14-50 is a very sensible choice given all factors.

Picked up yesterday, one of my reps helpfully set it to 100 overnight . It was at 97% in energy display instead of miles. We had a few tweaks from service and some setting up so I have no clue what 100% is.

90 percent at least on Supercharging is 258, 80 percent at 72 amp wall connector gives 229. I'm not sure why but I had come to the conclusion that it would be where my Model S 90D was for range but it beats it by a little

The S was 80% 215 miles, 90% 246 miles and the last full charge was about 286 miles even after the new battery (the algorithm didn't adjust after the new pack, but the energy sect on of the map did much more accurate predictions)

I have a 2 year old MX 75D with 32,000 miles. 90% is 200. I baby the battery - normally charge it to 80%, don't keep it at 100% for more than a couple of hours and have supercharged roughly 40 times. My 80% range has decreased from the high 180s (187ish) shortly after delivery pickup to 177 today. In the first winter it fell into the low-to-mid 180s and stabilized but seems to have fallen over the last several month (in the summer!). I have a friend with a 2 1/2 year old MX 90D with similar driving habits and about 40k miles and his 100% is 250 (vs 257 at delivery) while mine is roughly 220 (vs 237 at delivery and 234 shortly after). I know actual range will be lower, but why has my rated range declined so much?

I have the service plan and SC says battery is fine (do they run diagnostics as part of annual service?) and that it is the software adjusting to our driving habits (life to date Wh/mil = 372). Is this true?

I had the same response when I brought in my 12/2016 MX75D with a 100% around 220 miles. The SC said that algorithm changes had adapted to my driving habits and that there was no issue with the battery modules. I'm not sure why my driving habits would trigger it. I have a low lifetime wh/mile around 330. If there's degradation, Tesla isn't copping to it. But you can see from all the posts, including of like vehicles, that lots of drivers have 90/100% readings that have stayed pretty close to when they purchased their cars. And the driving habits are likely all over the map. My driving is mostly local with a few road trips. Tesla shouldn't let us just try to guess. If the range is adapting to our driving habits, it should be in the manual.

Reactions: Kacey Green
It just does not.

I have noticed my RM will fall by a mile or two if I do a few 80% charges back to back. It comes right back when I go back to my usual 90%. It would be cool if we could have an absolute 'do this', but for now I'm settled in to just charging to 90% every night on a timer at midnight. So far so good.

100D 265mi at 90%
that's kind of low. My 10k miles 100D is at 267 for 90% That said I know there's some natural variability in batteries.
Also if you charge to 100% (did you already at least once) the number might not be all that well calibrated.

tpham07 seems to be about in the middle of the pack it seems.

X30xoYH.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________
Mine has been pretty steady for the past 15K miles.

u15s9UA.jpg

Last edited:
An update for my X 90D, currently at about 35k miles...

During this summer/fall, my 90% has consistently been 221-223 miles. Last winter, I was seeing about 217-219 consistently when I charge to 90%. I'll see what it is this winter...but overall I feel that my battery charging/performance has actually been fairly stable and consistent.