Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X: What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: 2018 X100D, 20" wheels, odo is just under 21,000 miles. 90% shows 253.62 on TeslaFi. Also recently did two deep single digit % to 100% overnight AC charges while driving cross country (usually hit 100% 1-2 hours before departure so no real damage). 100% is showing 281.93 miles for each of those. The cross country trip was a good time to deep cycle the battery a bit and get the BMS back in line.
Managed to break the TeslaFi record for X's by driving 330 miles in one shot. (100% down to 3%) Trip was from a state park near Fort Wayne, IN to the Erie PA supercharger.

Back to mostly staying in the 35-70% zone now that my yearly cross country trip/excuse to recalibrate the BMS is done.
What was your average speed, to get 330 miles? That’s impressive.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
There wouldn't even be real damage if you did it a week before departing. If you kept it charged to that every day, that would be significant. Also if you charge to 90% from time to time your BMS will stay in calibration better for a really tiny amount of extra degradation.
Well beyond the cross country trip I know I never need 90% battery, so I keep it in the middle of the pack as best I can since it's known to be better overall for batteries. If you want to charge to 100% and let the car sit for a few weeks at that SoC that's your choice.

What was your average speed, to get 330 miles? That’s impressive.
Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 2.14.28 AM.png

There was a lot of construction, so the speed was pretty low, also a nice tailwind for the majority of the trip. Finally I just stayed mostly behind semi's. Not crazy hyper-miler close, but I made an effort to always be behind one by a few car lengths. I could have gone about 12 additional miles, but at that point I was at the Supercharger, and after 6 hours I was ready to walk around. I hopefully won't be doing a drive that long again.

/edit I should add, I didn't depart in the AM with the plan of driving this long, but with so many superchargers these days, I just kept selecting one in the nav along my route, and when I got close to that one, and realized I could get to the next one I just did. Over and over. Eventually I was just like "I wonder how far I can go, the car only showed 295 miles max when it was new."

Last edited:
Well beyond the cross country trip I know I never need 90% battery, so I keep it in the middle of the pack as best I can since it's known to be better overall for batteries. If you want to charge to 100% and let the car sit for a few weeks at that SoC that's your choice.
I only charge to 100% the night before planned long drives, because why take that extra wear if I don't need it? However if I suddenly didn't need to take the long drive the next day I wouldn't sweat it. My regular usage pattern is charge nightly to 90%, and my battery is still in great health after four years, 254 rated miles vs 257 miles rated when new. I do the charging habits I have because they don't take much if any thought, and seem to have no substantial downside. If I want to hop in and drive 200 miles tomorrow I don't have to remember to charge tonight in any special manner, or have an extra Supercharger stop on the way that I could have easily avoided. During a service last year I saw the internal Tesla screen for battery health, and it's very close to my displayed RM.

I share this because there's lots of worry people have about care and feeding of these battery packs, and as far as I can tell Tesla is doing a great job of managing them so they don't need any sort of fiddly micro management of charge level to have a good life. The 'daily charge' portion of the slider really appears to me to be just that.

I only charge to 100% the night before planned long drives, because why take that extra wear if I don't need it? However if I suddenly didn't need to take the long drive the next day I wouldn't sweat it. My regular usage pattern is charge nightly to 90%, and my battery is still in great health after four years, 254 rated miles vs 257 miles rated when new. I do the charging habits I have because they don't take much if any thought, and seem to have no substantial downside. If I want to hop in and drive 200 miles tomorrow I don't have to remember to charge tonight in any special manner, or have an extra Supercharger stop on the way that I could have easily avoided. During a service last year I saw the internal Tesla screen for battery health, and it's very close to my displayed RM.

I share this because there's lots of worry people have about care and feeding of these battery packs, and as far as I can tell Tesla is doing a great job of managing them so they don't need any sort of fiddly micro management of charge level to have a good life. The 'daily charge' portion of the slider really appears to me to be just that.
Well the other problem is for most owners, the cars aren't even at 90% most of the time. They charge overnight, and then are out on the road in the morning, dropping SoC down.

My car sits, for long periods. Today was the first time I'd driven it in about a week. I choose to not let it sit at 90% for days at a time, but closer to 60%. Tesla's BMS system is great, I do agree with that, but there certainly is no harm in leaving your SoC in the middle of the pack. There is known harm the higher the state of charge. It might be insignificant, or it might not. I'll err on the side of caution, especially considering my driving (or lack of driving) habits.

If I was normal and drove 40% of the pack off every day I probably would 90% nightly charge, as that means I'm putting lots of miles on the car and will be selling it sooner then later. My car is 3 years old and just over 20,000 miles. I'm going to be driving it for years to come at this rate.

We're probably not so different in our driving behavior, minus the fact that my trips are only 300-500 miles and more frequent. I'm at 35k or so in 4 years. Often my car sits for three or four days, still at 90%. I'm just not seeing the degradation that people worry about. Since Tesla makes the choice to top at 4.15 volts (ref A Bit About Batteries) the displayed 90% is what 4.2v based SOC charts call 84%. That's well enough in to the long life area of the curve for me, and appears to validate Tesla's choice to label that as Daily.

We're probably not so different in our driving behavior, minus the fact that my trips are only 300-500 miles and more frequent. I'm at 35k or so in 4 years. Often my car sits for three or four days, still at 90%. I'm just not seeing the degradation that people worry about. Since Tesla makes the choice to top at 4.15 volts (ref A Bit About Batteries) the displayed 90% is what 4.2v based SOC charts call 84%. That's well enough in to the long life area of the curve for me, and appears to validate Tesla's choice to label that as Daily.
Screen Shot 2021-07-05 at 2.49.31 AM.png

My battery isn't awesome, but it's held steady since I started charging the pack to what I need vs leaving it at 90% all the time. I switched in early 2020 when my range started cratering. Once I started the middle of the pack thing It leveled out and stopped dropping. Also my daily drives (when I do drive) are usually only a few miles. I only drive cross country once a year.

For the night before a road trip charging to 100%, I use the 'departure' time option in the Tesla charging dialog setting it for the time we are leaving.
Prior to that, I would use 'Dashboard for Tesla' phone app that had a similar feature. Dashboard for Tesla

I'd guess 2/3s the miles are road trips a supercharging. Daily charges to 70% still using departure time for 5 am when my utility hourly rates start to go up.

x3NWY7I.jpg

Last edited:
All,
Looked at a 2017 X 100D. Odometer shows 39K. Miles to empty showed 184 at 68% SOC on the dash. I calculated that at 100% SOC the X would go 270 miles. Just used the SOC and miles to empty on the dash. Is this correct or wrong way to figure the distance before you hit 0% SOC?
Thank you.

I just picked up a 2020 Performance with 8k miles and I’m getting 256 at 90%. Is this within the range of battery degradation or should I be scheduling a visit at the service center?
That seems a little low to me. New would have been 275 or so to 90%, yes? However has it regularly been charged to 90%? If it has not, you really need to do that for at least a few charges, as the BMS can get really out of whack if it never gets to balance. Maybe throw a 100% charge with a few hours of not driving afterwards in there too.

All,
Looked at a 2017 X 100D. Odometer shows 39K. Miles to empty showed 184 at 68% SOC on the dash. I calculated that at 100% SOC the X would go 270 miles. Just used the SOC and miles to empty on the dash. Is this correct or wrong way to figure the distance before you hit 0% SOC?
Thank you.
It's a solid estimate but some things can throw it off. Not regularly charging to 90% has been known to do it. New would be 295 if memory serves, so that is also within the range of possible, if on the low side.

I just picked up a 2020 Performance with 8k miles and I’m getting 256 at 90%. Is this within the range of battery degradation or should I be scheduling a visit at the service center?
Are you on 20" wheels or 22"? If you are on the 22's (and you said it's a performance, so it's likely) then that range is normal. The 22" rims are absolutely terrible for range. They do look super hot though, so it's a tradeoff. :cool:

For the night before a road trip charging to 100%, I use the 'departure' time option in the Tesla charging dialog setting it for the time we are leaving.
Prior to that, I would use 'Dashboard for Tesla' phone app that had a similar feature. Dashboard for Tesla

I'd guess 2/3s the miles are road trips a supercharging. Daily charges to 70% still using departure time for 5 am when my utility hourly rates start to go up.

x3NWY7I.jpg
Damn dude, you held new battery range for what looks to be about 18 months and around 40,000 miles. That's incredibly impressive.

Reactions: scottf200