Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X: What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were futzing with the charging percent at delivery and left it at 100% by accident. Supercharged on the way home and when we came back in 45 minutes the car was at 258 miles.

Should I set it to 90% or 80%? The delivery person acted like we should keep it at 80% for normal use.

It's interesting. With my S85, I used to get 237 at 90%, but it degraded down to 231 over the past 10 months. I live in sunny Phoenix, AZ, so I expected the heat to be brutal on the packs. But I decided to take the packs down to 5 miles of range one day and did a full charge and after a few days of what I assume to be a complete balancing of the packs, I'm back to 237! I figured I'd get SOME degradation, so I'm surprised that I'm back to what I started with. And I'm not complaining at all. :)

Reactions: vrykolas
I just came across a screen shot from the first week after we took delivery, attached, showing 231 miles range. The car was charged to 90% as of that shot. Last week when I was traveling, I noted that the 90% level was 232 miles. Awesome!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 14.57.14.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 14.57.14.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 138
@scottf200--taking my X into the SC tomorrow to see if the vampire draw is a real issue or something I have to live with.
I posted elsewhere and seems our discharge rate is higher than others experiencing. Range of discharge in 24 hrs is 2 miles to 6 miles of the majority of people, with average ~ 4-5 miles per 24 hrs. I will let you know what they say in a week.

Reactions: scottf200
@scottf200--taking my X into the SC tomorrow to see if the vampire draw is a real issue or something I have to live with.
I posted elsewhere and seems our discharge rate is higher than others experiencing. Range of discharge in 24 hrs is 2 miles to 6 miles of the majority of people, with average ~ 4-5 miles per 24 hrs. I will let you know what they say in a week.
I just created a thread on this with some data I gathered previously. See: My Model X overnight vampire drain is 8 miles/day? Options? Norm?

Reactions: mercc3650
MX P90D...90% is 230. Setting charging time to 3 a.m. now so I start out the day with 229...[650 miles on odometer]. I would not want to have less than 250 miles if starting on a road trip, but still getting used to it and admit to some anxiety having my wife wait too long on the road while charging. Not Mel Brooks "HIGH ANXIETY", but careful planning type of concern.

Since I only have a few days of non-use while in detail shop, best calculation is 7 miles degradation per 24 hours. I assume, but do not know, that this degradation is present while driving, but since most legs are 2-3 hours, that is insignificant on the grand scale.

Why don't we charge to 95% or 100% sometimes???

Lithium ion battery chemistry becomes self-destructive above 80-90%, if left in that state of charge the batteries will, fairly quickly (days to weeks) self destruct to the point where their internal resistance increases which diminishes their ability to take a charge and reduces their available capacity.

In short, charge to 100% when you need the range, and drive it soon after charging to maximize battery life. A few hours at full charge won't hurt, a few days will.

Reactions: seclinton
Why don't we charge to 95% or 100% sometimes???

High voltage/temperature charging (like what happens when you charge ~100%) causes a build-up of an insulating byproduct around the cathode/anode inside the cells. This reduces the life-span and range of the battery.

This byproduct will always develop a thin coating around the cathode/anode from day one (and will reduce the initial range by a little), but it tends to stabilize and the thin coating will actually prevents further build-up. However, high voltage/temperature charging will increase that build-up.