Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X: What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a routine, I charge my car to 80% and run it down to 50% before I charge again to 80%. This is been happening for a few weeks now. On the "Since last charge" trip tracker, I tend to see something like 7 to 7.5 KWH draw when the SoC drops every 10%. For example, from 80 to 70 I will see 7 to 7.5 kWH and from 70 to 60 I will see something in the 14 to 15 kWH. If I have to extrapolate this, a 100% will translate to 70 to 75kWH of usable draw. This seems pretty low for a 90D. What are you seeing as the draw for 10% or for that matter any other percentage of SoC?

If what I am seeing is real, the EPA estimates for 259 miles translates to 270 wh to 290 wh / mile which we all know cannot be achieved for normal driving.

I had the same observation a while back when I started taking logs on the consumption for several days. My conclusion is that the trip meter grossly understates the energy consumption (something like 80%). I even start to suspect that the trip meter is only measuring the drive train energy consumption, not including any accessory power usage for the car, ex AC, entertainment, lighting, door operation etc.
Take a look how much KWh added after each charging session (flip between rated range and battery percent in settings), you will see the real battery consumption.

I decided to trigger the recalibration of charge counter. Ran the battery to 4%, started a 32 amp charge to 100% which would also start the rebalancing. Even though the charge limit was set at 100%, the charging stopped at 96%. My theory is that the cells are out of balance quite a bit so the charging stopped when the first set of cells reached 100% limit. I am going to let the rebalancing happen for a few days and try again to see if I can hit the official 100% charge point.

When I first got my P90DL w/22" wheels back in February, 90% was 225. I took it on a long trip and noticed the trip graph used 330 Wh/mi as the "Rated" line. In June or so, I noticed my 90% was 219 and was concerned because that's a pretty sizable drop in a short period of time. I had the SC look over the battery carefully and they insisted (and still insist) that everything is fine.

At first I was really skeptical but a few weeks ago, I noticed that the trip graph now has my "Rated" line at 340 Wh/mi. And 225*330/340 = 218.4. So that implies that the same amount of energy is stored in the pack, but at 340 Wh per mile, I only get rated at 219.

I skimmed through several of the 14 pages of this thread, but didn't see much mention of this -- what do others have as their range calculation constants? It'll be very interesting to see Bjorn switch from 22" to 20" wheels and what happens to his real-world range.