Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X: What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG
This seem normal to TMC? 90D.
While sitting at the supercharger I changed everything to miles for you guys. :)

Reactions: goneskiian
My recent observation with the SoC (% remaining rating) seems to indicate that it is not working very well. I am still doing some experiments but it looks like to me that the miles remaining estimate by the car at 90% can easily misguide someone by 10 to 20% inflated ratings than what is really available (especially with the 90D).

The only true way to find out the capacity is to run the car from 100% to 1% and see what you get as range. I did this recently and am very surprised to see 200 to 210 miles range out of my 90D even when the car thinks it averaged only 357wh/mile.

• Informative
Reactions: SSD420
My recent observation with the SoC (% remaining rating) seems to indicate that it is not working very well. I am still doing some experiments but it looks like to me that the miles remaining estimate by the car at 90% can easily misguide someone by 10 to 20% inflated ratings than what is really available (especially with the 90D).

The only true way to find out the capacity is to run the car from 100% to 1% and see what you get as range. I did this recently and am very surprised to see 200 to 210 miles range out of my 90D even when the car thinks it averaged only 357wh/mile.
So, what you're saying is that the rated range is over-rated?:rolleyes:

X 90D with 20" wheels. 9,400 miles.

First few months of owning my X, my 90% was consistently 234 miles. However for last month or so, now 90% shows 226 rated miles. I normally charge to 90%, have charged to 100% 3-4 times night before long trips and rarely let the battery reach <20%.

I have tried re-calibrating it (as discussed in this thread earlier), by letting the battery go down till 5% and charging it back to 100%. However, nothing changed.

Has anyone have had success in re-calibrating their battery/range calculations, back to 230+? what steps did you take?
8 miles of range is not the end of world for me, but wanted to make sure if any steps i should be taking to protect further degradation of range.

thanks in advance for the communitys insights/tips.

It does appear to be. But I am mostly trying to say this 90% rated range info may not be as helpful as we expect in this thread.

I agree. I am getting about 160 miles for the default charge (whatever it is set to, 85 or 90%) and I am attaining something like 390-400 Wh/m. I am extrapolating it to about 180 miles for full charge (100% battery).
The range they give on the dashboard may be quite misleading (by 60-70 miles)...

I had the same observation a while back when I started taking logs on the consumption for several days. My conclusion is that the trip meter grossly understates the energy consumption (something like 80%). I even start to suspect that the trip meter is only measuring the drive train energy consumption, not including any accessory power usage for the car, ex AC, entertainment, lighting, door operation etc.
Take a look how much KWh added after each charging session (flip between rated range and battery percent in settings), you will see the real battery consumption.
I am certain that the Trip Meter only shows drive train consumption. To prove it to yourself, turn your car on, set AC to COLD for 10 minutes (or heater to HIGH), open all the windows. Then drive: meter shows no energy used by AC.

I've been keeping very careful records of all my 90% charges since the car was new in early June. Here is the average of the three charges closest to each mileage milestone, at intervals of 2,000 miles:
  • 0 miles (new) - 236 miles @ 90%
  • 2,000 miles - 231 miles
  • 4,000 miles - 231 miles
  • 6,000 miles - 226 miles
  • 8,000 miles - 224 miles
  • 10,000 miles - 224 miles
  • 12,000 miles - 223 miles
So the bottom line is that while the degradation in the first 6,000 miles was pretty frightening (nearly 5%), the degradation in the second 6,000 miles was less so (just over 1%). Others here have said that the degradation quickly flattens out, and my records seem to confirm this. But I still have driven only 8% of what I intend to put on this battery pack.