TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

X with 21" staggered from Model S

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Laumb, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Hi!

Does the staggered 21s from Model S work for the X - and have anyone found any tires with the right dimensions and load index to be compatible with an X?

The X has wider tires, but the difference isn't so large that it'll look weird in my opinion. 265 vs 275 rear and 245 vs 265 front.

What would be the "perfect" dimension for 21s from S on an X?

2. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

The bolt pattern fits but I've been told the wheels will not clear the calipers due to different offsets.

3. Ender345

Ender345 Member

Trying to find out the same thing - have been told by the dealership that with spacers it will work, but that they don't recommend it because it can cause damage to the car. Can't tell if that's true, or if they just want me to buy new wheels. Also told by an aftermarket wheel shop that they wouldn't recommend it - but they also want to sell me wheels. Hoping someone here can weigh in on the question? I wanted to use 21" Turbine wheels from a MS on my MX - would save me quite a bit of money. Thanks!

4. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

[​IMG]

The 21" OEM Turbine will physically clear the Model X brakes since the same brakes are used on the Model S. However, the 21" OEM Turbine might not be load rated for the weight of the Model X (approximately 6800lbs Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

Our 20" TST wheels are loadrated at 900 kg per wheel and fit both the Model X and S.

Our 22" MX Forged collection of wheels are loadrated at 900kg as well.

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  5. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I find this hard to believe since Elon had 21" wheels on his X at the official release last September. I suppose they could have been custom made or perhaps had spacers on them.

6. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

For those who are still curious, we tried it on our own Model X. We still do not recommend it because we still do not know if these wheels will hold the weight of a Model X long-term.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 2
  7. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Thanks for the confirmation. Strange the load rating isn't printed on them!

I'm sure the information is somewhere but what is the weight difference between these and the 22's?

Cheers!

8. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

The information is somewhere, but not in a service center and not on the wheel. With many of the nightmares MS owners have had on 21" Turbine wheels, MX owners beware. (To be fair, there's many MS owners with 21" Turbines who have had 0 issues.)

We weigh a 21x8.5 turbine at approximately 35.4lbs
    We weigh a 22x9.0 turbine at approximately 37.6lbs

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. Yinn

Yinn Member

What do the 20" Slipstream's weigh, and what do your 20" TST's weigh?