Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X100d seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was about to buy a x100d without test drive. Was going to trade my fully loaded 2017q7. Decoded I should test drive first. Had done it a while ago so I had not cared but decided to test drive before purchase. Everything was fine but the seat was just awful. The side bolster is not adjustable. Was very uncomfortable. Got home never had this kind of back pain in my life and I am a chiropractor. I even tweeted Elon to make adjustable bolster so we can have comfort seats.

Interesting observation. I’ve found the Model X seats to be very comfortable, although I haven’t had an opportunity to compare them to a top trim Audi.

I am sure they worked for you. Just sharing my experience today. I am 6ft 3 200lbs so if people are wondering other things. I just think the bolsters need to be adjustable.
Well top trim Audi seats are difference world.
They have thigh extenders and massage function if you are wondering.
Basically will just have to wait till that function is available but I know my next suv is model x

Yea there's zero chance I would consider a vehicle that gave me "never in my life" back pain after a test drive

That said, quite a few people have ridden in ours and everyone says the seats are super comfortable, so this is probably not a common problem for the car.

The side bolster is not adjustable. Was very uncomfortable.
My seats are very comfortable; x90D with perforated black leather with cooling seats. But, I had a loaner x100d for a few days and experienced the same thing. They have since discontinued the cooling seats. Not sure the newer non-perforated seats have a tighter side bolster. But, the loaner certainly did as compared to my seats. It might loosen up after breaking it.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
I’ve had a good amount of experience with various front row seats as mine have been replaced a couple times. It appears there have been at least 3-4 versions on the firmness of the foam they use for the bolsters (bottom and back) as well as the seat bottom/back. The latest version (Dec ‘17) are considerly harder and more firm than my original version (Feb ‘17). The SC believes these changes have been to address the longevity of their seats and ensure there’s enough support after years of use.

So to the OP’s comment on how uncomfortable these seats were, it’s definitely possible, but I agree with most of the other comments that these are some of the most comfortable seats I’ve sat in.

I’ve had a good amount of experience with various front row seats as mine have been replaced a couple times. It appears there have been at least 3-4 versions on the firmness of the foam they use for the bolsters (bottom and back) as well as the seat bottom/back. The latest version (Dec ‘17) are considerly harder and more firm than my original version (Feb ‘17). The SC believes these changes have been to address the longevity of their seats and ensure there’s enough support after years of use.

So to the OP’s comment on how uncomfortable these seats were, it’s definitely possible, but I agree with most of the other comments that these are some of the most comfortable seats I’ve sat in.

Yes. It was a dec 17 model and it was a non primium seats. All I am saying it’s a great suv but I will have wait a bit till they offer more options which I am sure they will

Last edited:
Yes. It was a dec 17 model and it was a non primium seats. All I am saying it’s a great suv but I will have wait a bit till they offer more options which I am sure they will

When you say non-premium, do you mean the new cloth style multi pattern seats? If so, I just had a service loaner with these newer style base cloth seats and they were a little more aggressively bolstered, especially on the back. At first, they kind of pinched by back a little too much, but over a few weeks, I came to like them (I had the car for a month). I would try an X with the premium vegan leather to see if it fits a little better for you.

I’ve noticed a difference in comfort between the perforated and non-perforated seats (although quite slight). The non-perf seem a little harder than the perf.

I’ve had the BMW comfort seats with endless adjustments and they are nice but after a 6,000km road trip this summer I found the Model X to be an extremely comfortable vehicle.

I don’t quite understand how the side bolsters being adjustable makes them any more comfortable? Maybe it would be a good idea to have a couple of test drives in the X as it may of just been the excitement of driving awesomeness got you a little tense that day ;).

Was about to buy a x100d without test drive. Was going to trade my fully loaded 2017q7. Decoded I should test drive first. Had done it a while ago so I had not cared but decided to test drive before purchase. Everything was fine but the seat was just awful. The side bolster is not adjustable. Was very uncomfortable. Got home never had this kind of back pain in my life and I am a chiropractor. I even tweeted Elon to make adjustable bolster so we can have comfort seats.
I had an X loaner and these are the most uncomfortable automotive seats known to man. I'm sure they are fine if you are 50 kg and 195 cm tall, but for anyone else it's like sitting on two rails. The original Model S seats are very comfortable. Adjustable bolsters would make all the difference in the world.

Reactions: electrique
I am sure they worked for you. Just sharing my experience today. I am 6ft 3 200lbs so if people are wondering other things. I just think the bolsters need to be adjustable.
Well top trim Audi seats are difference world.
They have thigh extenders and massage function if you are wondering.
Basically will just have to wait till that function is available but I know my next suv is model x

I would love the thigh extenders. That’s something I’ve always wanted in a vehicle, but very few seem to offer them. My uncle had an old Ford Explorer Sport that had manual thigh extenders and they were great.

I’m 6’4” and 300 pounds and I’ve found the new Model S seats to be a bit tight for me. The X’s front seats seem just a bit wider. I’ll be at the Detroit Auto Show in a few weeks and I’ll be sure to pay extra attention so some of the luxury brand seats.

Best suv seats are by Lincoln in their navigator. 30 way adjustable.
In Tesla I just want k wait till they make bolsters adjastable reason being i feel it’s at the highest level tightness and if their is a way to make it less firm that would be great.
Will try again with the vegan seats in the New Years let’s see

Reactions: ModelX
I had an X loaner and these are the most uncomfortable automotive seats known to man. I'm sure they are fine if you are 50 kg and 195 cm tall, but for anyone else it's like sitting on two rails. The original Model S seats are very comfortable. Adjustable bolsters would make all the difference in the world.

No change in 2021. Scary painful and I've only had my Plaid for a week.

My post was from 2017. My 2020 X has great seats.

Yeah, I saw that. I’m not sure how much the seats now differ from the seats back then. From what I understand there’ve been various changes over the years, and despite that various people end up being uncomfortable regardless. Not suggesting this is a Tesla problem (although I do think the seats could be more luxurious) as much as it is a fact of life. Lots of people have physical issues and seats are very personal. Any improvements to the seats over the years have probably made them better for some people and worse for others. Seems pretty clear that the best solution is to customize the seat in some way. Just trying to figure out what the best way to do that is.

Yeah, I saw that. I’m not sure how much the seats now differ from the seats back then. From what I understand there’ve been various changes over the years, and despite that various people end up being uncomfortable regardless. Not suggesting this is a Tesla problem (although I do think the seats could be more luxurious) as much as it is a fact of life. Lots of people have physical issues and seats are very personal. Any improvements to the seats over the years have probably made them better for some people and worse for others. Seems pretty clear that the best solution is to customize the seat in some way. Just trying to figure out what the best way to do that is.
The best way is to have fully adjustable seats--particularly width and leg support. However that involves more mechanical parts that are fiddly to assemble and have additional points of failure. I don't see this happening anytime soon as the current seats are fine for the majority of people (unlike the 2017 seats which were fine for about 50%--my estimate).