Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X60D Range Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be going on my first road trip this summer in Canada, and have never used superchargers before. The longest gap between superchargers on my trip is 200km, or 125 miles (Kelowna to Revelstoke). Even though the X60D is rated for 320km (200 miles), I'm never able to get even close to this range in the city. Does anyone else have experience achieving a non-stop run of 200km between superchargers with 4 passengers and luggage in a X60D?

...I'm never able to get even close to this range in the city...

I drove my MS 85 from Burbank airport to Visalia, CA with a speed of 70 mph and a distance of 175 miles and it consumed 197 rated miles (started with 251 rated miles and ended up with 54 rated miles left). It was with loud booming bass music on, lights on for night drive, with Tejon pass elevation of 4,144 feet, with 2 occupants, no additional load, no heater, no A/C.

I guess you should have no problem if don't use heater or A/C.

Hi, we have x 60d like you and we make the reguler trip to our services center which is 137 miles away! Starting from home around 197 miles and when we drive down in the winter time! We can get to service center with about 5 miles left.

Summer time we can make the trip with about 30 miles left.

Totally doable!

So far we have done a Maine to Ohio! Np (December)

Driving to FL from Maine as I'm am getting ready!

The 60 is do able! With good planing!

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Hi, we have x 60d like you and we make the reguler trip to our services center which is 137 miles away! Starting from home around 197 miles and when we drive down in the winter time! We can get to service center with about 5 miles left.

Summer time we can make the trip with about 30 miles left.

Totally doable!

So far we have done a Maine to Ohio! Np (December)

Driving to FL from Maine as I'm am getting ready!

The 60 is do able! With good planing!

5 miles left only? That's the definition of range anxiety to me! 30 miles is a little more re-assuring, but don't know how much affect luggage for a family of 4 would have on range. I'm going in July, so I will need some AC unless I open the windows.

I wouldn't worry about it. I drove 120 miles with my 24kwh LEAF. You can do it with a 60kwh battery (and a much bigger heavier car but Teslas are also fairly efficient if you aren't using the very inefficient PTC heater).

I know I have a Model S, but its the same battery. I just drove (when my S was a 60D) from Chicago to Ithaca NY. The last supercharger was Erie PA. 237 miles from my destination. My 60D was rated 218 miles. I made it with 9 rated miles.

You must leave your energy consumption chart up and rely on the nav estimates (which are always conservative). Use math. I averaged 258wh/mi. Rated use is 291wh/mi for an S. So I was about 15% more efficient and I got 15% more range than 218 (250.7 miles vs. 218)). My "estimated" miles remaining was 16 based on this increased efficiency.

Range anxiety should kick in only if the math indicates you won't make it. If that is the case, lower your speed and your efficiency will increase a bunch. As long as you keep an eye every 30 minutes on your efficiency, you'll know well ahead of time if you'll make it. None of your stops are even close to your max range. I think you'll arrive with plenty of battery at each stop, so this is likely overkill but its nice to have reassurance on your first road trip.

You will soon forget about range anxiety and you'll appreciate superchargers once you get to use them and see how quickly you can add miles while taking care of yourself at each stop.

We had a close call when we weren't able to destination charge with our X60D this winter in a rural area with 10 degree temps. But, as the temps warm up it seems to be much easier to achieve close to rated range. I think the key is really driving gently, not only reducing your top speed but also really resist the urge to accelerate quickly, especially up hills. I've found the autopilot is not that good at this, so you may have to take over if there are frequent hills.

Lastly, the S60 owners were lucky to have their upgrade price reduced to 2K, but us X60 owners did get a 3K reduction to 6.5K. Common wisdom around here is that it's still a bad deal, but honestly I will consider it before my next road-trip as it's something I'm going to want to do eventually for a little more breathing room on legs of the trip where we're able to charge to 100%, especially trips not involving superchargers that approach the 200-mile range limit. S owners have a little more efficiency, I think with the X being a little less efficient the extra range boost is more valuable.

I've made a trip from Northern Colorado to Silverthorne, CO in my MX 60D. 126 miles with the elevation profile below. In the winter, below freezing and wet roads, I can BARELY make it. In the summer, no issue at all if starting with 100% charge and doing +5 mph of the speed limit. That peak in the elevation profile is a killer. But I can make the return trip with plenty to spare :D.

Please note: profile photo is in meters/km.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: IdaX
We have a X60D too, and it's hard to come close to the rated range. Unlike other EV's (we also have an i3 and have driven 2 loaner MS), it's nearly impossible to drive normally in So. Cal. (especially speed in Irvine and nearby freeways) and expect to get within 70% of the rated range. I have had to use nearby superchargers 4 times because we ran out of range after just driving around for about 100 to 120 miles (started with rated range of 180 miles).

If only driving in the city running errands, I get about 450-550Wh/mi. When I go further driving on the freeways on weekends, I can get 300Wh/mi. So 70% of rated range sounds just about right driving in the city. I wouldn't expect you will see the same inefficiency driving long range.

If only driving in the city running errands, I get about 450-550Wh/mi. When I go further driving on the freeways on weekends, I can get 300Wh/mi. So 70% of rated range sounds just about right driving in the city. I wouldn't expect you will see the same inefficiency driving long range.

Hmm... I can't get to the 300Wh/mi even on the freeway. Just curious what your climate control setting and freeway speed are at? I would like to be able to get that number on the freeway so I can do the round trip to SD without stopping by a supercharger.

A different perspective: a 100% charge for the 60D is like a 85% charge for the 75D. I have done several trips on my MX75D with 85% starting charge, traveling 150 miles and arriving destination with a 5-6% charge. This is in California winter.

I think you should be fine.

Whatever you do....its all in your control. You can plan in advance (PlugShare), make a test run or two, drive slower, stop more often, draft a big wheeler, carry mutliple charging adapters, upgrade your battery etc. Excellent tips as stated above in Doug's rules of the road (The Rules of Model S Road Tripping). It should be doable, but its all how you drive especially in adverse conditions. Plan ahead and have a blast!!

Revelstoke is about 500' higher, plus you'll be driving through mountains. I would guess its doable, but not a lot of margin. You'll probably have to slow down. Might be worth stopping at an L2 charging station for lunch on your first attempt.

Hmm... I can't get to the 300Wh/mi even on the freeway. Just curious what your climate control setting and freeway speed are at? I would like to be able to get that number on the freeway so I can do the round trip to SD without stopping by a supercharger.
Climate on auto set at 67F with rear on. Usually drive around 70-75mph on freeway.