Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X90D battery capacity question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mid 2016 built X90D was indicating about 36 KWh used at 50% down from a max charge so I was concerned. As a test I ran it down for the first time to zero and did a max range charge to 100% and the dash indicated 73 KWh. Is this normal? I was expecting around 84 KWh. My email to Tesla service was answered politely with the indication that they will be contacting me with more info. Thanks for anyone's experience with low battery capacity.

Greeson Tesla  0 to 100% charge.jpg

Reactions: JimVandegriff
What does it say if you change it to 'energy' (I believe it is) so it shows kWh and not percent? The amount added (the 73) is less important than what it thinks it has onboard.

Thanks Lee. That display changes from miles added to kWh added when switching from Energy to Distance. The top number (100%) changes to miles of range. My concern still is the usable capacity of my battery. I just returned home with 8% left and my Trip display since last charge was 61.6 kWh used. (started at 100%) That computes to about 67 kWh if I drove to 0%.

Can anyone explain to me what I should be seeing?

No response from Tesla Service so far.

Thanks,
Jim

You are not alone in this. I did a 200 km trip and left with 388 km range indicated. Arrived with only 98 km left, so 290 km used. I drive this trip twice a week and it is always the same. My momentary usage was 235 kWh steady, driving most on AP2, speed set on 125 km/h and outside temp around 10 C. Obviously I used the interior heater and headlights.

Curious what the experienced forum members think of this....

Ug, I can't help in kms as we are so used to miles. For example, to achieve stated rated range you have to get 320kWh average.

Remember that the 90kWh battery actually only has like 86.? kWh of max capacity, then some reserved so like 81kWh total usable. They all have less than stated, and then less due to reserve. The first battery that is actual capacity (plus some even) is the 100kWh which has something like 101kWh max capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike M
Ug, I can't help in kms as we are so used to miles. For example, to achieve stated rated range you have to get 320kWh average.

Remember that the 90kWh battery actually only has like 86.? kWh of max capacity, then some reserved so like 81kWh total usable. They all have less than stated, and then less due to reserve. The first battery that is actual capacity (plus some even) is the 100kWh which has something like 101kWh max capacity.
Yes, 102.4 kWh total, 98.4 kWh usable. By far the closest to advertised.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike M
At 50k miles I have about 75 useable kWh, which I think is about normal (when new the 90 kWh packs had about 82 useable kWh). Hoping to upgrade to a 100 kWh pack (98 useable kWh) for a 30% range increase when it's available, as my towing range is sometimes shorter than the distance between some Superchargers, such as Grants Pass - Springfield.

Reactions: JimVandegriff
My mid 2016 built X90D was indicating about 36 KWh used at 50% down from a max charge so I was concerned. As a test I ran it down for the first time to zero and did a max range charge to 100% and the dash indicated 73 KWh. Is this normal? I was expecting around 84 KWh. My email to Tesla service was answered politely with the indication that they will be contacting me with more info. Thanks for anyone's experience with low battery capacity.

View attachment 224063
What did the service team say? I have a 2016 90D and wondering what the expected remaining kWh capacity should be. Do you know the new car's usable capacity?