Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xbox One & PS4 Controller Support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Xbox One for playing Halo 5 free for all games. I normally use it as wireless with my Xbox, but it has a micro usb plug on the front. Did you just use a usb to micro usb cable and it worked like that?

I also have an Xbox 360 that hasn't been used in a while, I wonder if its controllers would work.

I bought a Xbox One controller from Best Buy, but the USB in my Model 3 doesn't seem to have the amperage to power it. I plug it onto my PC and the power light comes on. Plug into the car and nothing.

Anyone else have this issue? It is made by PDP (Performance Designed Products).
20181221_111844.jpg

If you are using the first generation PS4 controller it will not work. The newer second generation controller that comes with the PS4 Slim should works as it supports connection to a PC. I have the first gen PS4 controller... :(

I bought a Xbox One controller from Best Buy, but the USB in my Model 3 doesn't seem to have the amperage to power it. I plug it onto my PC and the power light comes on. Plug into the car and nothing.
Which ports have you tried?

A device like this should generally take ~500mA of power. AFAIK, all of the USB ports on the Tesla can provide >1A of power. So I don't think it's a power thing, I think the light might only come on when the device is properly configured by whatever it's connected to (PC/Xbox). Some of the ports on the Tesla are power-only, others are power + data. You need the power + data ports. Not sure which ones those are. Look @ some of the dashcam threads, they'll tell you which USB ports need to be used for the flash drive (those are power + data ports).

Which ports have you tried?

A device like this should generally take ~500mA of power. AFAIK, all of the USB ports on the Tesla can provide >1A of power. So I don't think it's a power thing, I think the light might only come on when the device is properly configured by whatever it's connected to (PC/Xbox). Some of the ports on the Tesla are power-only, others are power + data. You need the power + data ports. Not sure which ones those are. Look @ some of the dashcam threads, they'll tell you which USB ports need to be used for the flash drive (those are power + data ports).

FYI, the "power + data" ports in the model 3 are the ones in the center console in the front, according to the manual. The ones on the console in the back are power only. I have noticed also that some splitter cables do seem to work properly while others (and some USB hubs) do.

Any positive news on this front - especially with v10? I heard xbox controller support now exists in v10, but what version of the xbox controller (other than duh, USB)… xbox One, xbox 360, what? Would generic versions work, or just genuine MS controllers?