Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xcel Energy EV Accelerate At Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I signed up for Xcel Energy's EV Accelerate at Home program to see what it would be like - tbh I am not doing it to save an extra $30 an month or whatever, but to just support EVs in general and see how companies like Xcel do this kind of service. Anyone else with Xcel service or similar try something like this?

the basics;
- $0.06 per kWH
- have to charge between 12am and 8am
- have to rent either a ChargePoint or JuiceBox charger
- $17 flat fee to rent the charger
- install and maintenance covered by the flat fee
- must have wifi connectivity at the location of the charger

Got the confirmation email today stating their electrician will contact me "within 2 biz days." I already have a 50amp, 240v 14-50 outlet installed. Will report back how this performs.

Xcel rates for standard residential plan are .08 for 2/3 of the year and .09 for 1/3:
Xcel Energy - Regular Residential Plan
There is also a basic $8 a month service charge regardless of energy used. I assume the $17/mo charge is in addition to the $8/mo fee.
So you are saving an average of 2.33 cents per kwh for a monthly $17 fee. $17/.0233 = 729.6 - this would be your break even point for monthly kwh use. Here in MN you might average about 3 miles per kwh, so do you drive more or less than 2188 miles/month? That's 26266 miles a year - about double what an average driver does in a year. Even if you only get 2.5 miles/kwh break even is still 21,888 mi/yr. This also assumes you never need to charge outside the overnight hours.

Edit: Looking at this:
EV Accelerate at Home
Your rate would be just 2.8 cents/kwh from midnight-6am. That would be much more reasonable.
Is this the program you are talking about? If you stick to those hours (midnight - 6am): $16.48/.05533 = 298, or 10722 miles a year.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it’s 2.8 cents per kWh, idk why I sometimes see 5.8 on the website but if that’s true then this program isn’t worth it.

anyway, what I want to know is if my car will draw power from the outlet when plugged in even when charging is scheduled or using scheduled departure in order to, maybe, keep the battery from dropping into subzero temps, and if it does pull power for that purpose during the “penalty” hours of the day will I get hit with those higher charges?

Yeah I think it’s 2.8 cents per kWh, idk why I sometimes see 5.8 on the website but if that’s true then this program isn’t worth it.

anyway, what I want to know is if my car will draw power from the outlet when plugged in even when charging is scheduled or using scheduled departure in order to, maybe, keep the battery from dropping into subzero temps, and if it does pull power for that purpose during the “penalty” hours of the day will I get hit with those higher charges?

In my case the charger only works between 11 pm and 7 am. It does not matter if I plug in the car at other times.