TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Xcel Time of Use Rates in Colorado

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by theheff, Apr 4, 2017.

1. MrClown

MrClown Autosteer Beta Tester

Yes, three rate periods but only in summer. Winter is only the one rate - at least it's the cheapest one.

What bugs me is that they're raising the cheapest rate from the current TOU off-peak of 0.05413 to 0.05539 per kWh. Even the regular non-TOU residential rate is currently 0.05461 so it's an increase for everyone.

2. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.16.2.1

The winter rate is good for some. It's not so great for those of us who've invested in solar and Powerwalls as it greatly affects the payback period.

3. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

I would agree, although I'd change 'some' to 'nearly everyone.' Even those of us with substantial solar (not to your standards, but for example my 8+ kW) but no Powerwalls will likely come out well ahead if winter is completely off-peak rates. At least for my system, I'm a net consumer of a bit of peak and a bit more shoulder during the winter, so the fact that I'm paying off-peak rates for those is a net benefit.

I think the count of Xcel customers with enough solar to cover virtually all of their usage as well as enough storage to arbitrage a benefit out of the rates is fairly small. Like probably countable on two hands small. :)

• Like x 1
  4. DavidL312

DavidL312 Member

Doesn't look great for me. I'm net positive during the workday as I've got my house idle power down to 300 watts.

They shifted the start of the shoulder two hours later. I produce pretty good power between 9 and 11, so that would be credited at the off-peak rate. And, the later start of the peak pricing will also mean less extra credit for the power I'm pushing to the grid.

Makes me wish I had a power-wall.

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.16.2.1

Yeah, we use virtually nothing during the day (but our idle usage is probably around 800 Watts) so we're able to export nearly everything during peak and some from the shoulder periods too. Usually our morning production goes towards recharging the Powerwalls. The Powerwalls make it so nearly all of our usage is off-peak but we'll really miss having peak year-round. I should create a spreadsheet to crunch the numbers before and after the change.

Yes, @Zaxxon is right. I'm probably in the minority...complaining about peak rates going away for 8 months of the year. lol

6. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Good problem to have, though. You'll just have to get a 300-gallon aquarium or something to use all that juice... Or maybe another Tesla?

7. GalacticHero

GalacticHero M3-AWD+

I did not get the email and just noticed this thread. I switched to the beta TOU plan when I bought my M3 at the end of 2018. I didn't even know they had that plan before I bought the Tesla.

I must be missing something, my Dec bill shows RETOU Off Peak to be $0.044400. Doesn't seem to match with the figures other are quoting.

The change will be a mixed bag for me. I don't have solar (yet) so no issues there, but have the M3 to of course start charging at 9pm. On non-work mornings I manually stop charging before 9am. If the rate becomes fixed during the winter season then I'll just start charging when I get home. For various reasons I'm still using Level 1 charging; so, can use the extra cheap charging time.

Not sure what I'll do during the summer with the new rates and the off-peak start moving to 11pm. I'm probably going to have to just accept the higher shoulder rate for the first part of my charge (or solve my issues for why I can't install Level 2 charging.)

8. MrClown

MrClown Autosteer Beta Tester

You're right about the 0.044400, I read the wrong line on the bill. That is a significant loss for us on the beta program.

For your summer charging, the off peak starts at 10pm and extends to 11am so while you do have to schedule the charge to start an hour later, you get one extra hour of total off peak charging time overall.

9. GalacticHero

GalacticHero M3-AWD+

The time I have to leave for work doesn't change, so I don't get the extra hour back on those days, but can take advantage on the weekends.

Kind of bums me out. Basically for the winter period the rate is going back to the old flat rate number (slightly higher.) Only advantage comes from the TOU during summer rather than the tiered system. During winter I'll probably just turn of the charge timer and let it charge until at desired charge. Now, since I'm using L1 charging I don't replace the 50 miles I drive during a single cold evening charge; so, my charge level dribble down until the weekend when I get a couple days of charging in a row. I work 1 mile from Park Meadows so will pop over to the Supercharger for a quick top-off if a have a lot of driving in a week! [I really need to get the L2 charging at home]