Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xcel Time of Use Rates in Colorado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opted not to change for now. (No Tesla yet, but we have a Leaf and PHEV). The winter rates might work as the peak and shoulder times aren't raised too radically, but the summer kills it for me. That peak rate seems too risky to me.

I work from home, and with 2 plug-ins I often have to charge one of them during the day (or at least during shoulder periods). We've got solar but I'm not certain our peak generation would fully make up for the increased rates.

For our usage, the benefits aren't clear enough to make the switch.

So, I changed my mind and submitted our application. Upon further reflection I think we can shift enough usage that combined with the solar production offsetting peak and shoulder usage we should come out ahead or at least on par with current costs. And it's a challenge, which makes it fun...

For the rest of us in CO on united power it is even more favorable.

Time of Day Rate Information
  • On-Peak Hours: 2 p.m. – 10 p.m. Energy Charge: $0.15107
  • Off-Peak Hours: 10 p.m. – 2 p.m. Energy Charge: $0.0592
  • Facility Charge: $19.00/month
  • Sundays considered off-peak
  • Off-Peak Holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day

Time of Day Rate | United Power Cooperative

I would look at their EV Rate plan also.

Requires a Separate Meter for the EV, but only $0.033/kWh in Minnesota.

I desperately hope they change it soon.
It is an awful plan. In addition to running new service to the garage, which can cost a bundle, you then incur a monthly meter charge.

As to CO TOU plan, I wish we had that in MN.
Our time of use is a simple 9am - 9pm peak, 9pm - 9am off peak. No shoulder time frame.
Of course, we also have no smart meters yet :(

I am happy to hear they have this in CO though, as it implies they will be rolled out in MN eventually.

Same for us. Barry needs to shade his windows in the summer and open them at night.
I do have window shades :) I am on the top floor of a 5 story brick/stucco condo building, and concrete all around at ground level, so there's a lot of absorbed heat being released after sunset, not to mention the "heat rises" thing.

BTW, my elec bill doesn't include charging, as that's separated out and billed by the HOA.

I do have window shades :)
I was thinking of external shade, but that does not sound like an option for you. Your next best choice is to have light colored shades that reflect (hopefully) close to 50% of the radiant heat and then traps the remainder between the blind and the glass. If you crack the window open a smidge the trapped heat will tend to exit to the outside rather than make its way into your home if the blinds are well fitted to the window frame.

Do you open windows to ventilate the home at night ?

Last edited:
They break down the rate into a bunch of line items here in CO. That rate in the OP's screenshot above includes everything in the red and blue boxes in the screenshot of my bill here. I think the only thing that really changes though is what's in the red box. That should change as shown in the rates in the second screenshot here (from their 12/8/2016 public filing).

That the sum of both red and blue boxed items is 9.748 cents, which rounds to the 10 cents they mention as the current rates.
Change the red box to .13814 and the total is 18.101 cents, which wouldn't quite round to 19 unless you always round up. Maybe some other rate changes slightly too? Some of the others don't quite line up either so maybe there's a newer filing that adjusts those numbers slightly.

Edit: or maybe different people get slightly different add ons and they're just giving an approximate number that sort of works for everyone.

I'll share the specifics when I get them from Xcel.

I haven't yet been confirmed 'in' by Xcel, but figured I'd share some more detailed info that I've dug up so far. Boy, it'd be nice if Xcel would have prepared an actual direct comparison page for us...

Xcel Colorado Residential rate card: https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/xe/Regulatory/COResRates.pdf

The charges detailed below are the electric rates themselves. For simplicity they do not include the adjustments (Transmission $0.001090/kWh, PCCA ($0.004650/kWh), DSMCA ($0.001320/kWh), CACJA ($0.005030/kWh), ECA ($0.030780/kWh), RESA (2% of electric bill sans taxes), ESA (0.94% credit to base monthly amount)) which I do not believe vary between the plans. Since we're talking about shifting usage rather than reducing usage, I don't think these adjustments are relevant to the discussion.

On the Residential General Service (Schedule R) which most of us are currently on:
Static charges:
$5.39 Service/Facility Charge
$1.15 Production Meter Charge (for PV owners--note, I do not see this charge on my bills. Must apply only to relatively new PV owners?)​

Energy charges: (per kWh)
Winter (10/1-5/31): $0.05461
Summer (6/1-9/30)): $0.05461 (Tier 1, first 500 kWh), and $0.09902 (Tier 2, all over 501 kWh)​

On Residential Time-of-Use (Schedule RE-TOU):
Static charges:
$8.75 Service/Facility Charge ($3.36 increase over Res General) - Note that the TOU web pages list $5.39, but both the full rate card and the TOU-specific one mention $8.75, making me think that's the actual number.
$1.15 Production Meter Charge (Same as Res General)​

Energy charges: (per kWh)
Winter (10/1-5/31):
On-Peak (2p-6p): $0.08880
Shoulder (9a-2p,6p-9p): $0.05413
Off-Peak (9p-9a): $0.04440​
Summer (6/1-9/30):
On-Peak (2p-6p): $0.13814
Shoulder (9a-2p,6p-9p): $0.08420
Off-Peak (9p-9a): $0.04440​
Note that holidays and weekends include no peak period. Instead the shoulder category encompasses the full 9a-9p period. Holidays are defined as New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.

There's a 6-month grace period, during which new TOU customers can opt back out to the R schedule, however after opting out you will continue to pay the higher service/facility charge per the TOU-specific link above. After the grace period, you must stick with TOU for at least 12 months.

Take-aways (if I'm reading this stuff properly!):
  • Switching to this plan brings a $3.36 increase in the base service/facility charge, plus a $1.15 production meter charge for anyone who's not already paying it. That totals $4.51, or 82.6 kWh worth of old (winter/Tier1 summer) Residential General electricity that must be recouped by the TOU rates before a switching customer breaks even.
  • Switching to this plan and then switching back will leave you with the increased service/facility charge permanently. Of course it's likely that this becomes the normal service/facility charge in 2020 when these rates presumably roll out beyond the elective period's voluntary set-up, but it's something to be aware of.
  • Compared to the base Residential General winter and summer tier1 service, the TOU rates relate as follows:
    • Off-Peak - 19% cheaper
    • Winter Shoulder - 0.9% cheaper
    • Winter Peak - 63% more expensive
    • Summer Shoulder - 54% more expensive
    • Summer Peak - 153% more expensive
  • Compared to the base Residential General summer tier 2 service, the TOU rates relate as follows:
    • Off-Peak - 55% cheaper
    • Summer Shoulder - 15% cheaper
    • Summer Peak - 39.5% more expensive
  • Therefore, in order to be cheaper than the Residential General plan, a switching customer must migrate enough usage away from winter/summer tier 1 to off-peak, and/or enough summer tier 2 usage to off-peak or shoulder, to offset the increased costs in every other category as well as the $3.36-$4.51 increased fixed facility fees that come with switching to the TOU plan.
  • This is a very tough sell for typical, non-EV-owning, non-solar PV generation customers, I think. It seems like it'd be an extreme long shot for typical customers to come out ahead given these rates. For those of us who have solar to reduce our peak and shoulder usage, and a good chunk of our consumption happening during off-peak times when vehicles charge overnight, the TOU rates could be advantageous.
Whew. Please check my math here and let me know if I've bungled any calculations up.

*snip*
  • This is a very tough sell for typical, non-EV-owning, non-solar PV generation customers, I think. It seems like it'd be an extreme long shot for typical customers to come out ahead given these rates. For those of us who have solar to reduce our peak and shoulder usage, and a good chunk of our consumption happening during off-peak times when vehicles charge overnight, the TOU rates could be advantageous.
Whew. Please check my math here and let me know if I've bungled any calculations up.

Nice summary. I agree with what you've found and good catch on the increased fixed fees - those do have a noticeable impact on the cost/benefit calculation. Anyone with solar overproduction should benefit from the TOU plan just because you get to offset significantly more than you do today. Anyone else is much less likely to benefit.

Thanks to @Zaxxon and others. I noticed those increased fees too after I started doing more research but didn't find the PDF until Zaxxon posted it. These rates don't seem nearly as cheap as some other TOU plans I've read about in other states. :(

We don't have solar yet but are hoping to add it in the coming year or two. We do have some Powerwalls 2s coming from the referral program so I don't really need to consider the ROI on those. We need to figure out if it is worthwhile to get them installed now or wait until after we have solar installed. :confused:

Thanks to @Zaxxon and others. I noticed those increased fees too after I started doing more research but didn't find the PDF until Zaxxon posted it. These rates don't seem nearly as cheap as some other TOU plans I've read about in other states. :(

We don't have solar yet but are hoping to add it in the coming year or two. We do have some Powerwalls 2s coming from the referral program so I don't really need to consider the ROI on those. We need to figure out if it is worthwhile to get them installed now or wait until after we have solar installed. :confused:

If you need a recommendation on solar installers, I know a guy. :) He's even up in your area.

If you need a recommendation on solar installers, I know a guy. :) He's even up in your area.
Feel free to PM me the info you have.

I just got the email from XCEL saying I'd been accepted. They did send a link to this page which answers some questions: Xcel Energy - Pricing Plans FAQ

I think I need to put together a spreadsheet to see how much the TOU plan will save me vs. the regular residential plan.

BTW, is it just me or could the Peak Demand plan be really expensive if you have two or three cars charging at once? Yikes! I guess if one is on that plan, they would scheduled their cars to not all charge at the same time. Currently, we have two Teslas charging at the same time in the morning to warm the batteries before work. That would be unfortunate if someone accidentally started charging during the peak period. :eek:

This thread would interest me a lot more if Xcel would stop curtailing wind at night.

I think it was you that mentioned that a while ago on this forum, which was the first I'd heard of it. Do you have any info or sources on that? I'm curious why that happens. Is it because they have some contracts to operate the coal plants for some base load requirement?

On the plus side, Xcel continues to reduce coal in our energy mix, going from 52.9% in 2015 to 46% in 2016 (source: Xcel bill inserts). They also increased their wind solar and hydro combined from 22.6% to 28.9%. That trend seems like it will continue.

I'd also like to see more info on that, SageBrush.

Side note: Xcel substantially lowered the cost of their Windsource program this year, to $0.015/kWh down from $0.022/kWh. It's an easy way to move your electrical production to effectively 100% renewable, for on average around $10 more/month. Xcel buys and retires RECs on behalf of Windsource customers, adding additional wind to the Xcel mix above what they are required to source (and realistically, above what they would do without the Windsource surcharge). Windsource production is all located in Colorado.

FAQ | Product Content Label | Green-e audit report for 2015

And to expand on MrClown's coal comment above: current Xcel sourcing is 46% coal, 25% nat gas, 23% wind, 4% hydro, 2% solar. Given Colorado's (and Xcel specifically) terrible, terrible energy mix, solar PV and Windsource make a great combo. We installed solar to cover around 40% of our current usage (incl an EV and a PHEV), and we Windsource the rest both to encourage ourselves to use less energy (as we're paying a small amount extra) and to do something (albeit a small something) to encourage Xcel to improve the mix it provides.

Think I answered my own question on curtailment...

Xcel Wind Energy page

Xcel Energy’s Colorado system is somewhat unique in that it is small and serves a limited geographic area, which can present challenges for integrating high levels of variable wind energy. Wind generation served 19 percent of our Colorado electric load needs in 2015 and helped avoid nearly five million tons of carbon emissions. For system reliability reasons, we had to curtail about 3 percent of our total wind generation for the year. To manage the cost and overall impact of curtailments, the company has taken the following steps:

• Negotiating purchase power agreements that include free curtailment hours.
  • Conducting a special screening as part of the resource planning process to account for curtailment costs as we evaluate future resources.
  • Exploring opportunities to increase the flexibility of our Colorado system by developing a larger, organized market in the West; as a step in this direction, the company received approval from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission to begin in summer 2016 the joint dispatch of its resources with the resources of other Colorado utilities to allow for more efficient and cost-effective, real-time system operations.

Think I answered my own question on curtailment...

Xcel Wind Energy page

I read that to mean that they have agreements to purchase some base load of coal power. At night that base load + wind can get to be too much power. They could curtail their coal base load with some penalty cost, or they could curtail the wind power they control for free so they choose that.

According to that they only curtail 3% of their wind power and are working on ways to make that better in the future. That doesn't seem all bad. Maybe as more EVs come online in CO (and TOU plans take hold), we'll need more electricity at night reducing wind curtailment further.

I read that to mean that they have agreements to purchase some base load of coal power. At night that base load + wind can get to be too much power. They could curtail their coal base load with some penalty cost, or they could curtail the wind power they control for free so they choose that.

According to that they only curtail 3% of their wind power and are working on ways to make that better in the future. That doesn't seem all bad. Maybe as more EVs come online in CO (and TOU plans take hold), we'll need more electricity at night reducing wind curtailment further.
PSCO (Xcel) has agreements with I think 5 windfarms to curtail without cost to the utility up to 60,000 hours a year. I take that to mean that in any case where they would incur cycling costs on coal plants, they curtail wind. If an average windmill is say 1.5 GW, this amounts to 90 TWh a year. And keep in mind that curtailment typically happens at night when load decreases.

Last edited: