Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xcel Time of Use Rates in Colorado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I did not include the S&F fee in my calculations--that's what would have pushed it over. Sorry, there are so many ways to look at this that I've been focusing solely on the per-kWh fees as that's the variable that I control. On an overall bill basis, you're correct. I paid > $0.10/kWh. Had I consumed 10,000 kWh, I would have paid < $0.10/kWh.
Well, 10-11 cents a kWh for clean net energy and no other fees is wonderful.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I just got my first bill where I've had TOU for a full billing cycle. Looks like my on-peak usage was less than 10% of the entire usage for the month.

Analyze to your heart's content:
Capture.PNG

Looks like you have two entries for each rate period since your bill spans non-summer (pre-6/1) and summer. Thanks for posting; this gives a good contrast of a solar PV vs non-solar PV case, both with EVs charging at night.

Just got my first full-month bill on the TOU:

XcelTOU-Jul2017.JPG

Looks like total net usage of 718 kWh, for $73.10 in electricity charges, for a net of $0.102/kWh. Since I'm on WindSource, this would equate to a pre-WindSource $0.087/kWh. With the exception of last month's weird part-TOU/part-old plan bill, this is the cheapest/kWh I've paid since 2014.

Granted, it's solar peak season, but it's also A/C peak season which is our biggest daytime load. Seems promising so far.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Just got my first full-month bill on the TOU:

View attachment 238933

Looks like total net usage of 718 kWh, for $73.10 in electricity charges, for a net of $0.102/kWh. Since I'm on WindSource, this would equate to a pre-WindSource $0.087/kWh. With the exception of last month's weird part-TOU/part-old plan bill, this is the cheapest/kWh I've paid since 2014.

Granted, it's solar peak season, but it's also A/C peak season which is our biggest daytime load. Seems promising so far.

Looks great. I saved around $40 last bill due to having about 90% of my energy usage during off-peak.

Has anyone received their second bill since switching to the time of use plan? I received my first bill last month and figure I saved about 25%. When I got my bill this month, it was only for gas. The electrical usage was listed but not billed. I called Xcel and they said I would be billed for the usage eventually. Yesterday, I received an email that said I should now be able to see detailed usage reports online:

See how you are using energy.

Thank you for participating in our new Time of Use Pricing Plan!

As part of your new plan, you have access to a detailed report that will allow you to see:
  • Specific data on when you are using energy
  • How you're using energy on a day to day, hour by hour basis
To view your new report click here to log into My Account and from the left hand side menu, select "My Usage".
To maximize your savings, whenever possible, consider running big electricity users like electric water heater, dishwasher, electric clothes dyer, electric vehicle chargers etc. during the lowest cost hours of 9 p.m. to 9 a.m.

17-07-308_CO_TOU_Cling_F.png

Need help remembering key hours? We are sending you appliance decals, like the one above, to place on or near your major electrical appliances. Look for those to be arriving in your mailbox in the next few weeks.​

However, when I log into my account, there's no new report available. Has anyone seen the new "day to day, hour by hour" reports that should be available?

I did receive my second bill, and posted it above. Did not have any issues with electrical being missing.

Also received the detailed usage email. Looks like the implementation is pretty bare-bones. Instead of just seeing electrical usage for a set of periods, you can pick a single TOU rate to display instead. I was hoping for more detailed graphs, eg % usage by rate, etc. Doesn't look like that's possible. Essentially, they just took their existing graph capability and added the other rate/usage classes without altering the functionality to compensate.

I did receive my second bill, and posted it above. Did not have any issues with electrical being missing.

Also received the detailed usage email. Looks like the implementation is pretty bare-bones. Instead of just seeing electrical usage for a set of periods, you can pick a single TOU rate to display instead. I was hoping for more detailed graphs, eg % usage by rate, etc. Doesn't look like that's possible. Essentially, they just took their existing graph capability and added the other rate/usage classes without altering the functionality to compensate.
I checked again and finally spotted the option for Report Type. It's not very obvious. I do agree it is pretty bare-bones. I tried changing the Report Type and Overlay and it leaves a lot to be desired. I would prefer to have multiple bar graphs (one for each rate) instead of only being able to do one bar and one line overlay.

Are you seeing any "day to day, hour by hour" reporting? I'm only able to see monthly usage so it seems something is still missing (or not obvious).

Last edited:
I just got an email from Xcel indicating they've fixed the detailed hour by hour reporting on their site.
Here's an example of the "day by day" report. You have to click on a month and then it will load and display data for that month. Not the most obvious but at least it works now!
hour by hour.PNG

You can then click on a day and see the hour by hour report:

hourbyhour2.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: MrClown
I got the same email, but clicking on a month still does nothing for me. Weird.
I just tested in Chrome (desktop and mobile), Firefox, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge and am able to see the graphs in all browsers. Are you clicking on My Usage first and then scrolling to the graph and clicking on a month? It does take an agonizing 15 to 20 seconds after clicking on a month before the daily or hourly graph is displayed.

Man, nice timing on bumping this thread. I just got my latest bill. 660 kWh for a total cost of $39.92, or $0.06/kWh. That includes WindSource charge. Without that it'd have been $0.0502/kWh. For July, I had a net-zero on-peak *and* net-zero shoulder usage. I am liking this plan...

Edit - I did the math wrong, using the wrong usage #. The actual usage after my solar production is taken out was 451 kWh, making the cost/kWh incl WindSource $0.089/kWh. Still liking the plan.