Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Xcelerate XCare EV Protection compared to Tesla ESA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@X-Care EV - is there a price adjustment for a Tesla under a Tesla ESA? Would a 2016 under ESA until 2024 need to purchase coverage this year to get battery coverage?
Thanks for the question, and happy to help! Yes, for a 2016 to take advantage of the Battery and Drive Unit coverage you would need to complete the purchase before 12/31/2023. Hope there's not too much overlap, but if you're keeping the car for a long time this coverage is worth it! -XCare

Reactions: jpk195
Thanks for the question, and happy to help! Yes, for a 2016 to take advantage of the Battery and Drive Unit coverage you would need to complete the purchase before 12/31/2023. Hope there's not too much overlap, but if you're keeping the car for a long time this coverage is worth it! -XCare
I have a question as coverage is still not clear for my situation.

I have a 2016 Model S.
My used vehicle limited warranty expires in Oct 2023.
My battery and drive unit warranty expire in Oct 2024.

With the latest policy changes I can only buy Premium (includes comprehensive and battery / drive unit) or battery/drive unit only.
If I want any coverage, I have to purchase by the end of the 2023.
  1. Is it correct that if I purchase coverage, lets say a 2 year premium policy in Oct of 2023, my remaining Tesla battery/drive warranty will overlap with the xcelerate warranty and I will be paying for 1 year of battery/drive unit coverage I cannot use?
  2. if so, is there any discount available so I don't have to pay twice for the same coverage?

thx

Reactions: XCare EV
I have a question as coverage is still not clear for my situation.

I have a 2016 Model S.
My used vehicle limited warranty expires in Oct 2023.
My battery and drive unit warranty expire in Oct 2024.

With the latest policy changes I can only buy Premium (includes comprehensive and battery / drive unit) or battery/drive unit only.
If I want any coverage, I have to purchase by the end of the 2023.
  1. Is it correct that if I purchase coverage, lets say a 2 year premium policy in Oct of 2023, my remaining Tesla battery/drive warranty will overlap with the xcelerate warranty and I will be paying for 1 year of battery/drive unit coverage I cannot use?
  2. if so, is there any discount available so I don't have to pay twice for the same coverage?

thx
Battery is only available (whether in Premium or as a stand alone option) to vehicles that still have one year or more of factory coverage remaining on those components, which is why this year 2016s and newer are the only eligible model years. Coverage starts at the end of Tesla's coverage, and the policies are priced with a view toward remaining factory coverage. Also, keep in mind that our coverage has a 30 day wait period before it starts, so be sure to book your XCare at least 30 days before your Tesla coverage expires. Your coverage extends from that date forward.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Im confused...lol I plug in my wife's 2023 M3 and the longest warranty is 4 years and 125K miles...

Is this really meant to only extend the bumper to bumper warranty miles?
How much cheaper would it be if we dropped the extra 5K miles on the drive unit and battery?

Thanks

edit: if I choose only battery and drive coverage, I get some better looking numbers/ terms with milage up to 175K. Would I have to buy 2 separate packages to extend both beyond what I asked about above?

Thanks again

Im confused...lol I plug in my wife's 2023 M3 and the longest warranty is 4 years and 125K miles...

How much cheaper would it be if we dropped the extra 5K miles on the drive unit and battery?

Thanks

edit: if I choose only battery and drive coverage, I get some better looking numbers/ terms with milage up to 175K. Would I have to buy 2 separate packages to extend both beyond what I asked about above?

Thanks again
You can get up to 10 years and 175k miles coverage with XCare Premium. Check this out: EV Extended Warranty - xcelerateauto.com

Reactions: Alset2

Thanks

Thanks again
...or we can just chat and go over the details. 630-849-4233

Reactions: Alset2
I'm looking at a 2016 model s. HV and drive unit hasn't been replaced and it is still under warranty for next year. If HV or drive unit needs replacement within the next year, Tesla will cover it. After that, XCare covers it, right?

I've read Tesla may replace it with a refurbished battery not with a new one. What happens to my Xcare warranty? Will my policy cover that refurbished battery moving forward? Or will I have to purchase a new warranty policy? I plan to get the 4 year warranty.

Thanks.

I'm looking at a 2016 model s. HV and drive unit hasn't been replaced and it is still under warranty for next year. If HV or drive unit needs replacement within the next year, Tesla will cover it. After that, XCare covers it, right?

I've read Tesla may replace it with a refurbished battery not with a new one. What happens to my Xcare warranty? Will my policy cover that refurbished battery moving forward? Or will I have to purchase a new warranty policy? I plan to get the 4 year warranty.

Thanks.

If you have the coverage, then yes, you will be able to use it once your factory warranty is complete.

Yes, that will not impact the coverage. What type of part Tesla decides to use to replace your Battery and/or drive unit is a decision that Tesla will make. XCare has no control over the decision making by Tesla.

@XCare EV:

1.) When I tried the XCare cost calculator...I saw that if I want the longest battery/DU coverage term, I will need to buy the Battery/DU-only plan, not the Premium plan, as the maximum length can be different depending on plan type. There isn't a way to separately select coverage lengths of the battery/DU stuff and non-battery/DU stuff, nor a way to select 'everything at max'.

2.) Why are 2016s and 2017s only able to select up to 9 years of battery/DU coverage while 2018s and newer can select 10 years?

Thanks!

@XCare EV:

1.) When I tried the XCare cost calculator...I saw that if I want the longest battery/DU coverage term, I will need to buy the Battery/DU-only plan, not the Premium plan, as the maximum length can be different depending on plan type. There isn't a way to separately select coverage lengths of the battery/DU stuff and non-battery/DU stuff, nor a way to select 'everything at max'.

2.) Why are 2016s and 2017s only able to select up to 9 years of battery/DU coverage while 2018s and newer can select 10 years?

Thanks!

Happy to help!

1.) The Battery & Drive Unit standalone plans are longer than the Premium options. The older the vehicle, the shorter the terms typically since there is a cap in total age that we are looking to cover. The terms that are shown can differ based on your inputs of odometer, how many miles you drive per year, etc. If you are looking for longer terms that may not be showing, feel free to ask for a custom quote so someone on our team can help you with your use case - https://www.xcelerateauto.com/custom-quote/new

2.) Similar thinking here - there is a max amount of time/age that we cover. The plans are currently structured to go ~7-8 years past the battery factory warranty. for a 2016, 9 years will take you 8 years past factory battery warranty (since you have 1 year left within the battery warranty).

We really focused designing the Battery & Drive unit standalone option to be for owners who are bit a closer to the end of their battery warranty and know they want to keep it for several more years.

Do you have a list of what's excluded? Are headlights included?
Here is a link to our contract online for review. We have the identical exclusions as the Tesla ESA, after which we modeled XCare.

Headlights are covered with XCare on Teslas, as Tesla builds them as one contiguous unit that is not able to be serviced.

Pre-existing conditions are also not covered. A pre-existing condition is one that can be reasonably deduced to have been in existence prior to the contract signing or to have occurred during the 30 day waiting period.

Happy to help!

1.) The Battery & Drive Unit standalone plans are longer than the Premium options. The older the vehicle, the shorter the terms typically since there is a cap in total age that we are looking to cover. The terms that are shown can differ based on your inputs of odometer, how many miles you drive per year, etc. If you are looking for longer terms that may not be showing, feel free to ask for a custom quote so someone on our team can help you with your use case - https://www.xcelerateauto.com/custom-quote/new

2.) Similar thinking here - there is a max amount of time/age that we cover. The plans are currently structured to go ~7-8 years past the battery factory warranty. for a 2016, 9 years will take you 8 years past factory battery warranty (since you have 1 year left within the battery warranty).

We really focused designing the Battery & Drive unit standalone option to be for owners who are bit a closer to the end of their battery warranty and know they want to keep it for several more years.
So if I want to maximize my battery coverage, when is the optimum time to purchase coverage, using my 2019 model as an example?

Will it be possible to buy the service and battery/drive unit warranties separately, so to maximum battery/drivetrain coverage and still get service warranty, albeit for a shorter time?

Thanks as always for your responsiveness on this forum!

So if I want to maximize my battery coverage, when is the optimum time to purchase coverage, using my 2019 model as an example?

Will it be possible to buy the service and battery/drive unit warranties separately, so to maximum battery/drivetrain coverage and still get service warranty, albeit for a shorter time?

Thanks as always for your responsiveness on this forum!
Of course you can buy them separately, but that might cost more money. We want to be able to provide the highest amount value while making sure you spend the least amount dollars to get you there.

How many miles you drive a year, your current odometer, and when your factory warranty expires are VERY important factors to understand if time or miles is more of the focus. I HIGHLY recommend getting in contact with someone on our team so we can look at all your facts, be objective, and tell you what makes the most sense.

I tried purchasing the warranty and I got this message. I live in CA. I tried calling the number during business hours and it went to a voicemail box that is full. Not off to a good start to say the least. Almost feels like a sign from above to not sign up for this extended warranty. haha

Anyways, can you help? @XCare EV

Let's keep talking.​

It looks like because of the state you live in, someone from the Xcelerate team will need to contact you to discuss your options to complete your request.

(800) 655-3509
[email protected]
M-F: 9AM - 6PM
Sat: 10AM - 2PM

I tried purchasing the warranty and I got this message. I live in CA. I tried calling the number during business hours and it went to a voicemail box that is full. Not off to a good start to say the least. Almost feels like a sign from above to not sign up for this extended warranty. haha

Anyways, can you help? @XCare EV

Let's keep talking.​

It looks like because of the state you live in, someone from the Xcelerate team will need to contact you to discuss your options to complete your request.

(800) 655-3509
[email protected]
M-F: 9AM - 6PM
Sat: 10AM - 2PM

Our mailbox was temporarily full, but we have since corrected the issue. You can try reaching back out or simply emailing [email protected] so we can assist directly. We have been getting quite a bit of customer interest in XCare with Battery & Drive unit coverage now being available :)

In case of an overlapping coverage period, has XCare considered making the plans seamlessly start upon the expiration of the factory warranty? The plan could then run a fixed exact number of purchased number of years or miles afterwards, instead of starting at the purchase date/mileage. [Ideally the plan would start immediately after the factory coverage ended, or at the purchase date (if the factory coverage had already ended but the vehicle was otherwise still eligible for coverage).]

(This isn't a request to change the basic age/miles qualification requirements to purchase the plan; this is only discussing how/when the plan goes into effect.) There are several different mileage length limits amongst the original Tesla battery and drive train warranties. Some run longer than 100k miles. Even with the smallest 100k mile factory coverage, there is still a wasteful overlapping period if the plan is bought much before the factory warranty runs out.

In case of an overlapping coverage period, has XCare considered making the plans seamlessly start upon the expiration of the factory warranty? The plan could then run a fixed exact number of purchased number of years or miles afterwards, instead of starting at the purchase date/mileage. [Ideally the plan would start immediately after the factory coverage ended, or at the purchase date (if the factory coverage had already ended but the vehicle was otherwise still eligible for coverage).]

(This isn't a request to change the basic age/miles qualification requirements to purchase the plan; this is only discussing how/when the plan goes into effect.) There are several different mileage length limits amongst the original Tesla battery and drive train warranties. Some run longer than 100k miles. Even with the smallest 100k mile factory coverage, there is still a wasteful overlapping period if the plan is bought much before the factory warranty runs out.
Thanks for the input, and happy to clarify! All XCare plans are priced with a view toward remaining factory warranty, so there is no real overlap from a pricing perspective. Our model is designed to be utilized by people of all assistance types, from those that want to transact on the phone to those who wish the experience to be mostly or entirely online, and sadly most folks don't know there warranty limits, dates etc. To be more granular would be cool, but regretably wouldn't scale well. Have a great weekend!

The XCare website (EV Extended Warranty | Xcelerate Auto - xcelerateauto.com ) says this about the premium plan:

"Works around Tesla Service
Accepted by Electrified Garage
Accepted by any ASE licensed mechanic"

Is it possible to get needed service done by @wk057 (057 Technology ) in NC under either XCare plan (premium or battery/drive unit)? He has a great reputation on this forum, and is truly a Tesla subject matter expert. Some owners may even prefer going through him. Similar question about @Recell (Recell ) in TX. These two have good reputations for service on this forum.

The XCare website (EV Extended Warranty | Xcelerate Auto - xcelerateauto.com ) says this about the premium plan:

"Works around Tesla Service
Accepted by Electrified Garage
Accepted by any ASE licensed mechanic"

Is it possible to get needed service done by @wk057 (057 Technology ) in NC under either XCare plan (premium or battery/drive unit)? He has a great reputation on this forum, and is truly a Tesla subject matter expert. Some owners may even prefer going through him. Similar question about @Recell (Recell ) in TX. These two have good reputations for service on this forum.
Great question, and happy to help! As of now we work with Tesla service to provide warranty work for our members, but we are definitely open to other sources of quality support. Thanks for the suggestion! XCare