Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xenon HID upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow!!!!!!!! They look fantastic. They are Xenon's correct?

Correct, actually they're Bi-Xenons as the projector has a high beam function as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Dennis,

If you think these guys would be interested in a group buy, we're all ears!

10 people = 15% off
15 people = 20% off
20 people = 25% off

The kit itself retails at $300 with a five-year warranty directly through us.

Andrew

Correct, actually they're Bi-Xenons as the projector has a high beam function as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Dennis,

If you think these guys would be interested in a group buy, we're all ears!

10 people = 15% off
15 people = 20% off
20 people = 25% off

The kit itself retails at $300 with a five-year warranty directly through us.

Andrew

Andrew,
I'm new to the Tesla Roadster scene, but may be interested in getting a kit so I took a look at your (very informative) website. What does the kit include, and how much modofication would I need to do to the existing housings for the projectors?

Here's where I mounted my Ballasts and the heat sinks for the The Headlight Retrofit Source Kit. Removed the front condenser / fan shroud, on the driver's side I mounted the Ballasts atop of the ABS mount on the driver's side, double sided taped and gravity pushing down on the tape. On the passenger's side I piggy backed off the top of another electrical module. If anyone knows what this is let me know. Double sided taped it, made sure gravity was pushing down on the tape and not pulling the ballasts away from the tape. I did throw a large zip tie around it as a precaution. I placed the mini heat sinks that were part of the kit inside the inner fender but affixed to the Carbon Fiber inner bumper/crash box, again double sided taped. It was a vertical mount but the inner fender pushes against lightly against the heat sink against the CF inner bumper/crash box.

IMAG0166.jpg
IMAG0167.jpg
IMAG0168.jpg
IMAG0169.jpg
IMAG0175.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0171.jpg
    IMAG0171.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Wiztecy, i'm surprised you didn't have this done sooner. Hwy 17 can get quite dark at night...

No Doubt :) Especially in the rain, can't see a darn thing with those stock Halogens.

For Highway 17 all three mods are essential:

1) CarboTech AX6 Brake Pads
2) HID Lights
3) Adjustable Suspension and modified alignment

Andrew,
I'm new to the Tesla Roadster scene, but may be interested in getting a kit so I took a look at your (very informative) website. What does the kit include, and how much modofication would I need to do to the existing housings for the projectors?

Fluke, you'll get a faster reply by calling or emailing Andrew directly, his email is:
andrew(at)theretrofitsource.com

If you have Andrew do the projector installation inside of the stock light assemblies, all you need to do is install them and mount the ballasts as I pictured above. You may find a more clever way as well. If you buy just the kit you'll have to split the clear lens from the light assembly and mount / install the projector yourself. Splitting the lens can be done but I felt like I could crack or damage it it so I passed on that step.

Wow...

I did the DDM Tuning upgrade this weekend and I have three words to say...

Just do it!

It is so much better than stock it is ridiculous.

One thing I may have missed in the thread but wanted to pass on - my right bulb seemed dimmer than my left, so I tried to rotate it to another position (you have 3 choices). It was then that I noticed that one of the tabs on the bulb is smaller than the other two and is designed to go into a certain slot. When placed in that slot the right bulb was then as bright as the left. Watch for this on your install!

If anyone would like theirs retro-fitted or to purchase the kit and install them inside their headlight assemblies themselves let me know. I'll forward the intrests on. Also if you need any headlights retrofitted to HID I highly recommend these guys, they're pros and you'll be pleased I'm sure with the end product
So my right low beam bulb is out. Had been following this thread for some time. I am soooooooooooo not the DIY guy. Any recommendations on places in LA/Valley that would do this OR any of you in that area who love DIY and want to practice on my car? Either financial compensation or a Tommy's run would be in your future! :rolleyes:

After discussing the install process with Andrew (thanks wiztecy), I decided to go with the kit and do the installation myself. I also went with the recommendation to try and match the highbeam bulb a little closer to the HID projector color. My area is fairly rural - its always better to see those deer before you are right on them so these should help.

...One thing I may have missed in the thread but wanted to pass on - my right bulb seemed dimmer than my left, so I tried to rotate it to another position (you have 3 choices). It was then that I noticed that one of the tabs on the bulb is smaller than the other two and is designed to go into a certain slot. When placed in that slot the right bulb was then as bright as the left. Watch for this on your install!

The other thing to watch for is the O-ring. My kit came with 2 O-rings for each bulb; a large red one installed on the bulbs, and a thinner black one. You want to use the thinner one. Using the thick one won't allow the bulb to seat all the way in the housing. That will cause lots of headaches that I've seen others have to deal with in this thread like the projectors not focusing properly, the bulbs not aimed properly, having to back off the 3 screws in order to insert the bulb, etc.

Here's a good picture / points from user Cinergi of how the stock halogen projector doesn't disperse the light evenly vs. swapping out the projector for a real HID one:

Xenon HID upgrade - Page 5

View attachment 33109

While I am certain that the full HID replacement with projectors is a better solution, I just want to chime in that I would bet much of Cinergi's issues are alignment (and possibly the o-ring and bulb rotation issues noted above).

I am ecstatic with the DDMTuning upgrade and, once I aligned the headlights, have a very uniform pattern with a sharp cutoff for $50 and a couple hours of my time. The lights are so good that I don't even use my high-beams anymore (yet I have only had one oncoming car flash me).

If you haven't yet...do one of these upgrades! You will be amazed at how bad the stock headlights were!

The other thing to watch for is the O-ring. My kit came with 2 O-rings for each bulb; a large red one installed on the bulbs, and a thinner black one. You want to use the thinner one. Using the thick one won't allow the bulb to seat all the way in the housing. That will cause lots of headaches that I've seen others have to deal with in this thread like the projectors not focusing properly, the bulbs not aimed properly, having to back off the 3 screws in order to insert the bulb, etc.

OMG I wish I knew this!

While I am certain that the full HID replacement with projectors is a better solution, I just want to chime in that I would bet much of Cinergi's issues are alignment (and possibly the o-ring and bulb rotation issues noted above).
I can confirm that I had some of the same problems before switching to the correct o-ring. Now I don't have the unfocussed blotchy problems.

But I agree that the full HID-matched-projector solution Wiztecy is promoting is probably better. I'm also not so crazy about DDM Tuning because I've had a couple of parts fail and although they guarantee everything, it's a pain to take everything out and test it and return it.

View attachment 33109

I am ecstatic with the DDMTuning upgrade and, once I aligned the headlights, have a very uniform pattern with a sharp cutoff for $50 and a couple hours of my time. The lights are so good that I don't even use my high-beams anymore (yet I have only had one oncoming car flash me).

If you haven't yet...do one of these upgrades! You will be amazed at how bad the stock headlights were!

Got mine installed at Dietsch works yesterday, and took them for a spin last night. Overall, they look amazing! I have a little of what Cinergi had right at the base of the car, but it looks worse in pictures than it is actually. The cutoff line is very sharp, and the different is night and day.

IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG

That last picture really looks patchy, unless that's just me. The light Does not appeared to be spread out evenly. Still the halogen projector right? The 1st pic is low and 2nd high? It really looks like the intensity is hard focused up front with little to the sides, with the HID projectors its evenly displayed across the front and very pronounced across the sides in a wide angle.

Are you sure these won't annoy anyone? I've seen honda civics with the HID upgrades in the halogen projectors and they're way to intense in the wrong places. Possibly someone can drive towards/behind the HID bulb/halogen projector setup to make sure that's not the case.

Last edited:
That last picture really looks patchy, unless that's just me. The light Does not appeared to be spread out evenly. Still the halogen projector right? The 1st pic is low and 2nd high? It really looks like the intensity is hard focused up front with little to the sides, with the HID projectors its evenly displayed across the front and very pronounced across the sides in a wide angle.

It looks more patchy in the pictures than it does in person, in my opinion. There is not denying that it is there though. Because I can actually see at night, and feel 100% more comfortable driving, i'm not sure if I would want to spend another $300 for the kit and then pay for installation.

Are you sure these won't annoy anyone? I've seen honda civics with the HID upgrades in the halogen projectors and they're way to intense in the wrong places. Possibly someone can drive towards/behind the HID bulb/halogen projector setup to make sure that's not the case.

This i'm unsure of. It has a nice clean cut line and Rob adjusted them so theoretically they should be fine. I would love to compare and see the difference and do some tests. If they are going to be annoying to other drivers, I would be willing to pay to buy the kit you got.

It looks more patchy in the pictures than it does in person, in my opinion. There is not denying that it is there though. Because I can actually see at night, and feel 100% more comfortable driving, i'm not sure if I would want to spend another $300 for the kit and then pay for installation.

This i'm unsure of. It has a nice clean cut line and Rob adjusted them so theoretically they should be fine. I would love to compare and see the difference and do some tests. If they are going to be annoying to other drivers, I would be willing to pay to buy the kit you got.

If aligned properly (and I'm fairly certain Rob did a better job than I did on my alignment) you won't bother anyone. I have had mine for a couple weeks and I drive 2 lane highways every night - one person has flashed brights out of hundreds and even my wife thought they were fine when I had her drive toward me.

I'm sure the full upgrade is better, but I'm not sure it makes a 'real-world' difference.