Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xenon HID upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Msjulie, just went through a very long process of deciding what to do myself re HID...

I agree with what wiztecy stated re projectors for the absolute best results.
However, I just installed Morimoto XB-35W from TRS into my roadster with stock projectors and was extremely pleased with the light output and beam spread. Deer are a significant collision issue here in NJ and the stock halogen side illumination was just dangerous. The HID upgrade made a huge difference.
HID ignition with the Morimoto is very quick also.

This thread has been of enormous help during the process, and a piece of many member's posts have factored into my installation.
Not enough thanks to give to all.
A few comments that you or someone may find useful.

1. I initially thought about high output halogens... looking at the lumens , they still fall far behind and I was worried about the
increase in heat output. If you want a 10-20% quick upgrade, swap out your bulbs if they are over 5 years old (halogens degrade
due to poor quality redeposition of the filament over time). I did initially. It helped a tiny bit, but those deer were still difficult to see..

2. I went with Morimoto. The newer XB 's are really well built, and a great deal for the money. More expensive than most, but
I feel it was worth it. Still a lot cheaper than going with an Osram etc. ballast. I believe (but could be wrong) , that TRS utilized Morimoto's in wiztecy's projector build. 35W was plenty, again worried about heat with 55W (although original bulb was 60W.

3. You need CANBUS adapter. I tried running it without and received low beam bulb error.

4. Someone in this thread (thank you!) had a great idea about tucking the ballast (non Morimoto) under/ to the side of the front fan shroud by the headlight pod. It was a PERFECT spot. I just added a small immobilizer so no mechanical movement and it was easy to find a spot for the ignitor and the CANBUS adapter also. I can post a picture. Not sure if heat will be an issue, I don't believe it will, we'll see.

5. No need to back out adjusting screws due to an oversized o-ring. The bulb fit perfectly.

6. I was about to pull the wheel for the HID install but noticed if you just jack the car from the rear jack location, there is enough front suspension travel to easily perform the entire job without taking the wheel off. The front wheel was still on the ground. Jacking (hockey puck on low profile jack) gave about 3-4 more inches. You should use jack stands for ultimate safety. Of course, always be sure to jack at posted jacking points. Earlier, I replaced the stock hologen low beams without any jack, a little tight but it can be done especially in a tight pinch if you blow a bulb. I'm 6' and was still able to squeeze in there.

7. Watch your connection from the ignitor to the bulb. Match black wire to black. Don't rely on the connector, it is possible to connect and reverse polarity by accident.

Just do the HID upgrade if you drive at night, you will not regret it.
Now if only the brakes were good enough to stop for the deer I can now see...

Apologies, to revive this. Just thought I would do a follow up.

I was extremely happy with my Morimoto upgrade, but my headlight started to peel (ugh) and I had the Tesla HID upgrade installed. Just thought I would post the takeaways.

On a scale of 1-10 towards perfection (where 10 is the best HID system I have driven with adaptive headlights etc);

Stock Tesla halogen: if a candle is 1, then these are 2. DANGEROUS.

Morimoto 35W HID upgrade: 6 awesome improvement. By far a huge improvement for the money. A no-brainer. Just do it.

Tesla HID: I give it an 8

So what is the win with the Tesla HID vs aftermarket upgrade like Morimoto (unless you have projectors changed like Wiztecy:

1. pattern is a little smoother, but I don't really care
2. brightness is not any better, upper cutoff point is about the same
3. slightly faster startup by about 2 seconds. i don't care
4. the most important improvement is the much better projection in the 1-2 o'clock position (forward right quadrant), just where the deer sit. This made it worth the money. Awesome.
5. One nice thing is that the black border on the new headlights really look much better than the previous headlights. Especially against radiant red.

#4 was really the best part. However, the morimoto's was really such a huge change, at least do these or some other HID upgrade that others have posted. It should be your #1 priority if you have a roadster and live outside a well lit city.

As with any headlight upgrade done properly, you need to also upgrade the headlight projectors to accompany the bulb technology change. The projectors were designed to work with a particular technology, you end up compromising the focus and distance of the light coverage ...

It's not the bulb technology that matters as much as it is the geometry. Unlike other replacements at the time (circa 2014), the DDM HIDs had very similar light source location relative to the socket, so the existing projectors work pretty well. This is a pretty long thread, so if you haven't seen it check out this post: Comparison of Stock, Tesla HID, DDMTuning DIY HID headlights, in which we used a light meter to measure output and has photos from a DSLR with locked settings so you really can compare stock to DDMs to Tesla HIDs.

I have the DDMs and for the price they can't be beat. The Tesla upgrade is better mostly to get HIDs for the high beams as well. While you can replace the high beams with HIDs, the startup time means they're useless on any stretch where cars come the other direction frequently or you want to flash. For me, paying 50X the DDM cost wasn't worth it. BTW, if you're ordering from DDM order an extra bulb/ballast set right at the beginning (ie, order 3), so that if something fails you can replace it right away while you send the bad thing back to DDM for its eventual free replacement.

BTW, if you're ordering from DDM order an extra bulb/ballast set right at the beginning (ie, order 3), so that if something fails you can replace it right away while you send the bad thing back to DDM for its eventual free replacement.
+1. I'm on my third failure from DDM. I had one bulb and one ballast go bad at separate times. I'm not sure what failed this time (haven't had time to diagnose). They replaced the first ballast under warranty but their customer service is terrible. The process they require for warranty replacement is so cumbersom that if your time is worth anything it's better to just pay for the replacement. Not to mention they ship everyghing from China so you end up running on one bulb for 3 weeks waiting for it to arrive.

Morimoto's (without upgrading the projectors like Wiztecy) were just slightly more than DDM and were reliable while I had them. Build quality seemed to be quite good. Not sure how much better they are in the long run, but could be another option. I was happy with them until the headlighrs peeled...again.

Does anyone have experience with LED drop-in replacements other than the DDM units? It seems like they could be as good or better than the very expensive HID upgrade from Tesla.
I am not aware of anyone posting in the Roadster forums on TMC about plugging LED bulbs into the stock headlamps. I think it unlikely that they would be satisfactory since the headlight reflectors and lenses were not designed for LEDs.

I have had the DDM 35w Xeon upgrade for over 3 years now with no issues. They were noticeably brighter than stock and I have been pleased. With a power draw of 35w there is little incentive for me to consider LED.
Also happy with the DDMs, although I have had both original ballasts go bad. I exchanged one under warranty and upgraded the 2nd to the newer Ultra ballast for $10. Will be interesting to see if the Ultra lasts longer than the exchanged one, but for $10 it wasn't a big deal.

The warranty replacement was a pain since I had to ship the original to them for testing, but the upgrade was easy as they just required me to send a pic of the original with the wires cut.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I took 2 pics with my cellphone of how the light is with halogen light

DSC_0009.JPG

Low beam

DSC_0010.JPG

High beam

I have bought 2 kit of diod lamps

to my headlights

more post will come when everythig is ready

I have 3d printed some parts to the swap of lamps
i must take care of the barlast to the diod lamps

IMGP7469.JPG

I bought this LED converting kits.

IMGP7470.JPG

One kit is for projector low beam HB3, the other is for H9 high beam

IMGP7471.JPG

LED lamps left high beam and right low beam LED lamp

IMGP7472.JPG

3d printer working with some parts

IMGP7473.JPG

Ready part

IMGP7474.JPG

The covers is made to fit the barlast

IMGP7475.JPG

Same part work for both types

IMGP7477.JPG

low beam halogen

IMGP7478.JPG

High beam halogen

IMGP7479.JPG

One low beam swaped

IMGP7480.JPG

there was some adjustments to get good light picture on low beam

IMGP7481.JPG

low beam in my garage with led light

IMGP7482.JPG

High beam

IMGP7483.JPG

low beam on same place as the first pics but taken with a system camera and i shaked it to.

IMGP7484.JPG

High beam taken with my camera
Can be difficult take pics her becase of lot of trafic
shall take some with my phone to on same place for see the diffrence on same conditions

Reactions: dhrivnak
Her's both before and after pics for my LED swap
All pics are taken with my cellphone on same place
on a moring
The led light is better, you kan see real diffrence in the light in the 5 lights in the side how much bader they are on the LED pics

DSC_0009.JPG

Low halogen

DSC_0018.JPG

Low led

DSC_0010.JPG

High halogen

DSC_0019.JPG

High LED

• Informative
Reactions: ion_1 and dhrivnak