Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xenon HID upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried setting up LEDs with resisters and it was a disaster. The resisters get so hot they burn anything touching or even very close that is not plastic.

You can try to use high temp glue but again when you put the cover back on and it is close - melting city.

I am going to try these on Amazon (high and low)

H11 LED Headlight Bulb, Aukee H8 H9 110W High Power 18,000LM Extremely Bright 6000K Cool White CSP Chips Conversion Kit Adjustable Beam

They apparently are 55W (just like halogen) and hopefully won't melt anything around them.

They are the most expensive LEDs of the lot and Amazon Choice FWIW. I'll report back Weds night.

Sucks as I spent 4 hours only to put it all back to LEDs and no resisters (with errors) till new lights arrive.

The current ones I had in there were SEALIGHT Scoparc S2 H11/H8/H9 LED Headlight Bulbs, H11 LED Low Beam/Fog Light, 1:1 Halogen Bulb Design, 6000K Bright White

High and Low are giving errors as they don't pull enough amps. The car actually defaults to high only when this happens.

I tried setting up LEDs with resisters and it was a disaster. The resisters get so hot they burn anything touching or even very close that is not plastic.

You can try to use high temp glue but again when you put the cover back on and it is close - melting city.

I am going to try these on Amazon (high and low)

H11 LED Headlight Bulb, Aukee H8 H9 110W High Power 18,000LM Extremely Bright 6000K Cool White CSP Chips Conversion Kit Adjustable Beam

They apparently are 55W (just like halogen) and hopefully won't melt anything around them.

They are the most expensive LEDs of the lot and Amazon Choice FWIW. I'll report back Weds night.

Sucks as I spent 4 hours only to put it all back to LEDs and no resisters (with errors) till new lights arrive.

The current ones I had in there were SEALIGHT Scoparc S2 H11/H8/H9 LED Headlight Bulbs, H11 LED Low Beam/Fog Light, 1:1 Halogen Bulb Design, 6000K Bright White

High and Low are giving errors as they don't pull enough amps. The car actually defaults to high only when this happens.

Yikes!

I feel responsible as I pointed to those Sealights as they looked like a newer version of the one I used (high beam only). :(

Where did you place the resistors? It looked like @tvuolo installed some without the same problems.

Shouldn't need resistors to fake the extra load. The ones I selected don't trigger any mis-diagnosis of failure.

Good to know I'm going to try these new ones as they're exactly rated 55 watts but if they don't work I'll return them and get yours for sure. I'm not thrilled with the ones I have in there now in terms of light output so I'm really hopeful these new ones will be superior.

Reactions: drewski and mpt
Like Matteni, I installed the SEALIGHT Scoparc S2 low beams today and also have the error messages, and the car has defaulted to high beams only. I ordered the resistors, so that will hopefully end of the problem.
Installation was very easy. I merely lifted the chassis of the car up a bit with a floor jack to give myself more space in the wheel well. During installation I connected everything together and pushed all the wiring and boxes that I could into the light can outboard side (lots of room in there) before seating the bulbs, which helped a lot. First one took about 15 minutes, and second one about five minutes excluding jack time. After installing the first light, I flipped the headlights on and was happy to see that the LED was much brighter than the Sylvania 60W bulb it was replacing.

Like Matteni, I installed the SEALIGHT Scoparc S2 low beams today and also have the error messages, and the car has defaulted to high beams only. I ordered the resistors, so that will hopefully end of the problem.
Installation was very easy. I merely lifted the chassis of the car up a bit with a floor jack to give myself more space in the wheel well. During installation I connected everything together and pushed all the wiring and boxes that I could into the light can outboard side (lots of room in there) before seating the bulbs, which helped a lot. First one took about 15 minutes, and second one about five minutes excluding jack time. After installing the first light, I flipped the headlights on and was happy to see that the LED was much brighter than the Sylvania 60W bulb it was replacing.
please do not install the resistors they get hotter than the surface of the sun and they will melt plastic all around them and melt the housing. Ask me how I know.

I return them and am installing much more powerful lights that have similar wattage as the original.

I will report back if they work next week.

Well - 2nd time is NOT a charm.

I tried these this time as they are supposedly close to original Watts.

They work for 15 mins or so and then give errors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V47VVL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shame as they have an innovative mounting system and were great with light.

I was going to try these but someone said they got errors with them while another says no errors.

SEALIGHT LED Headlight Bulbs High Beam X3

Another 3 hours wasted.

Last I'll try these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WD6G42D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

H11 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized 80W 16,000LM Per Pair, AUXITO H11/H8/H9 Headlight LED Bulb with Cooling Fan, 6500K White, Pack of 2

Supposedly they have a chip to eliminate errors?

Just afraid my car is persnickety or maybe I will go with X3's as a last resort and hope since at least one person had luck I will have luck too.

Tempted to put some halogens in to make sure it isn't something else going on.

Grrr...

At least Amazon will take them back and new ones arrive next day.

1st world problems.

Well - 2nd time is NOT a charm.

I tried these this time as they are supposedly close to original Watts.

They work for 15 mins or so and then give errors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V47VVL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shame as they have an innovative mounting system and were great with light.

I was going to try these but someone said they got errors with them while another says no errors.

SEALIGHT LED Headlight Bulbs High Beam X3

Another 3 hours wasted.

Last I'll try these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WD6G42D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

H11 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized 80W 16,000LM Per Pair, AUXITO H11/H8/H9 Headlight LED Bulb with Cooling Fan, 6500K White, Pack of 2

Supposedly they have a chip to eliminate errors?

Just afraid my car is persnickety or maybe I will go with X3's as a last resort and hope since at least one person had luck I will have luck too.

Tempted to put some halogens in to make sure it isn't something else going on.

Grrr...

At least Amazon will take them back and new ones arrive next day.

1st world problems.

More than one with the X3 with no issue.

I'm using the X3 (highs only) and those were @mpt original recco for both high & lows.

Though I don't know if I've run the Hi-beams for over 15 min in one go . . .

Reactions: Matteni
A couple quick questions...

I thought LED's were more efficient than halogens. Why are the LED's creating so much heat? I can't see why they would create more heat than halogens.

Also, because of all this heat, should we be leaving the rubber cap off the back to help in air circulation?

Thanks.

If these fail I'll try X3s for sure.

As for the question about the heat it's not that the lights generate any more heat it's when you have to add a resistor to bump up the power to trick the car.

I think the fans are built in to dissipate the heat and extend the life of the LEDs as they are more susceptible to heat related failures apparently than a filament type.

Reactions: drewski
Not that I want to muddy the waters anymore than they already are, but after getting check low beam alerts and car defaulting to high beams on two previous bulb sets (see above), I installed the SEALIGHT X3 9005 low beams and got the same error and high beam default. I guess I need to decide which of the three bulbs I want as low beams and install a resistor external to the light bucket cap to prevent overheating. That, or find some better halogen bulbs.
On the plus side, I was able to install both LEDs, then uninstall them and reinstall the halogen bulbs. Start to finish in 30 minutes without lifting up the car. I wish I wasn’t getting so good at this.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
If these fail I'll try X3s for sure.

As for the question about the heat it's not that the lights generate any more heat it's when you have to add a resistor to bump up the power to trick the car.

I think the fans are built in to dissipate the heat and extend the life of the LEDs as they are more susceptible to heat related failures apparently than a filament type.

The heat is also usually concentrated on the LEDs. With filament the heat is mainly in that region and radiating out, with LEDs it's usually directly on the back of the diode and that can be a very small but hot spot.

Steve or Matteni,

I've got some resistors that I originally bought to solve the "fast blinking" of the turn signals for another vehicle. They seem pretty robust with heat sinks on each resistor. If you want, we can experiment... I can send you the resistors and you give them a shot. If they work, we can work some trade for the LED's they you decide not to use... I'm not thrilled with the output of the ones I got.

OK - update Lights #3 = Fail. These immediate error =

9005 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Sized CanBus Ready 80W 16,000LM/Pair, AUXITO 9005 (HB3) Headlight LED Bulb Conversion Kit, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2

So far best are these as they have no errors for 15 mins:

9005 LED Headlight Bulbs, Aukee HB3 110W High Power 18,000LM Extremely Bright 6000K Cool White CSP Chips Conversion Kit Adjustable Beam

I was trying them again and when the dust cover is off they DO NOT ERROR!

Woot!!!!!!!!!!

The dust cover was right against the fan and I think the lack of air flow was causing heat and eventually it would error.

I tried without the cover and no errors.

I will install the covers on the high beems (not planning to run highs for more then 15 mins at a time) and no cover on lows (just the larger cover of course.

If this works I am very happy as they were the brightest and if you adjust the beam pattern for the projectors - by far the best.

I'll report back as I learn more.

Reactions: Gabner