Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xenon HID upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
high beam

Tillverkare Ledson
Levereras Par
För bilar med ljusövervakning Ja
Spänning 12-24 V
Funktion Dimljus, Extraljus, Halvljus, Helljus
E-märkning Nej
Ljuskälla LED
Diodtyp Cree XHP 50
Ljusflöde 5000 lumen / par
Längd ballast 59 mm
Bredd ballast 39 mm
Höjd Ballast 20 mm
Spänning 9-36 V
Upptändingstid, kall till full styrka Omedelbar
Upptändningstid, varm till full styrka Omedelbar
Garanti 36 Månader

Low beam

Tillverkare Ledson
Levereras Par
För bilar med ljusövervakning Ja
Spänning 9-32 V
Funktion Halvljus, Helljus
E-märkning Nej
Ljuskälla LED
Diodtyp Cree XHP 70
Ljusflöde 6000 lumen / par
Längd lampa 88 mm
Längd ballast 59 mm
Bredd ballast 39 mm
Höjd Ballast 20 mm
Spänning 9-36 V
Strömförbrukning 2,7 A - 1,35 A
Effektförbrukning 31,2 W
Upptändingstid, kall till full styrka Omedelbar
Upptändningstid, varm till full styrka Omedelbar
Garanti 24 Månader

Sorry the data is on Swedish but i Think it easy to guess what iwhat on the data sheets

high beam

Manufacturer Ledson
Delivered in Pairs
For cars with light monitoring?: Yes
Voltage 12-24 V
Function Fog lights, Extralight, Half-beam, Main beam
E-Labeling No.
Light source LED
Diode type Cree XHP 50
Light flow 5000 lumen / pair
Length of ballast 59 mm
Width of ballast 39 mm
Height Ballast 20 mm
Voltage 9-36 V
Start time, call to full strength Immediate
Warm-up time, warm to full force Immediate
Guarantee 36 Months

Low beam

Manufacturer Ledson
Delivered in Pairs
For cars with light monitoring?: Yes
Voltage 9-32 V
Function Halogen, Helljus
E-Labeling No.
Light source LED
Diode type Cree XHP 70
Light flow 6000 lumen / pair
Length of lamp 88 mm
Length of ballast 59 mm
Width of ballast 39 mm
Height Ballast 20 mm
Voltage 9-36 V
Power Consumption 2.7 A - 1.35 A
Power consumption 31.2 W
Start time, call to full strength Immediate
Warm-up time, warm to full force Immediate
Warranty 24 Months

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
That's quite impressive. 3000 lumens per bulb, low beam, is solidly in HID territory, much depends on how well the light is focused within the stock projectors but it seems quite excellent using the stock projectors based on your pictures,

Thanks for posting Stefan (and TEG for the translation) .. great project.

That's quite impressive. 3000 lumens per bulb, low beam, is solidly in HID territory, much depends on how well the light is focused within the stock projectors but it seems quite excellent using the stock projectors based on your pictures,

Thanks for posting Stefan (and TEG for the translation) .. great project.

The focus on low beam is realy good mutch better light picture than original but took the bulds maybe 10 times for low beam and adjusted them, and i think is it posible do adjustment better than i did
The high beam did i not adjust more than i rotated on of the lamps 180 degree becase of the cable hit somthing i the headlight

So I've been running the 55 watt 4500K DDM's for years now. I've been happy with the light output, even with retaining the stock high beams (and the color matching is close enough). I drive twisty mountain roads at night every day to get home.

But now my passenger side headlight is starting to peel - but not where any light shines through. It's ugly. So, do I now get the Tesla HID upgrade (if it's still available), or do I "polish" the headlights with one of those kits? I used a 3M kit on my '05 Honda Ridgeline which had started to haze (not yellow) and the results were great. I had also done the same on my '05 BMW X5, but the results weren't quite as good - maybe the plastic was softer or not as flat or something? How well do Roadster headlights respond to the polishing?

Yes, I realize that after polishing, there's just a synthetic wax on the plastic lens to protect against UV, so I expect they'll get cloudy again, but I can keep after it say twice a year to stave that off.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

So I've been running the 55 watt 4500K DDM's for years now. I've been happy with the light output, even with retaining the stock high beams (and the color matching is close enough). I drive twisty mountain roads at night every day to get home.

But now my passenger side headlight is starting to peel - but not where any light shines through. It's ugly. So, do I now get the Tesla HID upgrade (if it's still available), or do I "polish" the headlights with one of those kits? I used a 3M kit on my '05 Honda Ridgeline which had started to haze (not yellow) and the results were great. I had also done the same on my '05 BMW X5, but the results weren't quite as good - maybe the plastic was softer or not as flat or something? How well do Roadster headlights respond to the polishing?

Yes, I realize that after polishing, there's just a synthetic wax on the plastic lens to protect against UV, so I expect they'll get cloudy again, but I can keep after it say twice a year to stave that off.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
I waited (about a year) until most of the film had peeled before I polished them. By that time the unprotected headlights had developed a haze. I polished using one of the kits and have been happy with the results (so far).

But now my passenger side headlight is starting to peel -

Was in the same position about 6 months ago. My aftermarket Morimoto HIDs were really great but one of my headlights started to peel. I reluctantly purchased the $$ OEM Xenon upgrade from Tesla. Although I was very happy with the aftermarket , the OEM's were clearly a step up and surprisingly looked better on the car. Really pleased with them.

Other option is to polish as other have done such as @thefortunes in the post above. Also, there are a number of stock headlights that pop up on ebay for about $200, you may want to go that route to replace your peeled one with a used one in good condition and immediately cover it with clear film to help prevent subsequent peeling.

• Informative
Did I miss the model number / part number for the LED kit, I'm in I think - it totally solves the slow high beam warm up that I have.

If so, I missed it too. There are now a ton of options on Amazon. For instance for the lows(HB3): https://www.amazon.com/H11-Headlight-Conversion-Approved-SEALIGHT/dp/B07G9WTHTN and for the high (HB9): https://www.amazon.com/H11-Headlight-Conversion-Approved-SEALIGHT/dp/B079KB7QX3 . The latter are on sale today for $24.

But I don't know about fitment and projector location, etc.

Well, so my lights were peeling. Then, my DDMs were giving up the ghost. I probably needed to replace the ballasts as both lights were getting dimmer. Tesla was able to dig up a pair of the HID upgrade headlights for me (just in time as the day I brought the car in the right one went completely out).

So, I won't be trying the LED upgrades. At any rate, my DDM days are over.

Hello, it's time for me to replace my low beam headlights. Anyone with recent experience with any LED replacements lately? Any hints on how/where to mount ballasts if necessary? The LEDSON solution from Stefan looks great, but I can't find the model number I don't have easy access to a 3D printer.

Hello, it's time for me to replace my low beam headlights. Anyone with recent experience with any LED replacements lately? Any hints on how/where to mount ballasts if necessary? The LEDSON solution from Stefan looks great, but I can't find the model number I don't have easy access to a 3D printer.

I'm still planning to do this eventually as well, so would be really interested in your experience both in terms of difficulty as well as performance after the LED upgrade. Photos of the project would be doubly helpful!

Hello,

I've now replaced my headlights with the DDM 50W Saber solution as recommended by their support team. I ordered the headlight decoders and found that I did not need them. You can buy them from DDM directly or through Amazon. I ordered through DDM since I thought I might need the decoders and it took a while to get to me from China. I think the Amazon ones are in stock and are the same price. The change out was straight forward. I luckily found someone who mentioned that cranking the wheels all the way left or right gives enough room to get to the panel covering the rear of the lights (I didn't have to remove the front wheel).

The new bulbs have a little lump in the line (electronics for power conversion I assume) which can be stuffed into the headlight cavity. I left the rear caps off when closing everything up so that airflow from the fans mounted on the back of the bulbs were not restricted.

The previous bulbs were the DDM HID 55W solution. I find that the brightness is ever so slightly better, but cannot comment on a comparison with the stock bulbs.

Included are a couple of miscellaneous photos. If I were more careful, I would have documented a bit better. The final picture just shows the light plugged in and dangling as a test before I've inserted it into the socket.

Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_20190415_184420.jpg
    IMG_20190415_184420.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20190415_184554.jpg
    IMG_20190415_184554.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20190415_191417.jpg
    IMG_20190415_191417.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20190415_192014.jpg