TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Xenon lights: water / damp inside

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by m0rph, Dec 16, 2014.

1. m0rph

m0rph Member

Hi,

Can anyone say if it's normal to see water/damp in the Xenon lights every time I drive through rain or even just cold weather?

15416272483_1dce922427_b.jpg

16033969581_c14ccc42d1_b.jpg

15848654000_147f473a76_b.jpg

2. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

My stock enclosures did this until I got the patch from Tesla. The problem has come back recently, but I believe the patch may have been removed by the third party shop that installed my HIDs and I just didn't notice until the recent rains.

3. augkuo

augkuo Member

4. strider

strider Active Member

I have factory HIDs and I see this when it rains. Goes away quickly though.

5. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Its purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the performance of the lights. I haven't had any bulbs burn out either. On a side note, you really need to wash your car!

6. m0rph

m0rph Member

In my case, it's that bad that it does affect the performance of the lights. It sometimes feels like driving with no lights on tbh.. I booked it in for Jan 5th, with a whole list of minor issues.

7. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

I agree with m0rph, it will scatter the light more if the moisture goes far enough down the enclosure. The patch was a free service Tesla provided me and only took about an hour.

8. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I've only have seen the corners fog up. After the lights have fired up the heat from the light drys them out. Its only temporary for that night. Issue is when you turn them off they'll fog back up.

If the fog does consume a wider area, correct it will diffuse / scatter the light.

"The Patch" name makes the Roadster sound as if it has a serious nicotine addiction :)

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have a Roadster addiction. Much prefer driving it over the S.

My headlights don't fog up, even the past month where we have had over 12 inches of rain. I do not have the factory Xenons, just DDM Xenon low beams.

10. Vip

Vip Member

I just noticed it the other day. Was wondering if I needed to take it in. Will keep an eye on it but nice to know that there is a fix for it.

11. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

My headlights fogged when the car was new (2011) but I reported it to Service and they said "We have a fix for that." I don't know what they did (probably the patch) but they've never fogged again.

12. m0rph

m0rph Member

The SeC told me the patches are for the non-Xenon headlights, as Xenons have 2 patches by default. But they proposed to add 2 more. Unfortunately, that didn't help one bit. Now, with only a few months of warranty left, I wonder if I need to push for new ones..

13. m0rph

m0rph Member

My Xenons will now be replaced under warranty. I must say, the support I'm getting from Tesla comes from another planet if I compare it with BMW! My past experiences were so bad, that today, I am already impressed by a manufacturer that acts correctly. Sick :)