Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM enable (without Sound Studio)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried to get the XM feature turned on after purchase WIHTOUT the Sound Studio package?

I deliberately avoided the Sound Studio bundle because I knew I'd be adding a much higher quality after market amp, speakers and sub... but it hadn't occurred to me the XM radio module was all built in the computer unit, so there's no way to "add" XM like you would on after market stereo head unit (with the receiver module)...

If no one has tried - I will prod customer service and see what kind of response I get :wink:

thx! Rob

I can't directly answer, but I seem to recall the lack of the upgrade meant there was no xm antenna installed either.

You should be able to find out yourself. The antennas are on the back hatch. I think it was am/fm on the left and fm/xm on the right? Read about it from someone else, so you will need to verify. Extra info, the 3G antennas are in the mirrors.

the issue here is you will either need to hack the firmware to turn it on (if installed) or will need to have the service center do it for you. I don't think anyone has made any headway into breaking into their software (publicly) the last I heard was someone hacked the car through their wireless signal, and was able to get some serious access, but doubt that code/exploit was made public.

I am in no way suggesting someone do something malicious or illegal, this is merely coming from a scientific/educational standpoint.