Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM/FM Radio with MCU 2 Upgrade

bigdaddie

Jan 3, 2017
Chowchilla, CA
It's been about a month since I scheduled the MCU2 plus radio upgrade for our 2017 S. The original appointment was last week - which Tesla rescheduled because they didn't have the tuner. They're still waiting for the tuner.
Bob,
It's well worth the wait. But as Tesla owners, we want our stuff yesterday!

Another benefit is the 5GHz wifi. My MCU 1 would always disconnect from wifi and sometimes wouldn't even see the access point (about 10ft away). The dashcam/sentry viewer is pretty cool too.

TTT

Jul 10, 2014
San Diego
Bob,
It's well worth the wait. But as Tesla owners, we want our stuff yesterday!

Another benefit is the 5GHz wifi. My MCU 1 would always disconnect from wifi and sometimes wouldn't even see the access point (about 10ft away). The dashcam/sentry viewer is pretty cool too.
Got my MCU2 and FM/XM radio upgrade done on 11/19. All that I can say is WOW, what a difference. Was it worth the $3k price tag? I guess it depends on your financial situation. I don't have $$ coming out my ass, but I can afford it and pay my CC of in 2-3 months. So for me, I would say a resounding YES. The web browser is usable and the display overall is very fast. One thing that I really didn't think about was the Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and such. I figured without the upgrade I would just watch this stuff on my tablet, no big deal right? No, it is. Netflix combined with the Premium sound system is amazing!

It turns out that my MCU1 had issues. It wouldn't even complete the techs diagnostic tests. The web browser would not load anything. It took like 20 sec to change radio stations. Navigation loading was very slow. Sometimes just completely unresponsive. I'll pimp Tesla and see if they'll rebate some of the costs but I'm not holding my breath. The SC did document the problems.

So, I say do the upgrade. The $$ only hurts for awhile and you will have an interface that will bring a smile to your face.
just got my MCU2 upgrade with FM, but I can’t find the FM radio tuner. Did they forget a software update?

solardudesf

Jul 24, 2019
San Francisco, CA
Hope I am asking in the correct place. I do not mean to take over the thread. Just purchased a 2018 MS and it came with the Infotainment Upgrade (meaning it had MCU2). When I spoke with the Tesla sales rep, I was told if I want the radio (FM/HD/XM) to work I would have to pay for the radio upgrade (for $500). My question for you all is if the radio upgrade has not been done, what do you expect to see? How would the UI present itself? Will the software just not show the radio button or the XM button anymore? Would the buttons exist but the radio just not function correctly? It seems that in my car, the radio button is there and it works, but the connection is a bit static-y (would the radio upgrade just provide a better antenna?). The XM button is also there and I can see the XM radio id displayed. I am guessing that the radio upgrade was already done in this car and the Tesla salesperson did not know that?

Art_Vandelay

Attractive Membrane
Jun 12, 2016
Elon’s left eyebrow
the radio button is there and it works, but the connection is a bit static-y (would the radio upgrade just provide a better antenna?). The XM button is also there and I can see the XM radio id displayed.
Hi @solardudesf

All Model S and Model X vehicles built from March 2018 onwards had the MCU2 (and radio) from the factory. You can look at the sticker on the lower section of the driver side door for your car's build month and year, maybe your Model S had the MCU2 all along and was not updated.

If it did went through the Infotainment Upgrade, the fact that you can see the "Radio" and "XM" buttons on your car's MCU, means the previous owner did get the radio upgrade as well. I got the Infotainment Upgrade on my 2017 Model S and then got the radio upgrade a few months later. During that time, I didn't have the Radio or XM icons on my screen nor could I see them on the sources toggle list on the audio settings.

solardudesf

Jul 24, 2019
San Francisco, CA
Hi @solardudesf

All Model S and Model X vehicles built from March 2018 onwards had the MCU2 (and radio) from the factory. You can look at the sticker on the lower section of the driver side door for your car's build month and year, maybe your Model S had the MCU2 all along and was not updated.

If it did went through the Infotainment Upgrade, the fact that you can see the "Radio" and "XM" buttons on your car's MCU, means the previous owner did get the radio upgrade as well. I got the Infotainment Upgrade on my 2017 Model S and then got the radio upgrade a few months later. During that time, I didn't have the Radio or XM icons on my screen nor could I see them on the sources toggle list on the audio settings.
@Art_Vandelay Thank you! This is just the info I was looking for.

Reactions: Art_Vandelay

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC