Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM Mystery Issue still unresolved after 2 years!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 years ago i discovered an intermittent problem with my XM radio in my 2014 P85+... one of the stations I have pre-programmed is channel 231... this channel and the 2-3 surrounding it in each direction are the channels that broadcast NFL games each Sunday... when i put it on 231 and push the down arrow to go to 230... it randomly and inexplicably goes to any random channel (not any of the other preset channels) it may go to channel 23.... click back to the 231 preset hit the down arrow again and this time it might go to channel 47.... repeat the process and the next time it may be channel 63 it jumps to.... it should go from 231 to 230 but goes where ever the heck it feels like... when you do this consecutively the random channel is always a higher number than the previous random channel.... once the random channel gets close to the 200s... after going back and forth maybe 10 times... then it starts to work as it should.... during this time if i go to the 231 preset and push the up channel button to go to 232... it takes me to the XM Preview screen with the phone number to subscribe..

This is maddening when you want to get to a game that is being broadcast on 227 or 228... and I don't want to set every channel in that range as a preset....

The other oddity is that it is intermittent... I have sent Tesla service 4-5 videos of the malfunction, given them half a dozen exact time stamps and still no solution. Last year they changed the radio module in the car and immediately told me that this was not going to fix the problem... A month later I got a call from Tesla telling me that they had not forgotten about the issue and that they had escalated it to the Freemont Techs. then nothing for months and months...

I took the car in last week for some other issues and asked about why there was still no solution on this "open" repair item... they told me they needed another time stamp... which i gave them again... after 5 days in the shop they could not fix it still and told me that they would continue to investigate the issue but now needed a more recent video / time stamp when it happens again... On a whim i got in my car to leave the service center and tried to see if it would react incorrectly again AND IT DID... i walked back into the service center and said..."Need a time stamp... how about now" the service person and a tech came out to the car and witnessed it first hand.(Second time a local tech saw it in person).. Not sure if they tried themselves to recreate the problem in the 5 days they had the car but I got it to malfunction. they marked down the time stamp and told me they would be in touch...

So 2 years later...Still no explanation, still no solution, it only happens when leaving an preset station in the 227-232 range... If i have channel 33 programmed it always goes to 32 or 34 using the arrows...

I think they should give me a new P100D for my troubles but so far no luck.... anyone else in the world ever experience this one??

thanks