TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

XM or AM?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jetson, Jul 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jetson

Jetson Member

There is no mention of XM or AM. Are either available on the Model 3?

• Informative x 1
  2. Scannerman

Scannerman Member

Please correct me if I am having a 'senior moment', but to the best of my recollection, some early, official communication, indicated there would be 3 roof options. A metal roof, which included a moon roof along with XM capability, a glass roof, and lastly a standard metal roof.
    Is it possible some of these options are forthcoming? Or have they sacrificed some of these options permanently, in the interest of rapidly ramping up production. Ditto- Air Suspension! The absence of air suspension could very well be a deal breaker for me. (It would depend on the nature of the existing Model 3 suspension).

Scannerman

3. AceSkywalker

AceSkywalker Member

As far as people know, no satellite radio for the sake of simplification. Tesla's have never had AM radio.

The lack of satellite radio as an option is annoying, especially if you were to take this car cross country driving and are out in the middle of nowhere on the interstate where there are only 2-3 FM stations and country & classic rock isn't your thing. You could always use the internet radio on the car or from your phone, but that's reliant on cell coverage which is a crapshoot in some parts of the interstate system (versus a line of sight to the sky for Sirus/XM).

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 2
  4. CalBlue 85D

CalBlue 85D Member

The MS has AM radio, it's old fashioned.

• Informative x 1
  5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

My vintage S does! Although I think the reception is pretty terrible.

IMG_0392.JPG

• Informative x 1
  6. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

#6 Mark Z, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Informative x 3
  7. Jetson

Jetson Member

#7 Jetson, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    This is very disappointing. If you drive in the canyons or hills of LA and much of Southern California, you can't get cell reception, so the only way to listen to sports and Howard Stern are via AM and XM.

• Like x 2
  8. codex57

codex57 Member

Meh, I just listen to the gigs of songs stored on my phone. It's not a big deal.

• Like x 4
  9. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. codex57

codex57 Member

Wow, those things are way more affordable than I expected. Granted, I haven't looked at an aftermarket radio in nearly 2 decades.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

This is not a deal-breaker for me. Although not having satellite-based XM is slightly annoying, since sometimes it's the only radio you can get in remote areas with spotty cell coverage.

12. Scannerman

Scannerman Member

The challenge would almost certainly be, devising and executing a clean installation of the antenna.

Scannerman

13. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

Pretty sure most of these add-ons use an auxiliary input - I do not know if those exist in teslas ? If there is an input then this is a feasible solution (IMO).
    Without that input you have to find an unused FM station to set as the unit's station to use...the reception and persistence of that station are subject to change as you drive around, kinda sucks depending on how active of an area you are in. I know this cuz my '05 S40 doesn't have an input so I'm living this until I get my model 3.

• Disagree x 1
  14. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

A Bluetooth transmitter might be a better solution for the 3.

15. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

I understand that AM reception is affected by the induction motor(s). I can't for the life of me figure out why Tesla hasn't considered the XM radio a solution that many of their high tech customers are interested in. I've heard mounting the antenna to their glass roof is hard. Hmm. If only Tesla knew some smart and innovative engineers to solve that problem. I don't think that most Tesla owners see the internet radio as an acceptable replacement for XM, so what is the deal Tesla?

16. CalBlue 85D

CalBlue 85D Member

#16 CalBlue 85D, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    The whole media interface is a mess and none of the recent software updates have done much of anything to address it. Probably made things worse in some cases. A lot of people have been asking about this and nothing to show for it. Sorry.

• Like x 1
  17. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Member

But that usually means you can't use your phone at the same time.

18. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

In Model X, I used a battery SONY AM radio with an FM transmitter plugged into the 12 volt socket. Works if the FM frequency is unused in the area.

XM portables also work. The oldest models had very strong FM transmitters. I would prefer to have an auxiliary stereo input jack for Model X and 3 in addition to the Bluetooth for the phone.

19. JoeCoolMan24

JoeCoolMan24 Member

Wow...had no idea about the lack of AM radio. That's a huge kick in the sack. I listen to sports talk radio or games pretty much 75% of the time in my car. This is a pretty massive disappointment for me that I can no longer listen to White Sox, Blackhawks, or Notre Dame games in my car, or listen to my daily sports talk radio.

• Like x 1
  20. silentsnow31802

I just tried to install one of those portable Sirius radios on my Model S.... Keep in mind the antenna attaches to the outside of the car via a magnet.... Not sure if the 3 panels are actually aluminum or steel.

Also the FM transmitter route is crap. Static and changes depending on location. The radios have a line out but the Tesla does not have a line in. Bluetooth transmitter might be the only option for reliable clear radio.