Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM or AM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow...had no idea about the lack of AM radio. That's a huge kick in the sack. I listen to sports talk radio or games pretty much 75% of the time in my car. This is a pretty massive disappointment for me that I can no longer listen to White Sox, Blackhawks, or Notre Dame games in my car, or listen to my daily sports talk radio.

A lot of radio stations can be found on Tune In which is built into the current cars (and I assume will be in the 3). Take a look and see if your stations are listed. Sports radio | Listen Online Free | TuneIn

There is no mention of XM or AM. Are either available on the Model 3?
Tesla dropped AM on the Model X (as did BMW on the i3). The reason given was interference with the electric motors.

Please correct me if I am having a 'senior moment', but to the best of my recollection, some early, official communication, indicated there would be 3 roof options. A metal roof, which included a moon roof along with XM capability, a glass roof, and lastly a standard metal roof.
From what I remember, the three options most people were expecting were Metal, Glass, and Panoramic (glass that opens). I'd be surprised if they don't offer a Panoramic option at some point, since the Model 3 already provides a cross member behind the driver. I'm also surprised they don't offer XM for the same reason.

On the Model S Tesla requires the panoramic roof for XM. However, the roof design on the Model S is completely different than the Model 3 - without the panoramic roof it's one sheet of glass over the driver and passenger, with a smaller piece behind the passengers. The panoramic roof adds the structural support needed for the front to slide open and therefore provides a mounting location for the antenna.

I pretty much exclusively listen to XM radio via their app since I'm driving my wife's civic until the model 3 comes. We have the satellite connection in her Odyssey and I use the app in the civic.

FYI, if you aren't on a promotional rate with XM, you are paying too much. I've been on a promotional rate with XM for the last 5 years. Basically all you do is get the $25 for 5 months or $60 for 6 (with app use), then schedule a calendar date a few days before your 6 months are up and tell them you want the promotional rate again or you will cancel. They have given it to me literally every single time without much fuss. If you think about it, they are broadcasting that signal to all of these cars already, so even if they make $5 a month it's still worth it to them.

Pretty sure most of these add-ons use an auxiliary input - I do not know if those exist in teslas ? If there is an input then this is a feasible solution (IMO).
Without that input you have to find an unused FM station to set as the unit's station to use...the reception and persistence of that station are subject to change as you drive around, kinda sucks depending on how active of an area you are in. I know this cuz my '05 S40 doesn't have an input so I'm living this until I get my model 3.

I'm told by Sirius that their Lynx radio communicates through Bluetooth but I would have to do more research into it.

• Informative
Reactions: Scannerman
A lot of radio stations can be found on Tune In which is built into the current cars (and I assume will be in the 3). Take a look and see if your stations are listed. Sports radio | Listen Online Free | TuneIn

I am a Sirius fan for the talk radio but I did a 7-day trial on Tunein and found the talk channel that I listen to 98% of the time when I drive on road trips. That lessened the pain of not having XM on the M3.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I have a XM radio unit (XM Commander) that I move from car to car. In my Highlander I place the antenna on the inside at the back on the inside wheel hump. Gets decent reception. On a previous sedan, I ran the antenna to the rear window shelf and attached to deck lid using the hook half of a velcro strip. I didn't want to deal with routing the antenna outside. I've had XM radio for many years and always placed the XM radio antenna inside the car near a window. Plan to do the same with Model 3.

I have a XM radio unit (XM Commander) that I move from car to car. In my Highlander I place the antenna on the inside at the back on the inside wheel hump. Gets decent reception. On a previous sedan, I ran the antenna to the rear window shelf and attached to deck lid using the hook half of a velcro strip. I didn't want to deal with routing the antenna outside. I've had XM radio for many years and always placed the XM radio antenna inside the car near a window. Plan to do the same with Model 3.

I don't believe that the M3 will have a radio as we know it in our current cars. So there is no radio to plug-in an XM radio to in the conventional way via a 3+mm plug. Bluetooth or via an SD port would seem to be the only way, so the XM Commander Touch wouldn't work...no Bluetooth or SD plug, that I know of.

I don't believe that the M3 will have a radio as we know it in our current cars. So there is no radio to plug-in an XM radio to in the conventional way via a 3+mm plug. Bluetooth or via an SD port would seem to be the only way, so the XM Commander Touch wouldn't work...no Bluetooth or SD plug, that I know of.
You can use a Bluetooth transmitter that takes a 3.5mm input. Juggling between the XM tuner and a phone on Bluetooth could get tricky, though.

I am not sure what you mean by "SD plug".

Bah, Tesla...bunch of AM haters. I've been gimping along with an FM transmitter plugged into a cigarette lighter socket. Not to listen to AM (as my S does have AM), but to listen to DVDs. No aux in on the S either. :-( I wouldn't hold out much hope for the 3 on this.

Make sure you call it a cigarette lighter socket by the way. Maybe someday the industry will be embarrassed enough to change the design to something that isn't intended for puff the magic dragon.

Wow, those things are way more affordable than I expected. Granted, I haven't looked at an aftermarket radio in nearly 2 decades.
Affordable to buy the radio; I always found the service itself to be expensive. You can't have more than one device tied to a subscription, so if you have 2 cars each with XM, you pay for 2 subscriptions. Oh, and BTW also, the service drops out when the satellite is at the extreme ends of its orbit, and also when there is terrain in the way. Further, all the news-type NPR shows (Morning Edition, All Things Considered, etc.) are unavailable. Also, when you cancel the service, they will call you up every 3 weeks for the rest of your life trying to get you re-up. Etc. So, I am not a fan.

Affordable to buy the radio; I always found the service itself to be expensive. You can't have more than one device tied to a subscription, so if you have 2 cars each with XM, you pay for 2 subscriptions. Oh, and BTW also, the service drops out when the satellite is at the extreme ends of its orbit, and also when there is terrain in the way. Further, all the news-type NPR shows (Morning Edition, All Things Considered, etc.) are unavailable. Also, when you cancel the service, they will call you up every 3 weeks for the rest of your life trying to get you re-up. Etc. So, I am not a fan.
Just forward calls from them to the XM customer support line.

• Funny
Reactions: erthquake
I am a Sirius fan for the talk radio but I did a 7-day trial on Tunein and found the talk channel that I listen to 98% of the time when I drive on road trips. That lessened the pain of not having XM on the M3.

IHeart Radio is another great app for talk radio. I too listen a lot and the reception is actually far better than I get from my AM radio.

So as far as I can tell we still don't have confirmation one way or the other if SiriusXM will be available in the Model 3. It'd be nice to get an official answer on this. I'm not a fan of installing one of those plug in SiriuxXM receivers. If my only option is to get it working using the SiriusXM app on my phone and streaming it from there, so be it. But it would be nice to have this factory integrated into the car.

I agree with @PoitNarf, SXM shouldn't require a bunch of kludgy workarounds. It should be a simple, integrated, satellite-based option. I may be in the minority, but the fact that it's broadcast over satellite is a big deal to me. It means being able to receive a signal literally anywhere (except under overpasses), regardless of cell coverage.

• Love
Reactions: Scannerman
Will be interesting to find out the entire entertainment set up. Maybe Tesla decided that the cell networks are becoming so ubiquitous and robust that they will be sufficient going forward. Maybe SXM will be a "streaming only" option? I have had XM on all my cars since 2001. First 10 bagger I ever owned: "Why would anyone ever pay for radio!!!" :rolleyes:

RT