Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XM or AM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no mention of XM or AM. Are either available on the Model 3?

Like so many people, I think a car’s radio is very important. It connects the driver to the outside world and is therefore a very important piece of equipment on a car.

For right now we have been told the Model 3 will have FM/Internet capable radio. OUCH! There’s that word Internet. If the car is going to have some type of cell service that makes the entire car’s connectivity work and also the streaming Internet radio, what happens when you enter a dead zone for cellphone reception? When traveling this happens a lot to me and others. So what do we do….just live without the radio until we come back from the dark side of the moon?

Satellite radio made life better for a lot of people who drive in areas with little or no radio or cellphone service and therefore no internet capabilities. The satellite radio antenna requires no Internet signal and therefore is almost always available. Yes, there are exceptions on the receptivity of satellite radio but nothing like not having any cellphone service and therefore no internet capability.

As I see it, the Internet is not always going to be available in a car. It is perhaps the weakest link in the Model 3 radio system and frankly surprises me that Tesla would limit the car radio to this degree.

Now, all of this is based on what we have heard thus far from Tesla about the Model 3. All of us are starved for concrete factual information…ALL of the information, not just tidbits.

If you own a MS or MX please share your experience with using Internet radio. Things like dead zones, quality, etc.

Reactions: Scannerman
Internet radio in the car will eventually catch on.

WHEN:

SpaceX puts up their 4,000+ satellites for internet-from-space

IF:

The antenna/transmitter for that setup is small enough to be portable.

THEN:

You'll have 100% internet connectivity all over the planet and Tesla can tell AT&T (or whomever they buy their cell bandwidth from) to go pound sand.

If you own a MS or MX please share your experience with using Internet radio. Things like dead zones, quality, etc.

I've made several trips from TX to CA and would often lose connectivity in some stretches. My phone (not AT&T) is my secondary. Worst case, I usually have a thumb drive in the car with some music on it.

Additionally, if you're a Pandora user (phone), I recently learned while flying that it caches some of your most listened to music and will offer that to you if you lose connectivity on the phone. Would be great if something like this were implemented in the Tesla.

Internet radio in the car will eventually catch on.

WHEN:

SpaceX puts up their 4,000+ satellites for internet-from-space

IF:

The antenna/transmitter for that setup is small enough to be portable.

THEN:

You'll have 100% internet connectivity all over the planet and Tesla can tell AT&T (or whomever they buy their cell bandwidth from) to go pound sand.
That's great, but we do live in the present.

• Funny
Reactions: zenmaster
So as far as I can tell we still don't have confirmation one way or the other if SiriusXM will be available in the Model 3. It'd be nice to get an official answer on this. I'm not a fan of installing one of those plug in SiriuxXM receivers. If my only option is to get it working using the SiriusXM app on my phone and streaming it from there, so be it. But it would be nice to have this factory integrated into the car.

There is no way M3 has XM since none of the other Tesla vehicles have had it.

What's the big deal you say? Why can't Tesla just include it you say?

Well, it is a big deal.

1. Tesla has to source a manufacturer of the XM receiver hardware and integrate it into their radio. This adds cost to their vehicle.
2. Tesla has to write software so that their interface can work with this hardware.
3. Tesla has to design their vehicle to accommodate the clunky XM antenna. There's a reason you see the "shark fin" or "bump" on the roofs of many newer cars, it is for routing of the XM (and cellular) antennas into the car.... tough to do on a Model 3 with its clean glass roof look.
4. XM is a PITA to deal with. I'm pretty sure that companies either need to fork over the cost of the introduction to the XM service or pass that cost along to their customers. Tesla will have to field support calls on this when customers have trouble with the XM service or their subscription... even if it's nothing Tesla can do anything about it.

XM.... just say no. If someone is in areas without cellular coverage frequently and desires XM then they should buy a portable unit, hook it up to a Bluetooth dongle and connect that to their Model 3.

There is no way M3 has XM since none of the other Tesla vehicles have had it.

What's the big deal you say? Why can't Tesla just include it you say?

Well, it is a big deal.

1. Tesla has to source a manufacturer of the XM receiver hardware and integrate it into their radio. This adds cost to their vehicle.
2. Tesla has to write software so that their interface can work with this hardware.
3. Tesla has to design their vehicle to accommodate the clunky XM antenna. There's a reason you see the "shark fin" or "bump" on the roofs of many newer cars, it is for routing of the XM (and cellular) antennas into the car.... tough to do on a Model 3 with its clean glass roof look.
4. XM is a PITA to deal with. I'm pretty sure that companies either need to fork over the cost of the introduction to the XM service or pass that cost along to their customers. Tesla will have to field support calls on this when customers have trouble with the XM service or their subscription... even if it's nothing Tesla can do anything about it.

XM.... just say no. If someone is in areas without cellular coverage frequently and desires XM then they should buy a portable unit, hook it up to a Bluetooth dongle and connect that to their Model 3.

Teslas (MS or MX) with the pano roof do have XM.

Reactions: Rich966
It works fine with Wi-Fi at home. After driving a short distance, it usually disconnects from TuneIn and I have to repress the icon or switch to another station and return to the desired station. All of my 3 Teslas have operated this way with the revised interface firmware. Once the connection to cellular occurs, it holds well across cellular zones.

I have been pleased with cellular access across the country. Mountain, valley and remote areas may have no signal. Stay on the interstate for reliability. Have a USB drive loaded with music files for the quiet zones or try to listen to a FM station. All Model X and Model 3 drivers should consider carrying a portable AM radio for the AM information stations noted on the road signs.

Alert Stations across America

Last edited:
Why Electric Cars Are Ditching AM Radio

A good read. I'm disappointed, too. Seems like HD Radio, XM, and AM would've been useful. What is up with Tesla and not giving us the right media in our cars? I doubt Spotify is coming any time soon. The media player is still resentful. You have to suffer low-quality SBC Bluetooth (instead of AAC or AptX) in the Model S/X.

I was excited for a seamless experience switching between the sources. And, exactly: AM is still useful.

This sounds like Flash Player and the iPhone. An aging technology that still gets used vs. a new technological product trying to cut free.

What have we confirmed about the radio(s) in model 3?
  • I don't suspect they'll offer XM and I haven't heard they will, but have we heard for sure that XM is not available?
  • Does it have HD FM? I was recently in a Buick with HD FM and was impressed with how much metadata comes across the HD FM signal (albumn art, artist, song title, etc)
  • I think it's confirmed that no AM?
  • Internet streaming audio CONFIRMED
  • Premium audio has upgraded/more speakers/power; any "head-unit" upgrades?

I emailed Tesla this morning and got a call back from them within about 10 minutes. The representative I spoke to said SIrius/XM will not be available on the Model 3, just FM and the internet streaming. She did say it does have an AUX jack so you may be able to hook a portable XM radio into the car and or stream in over bluetooth to the car. Kinda of a bummer I have had XM for over 8-9 years and listen to it exclusively in my car, don't use FM or AM at all. Will have to either stream it or get a small portable unit and run it through the AUX jack. Might also be able to stream it via the XM website as well, will have to test that. She did mention that I wasnt the only one asking about it and being disappointed it wasn't available, so maybe if they from enough of their customers it might be added at a later date who knows.

This sounds like Flash Player and the iPhone. An aging technology that still gets used vs. a new technological product trying to cut free.
While similar on the surface, there were very good reasons to ditch Flash - much better than the reason for not including AM.

I emailed Tesla this morning and got a call back from them within about 10 minutes. The representative I spoke to said SIrius/XM will not be available on the Model 3, just FM and the internet streaming. She did say it does have an AUX jack so you may be able to hook a portable XM radio into the car and or stream in over bluetooth to the car. Kinda of a bummer I have had XM for over 8-9 years and listen to it exclusively in my car, don't use FM or AM at all. Will have to either stream it or get a small portable unit and run it through the AUX jack. Might also be able to stream it via the XM website as well, will have to test that. She did mention that I wasnt the only one asking about it and being disappointed it wasn't available, so maybe if they from enough of their customers it might be added at a later date who knows.
Disappointing for those who want XM, but nice to get confirmation of an AUX input.

Reactions: ikjadoon
This is extremely disappointing. I'm honestly a little tired of Elon's hyperbole about "better than anything else at the price" when in this regard, it clearly isn't. Out of curiosity, I tried tuning in the HD FM simulcast of a local AM talk station in my wife's Escape, and the reception was horrible. It was constantly cutting in and out. Maybe it was her car, but if this is indicative of the radio experience I'm going to have in my Model 3, this is going to be a big letdown. I'm hoping the digital radio will be bolstered with cellular connectivity. Still want a satellite-based signal on SXM, and I refuse to do a dongle or aftermarket add-on tuner. This should at the very least be a factory option.

• Love
Reactions: Scannerman
My dream scenario is that Elon holds a special event where he announces SpaceX has launched an array of satellites covering North America, welcomes "special guest" James Meyer, CEO of SiriusXM, and that all Teslas built from 2017 forward would have full SiriusXM support, plus coast-to-coast internet and voice calling over satellite broadband, and interactive features exclusive to Tesla owners. Probably not going to happen until 2025, but a man can dream.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I don't care about AM, since this is discontinued in our country since quite a while. My problem is that there is not DAB+ radio listed (digital radio) in the feature list of model 3 (S/X have one). FM sucks and will be disabled over the next few years in Europe, so you might end up with just internet radio?